Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic what type of bullet (Read 740 times)
levactn

Be prepared-in & out of
season

what type of bullet
Jul 30th, 2018 at 10:54am
Print Post  
Am looking into getting a Lyman 50 cal. from shop in Lower Hutt. Reading about what is the best bullet for this calibre - 48 twist. Read that soft rounds are very capable for Deer. What have others found to be ideal for this rifle?

sometimes i sits & thinks, & sometimes i just sits. never miss a good chance to shut-up
when your dead you don't know your dead. All the pain is felt by others. Same thing happens when your stupid!

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: what type of bullet
Reply #1 - Jul 30th, 2018 at 10:15pm
Print Post  
Can't help you with a fifty - I don't think I ever owned one.

I do have a .45 with 1:20" twist I shot 480+ grain solid base projectiles I hollow pointed out of - and that was effective on deer. I had one of those bullets go in the point of the shoulder on a good size Rimutaka hind - and exit the opposite rear ham - it swung around as I fired.
That gun will also shoot the Gould HP bullet - and that has been a very good bullet in that muzzleloader, plus my 45-70 cartridge gun
I actually won a BP competition with that 1:20" gun.

I also got a .54 cal 1:66 twist I shoot Lyman 533476 Minie balls out of. I hollow point them too and paper patch to a light friction fit in the bore over 80 grs Goex FFg.
Those minies shoot as well as the ball out to 100 yards - (3 1/2" five shot group) - one I dug out the dirt had flattened out to 27mm diameter.
Went to the Minie because balls I dug out at the range showed minimal expansion.
Haven't shot anything with that.

Also got a .58 cal Enfield Musketoon with a replacement slow twist barrel - 1:78".
I shoot a home made (mould) solid base bullet out of that I also paper patch and hollow pointed.
I lost my notes for that, but I remember it shoots well.
Prior to that bullet I shot a PP'd Minie (HP) and that was probably the best killing bullet I ever used out of an ML.

Current toy is a .577 Snider I'm trying to get shooting.
That's a 1:48" twist and shoots the round ball quite well - four shots under 2" at fifty yards with one flyer 85mm away.
That's a 325 grain soft .600" ball over 75 grns homemade FF powder.
I do want to shoot a Minie out of that and have played with a number of moulds that haven't work too well. It will shoot conicals quite well, but only with light powder charges - 45 grs FF homemade.
It's quite a light gun - 6 3/4 lbs and recoil was getting a bit stiff with those heavy bullets looking for the next 'accurate load'.

Your fifty should shoot both ball and conicals - and either should be fine for hunting. Just depends on which you get the better accuracy with.

I do like the heavier weight with elongated bullets, especially with a hollow point either 3 or 6mm deep. In my .54 cal I hollow point 9mm deep (with 4 or 5mm drill in lathe) and they don't require high velocity to flatten out.
The heavier weight helps that mushroomed bullet to continue penetrating and I don't recall finding any of those bullets inside a deer - they all passed through.
I also modify my moulds to give a good metplat before HP'ing.

Don't really know if that helps you - with luck 'Flintlock' will hop on - I think he has a fifty and will likely have different thoughts on what's worked best with him.

IP Logged

Tasbay

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #2 - Jul 30th, 2018 at 11:02pm
Print Post  
Lyman Trade Rifle is normally used with a Patched round ball. I`d look at .490 or .495 round ball. Ticking patch (buy it by the meter from a draper). 70- 100 grains of FF black powder.
The 1-48 twist will stabilise Round Balls and conical bullets.
Have a look on Track of the Wolf and Dixie Gunworks for moulds, flints and such. Usually a hell of a lot cheaper buying from the U.S than getting here. I`d also look at what it would cost to get either of the above to send you out the rifle. If I remember correctly it was about $150 to get a rifle sent out. These are not classified as firearms in the U.S so Dixie and Wolf will send them out. Just need a import permit from your Arms officer.

IP Logged

Flintlock
Donor Member

Reply #3 - Jul 31st, 2018 at 1:12pm
Print Post  
For me 1/48 is a fast twist . I ,now , only use round ball rifles and muskets . I am highly allergic to lead fumes so I buy swaged round balls , I shoot .495 balls in.50 rifles with round bottom rifling and .490 in square cut rifling .
Your 1/48" twist Lyman is made for the US black powder hunting seasons  and should shoot conicals better than round balls , the Lyman Plains bullet would be my 1st choice with the Lyman Maxi ball 2nd . Cast the bullets in pure lead and you will find they work just fine on deer . With the conicals there is less risk of setting the country alight with a smouldering patch . Wink

Shooting is the most fun you can legally have with your clothes on .
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards