Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic What I learned this season (Read 453 times)
oobuck
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

What I learned this season
Jul 29th, 2018 at 7:47pm
Print Post  
25 seasons down the track and never too old to learn.
Shotguns: I had a remington 1100 back in the 90's- great gun, sold it because everything was pointing to steel shot and the 'need' for 3-3.1/2" chambers for shooting steel. Had many guns after that but never found one that fitted/suited me better than the old 1100. Shot many years with a Baikal mp153 in the 3.5" chamber. Great gun but except for the first little while, never used the 3.5" shells (too expensive and not much difference in performance over good quality 2-3/4") When after 14 years, I thought it got too heavy,thinking I needed a lighter gun to get on to the birds "quicker" and easier to carry, changed to a weatherby sa-08 that was light as a feather. Mate who shoots an older beretta told me he LIKES the extra weight to soak up recoil  and when the bloody thing belted the shit out of my shoulder during a parry weekend up north (40 in the bagx 2 shooters), I looked for something else. Ended up buying a Remington 1100 G3 off TM for a steel ($700), best gun I've ever had! (I've owned 13 shotguns by this stage) smooth , low recoil, always fires, heavy but no disadvantage for me (I'm a big guy).and just 'feels right' . Full circle. I'll keep this gun til I die.

Patterning: I had a shitload of winchester ranger lead no2 shot which I have used in the past to great effect for parrie shooting on paddocks. So I decided to finally pattern my new gun after years of being resistant to the idea- she'll be right attitude- I just thought it was too hard and not worth the effort. Then I read Ralph Walkers excellent book '"Shotgun gunsmithing" and listening to his common sense and practical approach to patterning, I decide it was well worth the effort and not so difficult at all.

Well with any choke from full to ic- a small dog and its owner could have walked through that pattern without a scratch!

Anyone actually reading this, let me know if I should go on as my missus is giving me shit for typing so much.

IP Logged

Salmoner
Donor Member

I love salmon fishin

Re: What I learned this season
Reply #1 - Jul 29th, 2018 at 9:31pm
Print Post  
I love threads like this , great for learning off others mistakes.

I will think of more but here is one that has helped me.
When using a layout blind out the lake /riverbed type area of neutral back ground. Cabbage tree leaves bundled up with cable ties I have found as great camo for that type of hunting. They are stiff and so keep there shape and very robust, my bundles of leaves are in there 2nd season.

oobuck keep typing !

IP Logged

oobuck
Donor Member

Reply #2 - Jul 30th, 2018 at 2:14pm
Print Post  
The reason I say that is when I examined the pattern and drew lines around the bare patches, what I ended up with looked remarkably like a small poodle. Just needed an eye and a couple of ears which I drew on (they didn't have any holes in them either). No doubt this load/gun combination was a DOG. Started me thinking about some of my inexplicable misses and 'off days'
I was using Ralph's method of patterning- 30' circle on a good large sheet of paper with a central aiming point to establish if the pattern was centered. What i'm looking for is a good killing pattern at 40m with the full choke, 35m with the mod choke and 30m with the i.c. Counting the pellets and working out the percentages works well but it's not really necessary- you can just look at the pattern and see if it's evenly distributed and dense enough or 'blown' sticks out like dogs..... well you get the picture anyway.Places within the pattern where you can put your hand without touching pellet holes mean lost birds...
Eley alphamax 3's 4's and 5's all patterned beautifully with the 3 different chokes and the Kent 3" turkey loads with the massive 1-3/4oz of 4's threw the most even and dense full choke pattern at the 40m line with around 2 dozen hits on the duck shaped target! used these loads during the season with really great results near and far. And just love that Remington.
I know I'm a slow learner, but not patterning your shotgun with the loads you are wanting to use, at the range you will mostly be shooting is a bit like sticking a new scope on your rifle and going deer hunting without sighting it in first. It's a really good reminder too of what the real capabilities of you shotgun are. Some must need help with this as I'm sure from looking at what other shooters are having a crack at, there are those that think you can knock down ducks at 100 meters or so if you throw enough shots at them.
Make sure you get ALL the pellets out of your breast meat before you get it made into yummy venison and duck salami- I cracked a tooth on a pellet and it cost me $1200 at the dentists.
Shooting without a dog after so many years sux, even if he was a little 'difficult' at times. He never lost a bird that couldn't get up a fly away.

IP Logged

HUNTEE

Reply #3 - Aug 1st, 2018 at 9:11am
Print Post  
thanks for that good advice and well written mate Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

CIB

Reply #4 - Aug 1st, 2018 at 12:35pm
Print Post  
I 'upgraded' from an 1100 for the same reason and I often wonder whether it was necessary given I use 2 3/4inch for 80% of my hunting and it was such a pleasure to shoot

IP Logged

Oscar
Donor Member

Let Us Prey

Reply #5 - Aug 1st, 2018 at 1:52pm
Print Post  
This lesson is a few years' old for me now, maybe everyone else has learned it and Im slow but: Electronic Earmuffs are AWESOME.

You will get more birds as you hear them coming far far easier, you protect your hearing, you can have better yarns with mates, your ears don't get sore/irritated part way through the morning (ear plugs could be a pain, literally), they compensate for aged/damaged hearing.

I put them off for a while and now regret it. Better this year than next, if you're weighing it up

Herbs before herbivores

Not all those who wander are lost

IP Logged

Salmoner
Donor Member

I love salmon fishin

Reply #6 - Aug 1st, 2018 at 3:55pm
Print Post  
Oscar wrote on Aug 1st, 2018 at 1:52pm:
This lesson is a few years' old for me now, maybe everyone else has learned it and Im slow but: Electronic Earmuffs are AWESOME.

You will get more birds as you hear them coming far far easier, you protect your hearing, you can have better yarns with mates, your ears don't get sore/irritated part way through the morning (ear plugs could be a pain, literally), they compensate for aged/damaged hearing.

I put them off for a while and now regret it. Better this year than next, if you're weighing it up

Champion, that is exactly what i am after. I have just been to Bay Audio to get my hearing aids adjusted and spoke to them about plugs [also asked about plugs for the dog but they dont do those]  but those electronic muffs seem the go.

Which ones did you buy and from where please ?

IP Logged

Oscar
Donor Member

Let Us Prey

Reply #7 - Aug 1st, 2018 at 4:21pm
Print Post  
These babies, from Amazon: Howard Leight by Honeywell Impact Sport Sound Amplification Electronic Shooting Earmuff

They were recommended on the Forum and have been well worth it!

Herbs before herbivores

Not all those who wander are lost

IP Logged

QUACKERS
Forum Font

DUCK FEVER NEVER DIES.

Reply #8 - Aug 1st, 2018 at 6:16pm
Print Post  
Ill 3rd that electronic earmuffs. A little to late for me as my ears are poked at such a young age from gun exposure. But those howard leights are mint. 90 odd bucks from the safety shop in penrose.

IP Logged

Clegg

work is a necessary evil
to pay for hunting

Reply #9 - Aug 3rd, 2018 at 2:39pm
Print Post  
Got my hearing tested earlier this week. Deafer in the left ear which is to be expected from a right-handed shooter. Using Peltor Tactical Sport Electronic muffs these days after wearing out a cheaper model a few years back. My nearly-14 year old boy is getting electronic muffs for his birthday next week - worthy investment for his future hearing.
Did have a pair of Howard Leight muffs at one point but they didn't survive getting run over...can't really blame the quality of the muffs for that. Embarrassed

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards