Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic my 2018 roar to west coast (Read 1916 times)
264Magic
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

my 2018 roar to west coast
Jul 29th, 2018 at 6:13am
Print Post  
only writing this cause nobody else is in a hurry to post their hunts over the winter(or maybe no one hunts winters anymore)
my friend dan from the states was coming out and i conviced him to bring his bow..  i hatched a plan to hunt the coast for a few days after a look around south canterbury
the stags roared well in my fav spot but no biggies seen,,we saw a nice bull tahr and i got dan to do a sneek but unfortunately a staggie who was hidden in a draw spotted him and did a runner right by the bull and blew that chance(got a wee vid which ill try to post)
so now to the coast,,whilst waiting for the chopper to return from dropping some trampers off at the whitcombe pass a vehicle arrived with two hunters,,one being robbie from the waikato whom id known for many yrs and even tried to drown going out over the bar at marakopa Grin
many moons ago i culled the hoki catchment and found a spot up high under the subalpine which was open yet fairly flat bush and had always held high numbers of stags(opposite rapid creek)
we got dropped off in the monkey scrub and beat our way down into the flat part to find no sign of deer having been present for about two yrs Shocked Shocked Shocked
well i never Shocked Shocked Shocked
i thought we should keep moving until some sign would indicate deer and then camp there,,several hours after dark we arrived back at the vehicle Grin Grin the good old 1080 trick again

so now it was a chamois hunt,,to the lewis and up the cannibal gorge to the top hut,,two mins after we started glassing i spotted one on the left in amongst a serrated face,,i hadnt brought a spotting scope as the idea had been to bush hunt so the binos were our only option but the horns didnt seem to stand out so no rush,,the wind was quite ferocious and after walking to within 600 yrds we withdrew back to camp as i only had the little 264 magic single shot with me and the wind constrained the range dramatically
this hunt convinced me and made me realize that a larger calibre going fast was required hence the purchase of an xbolt in 300wsm
next morning we hunted hard from the front porch with our binos and after a good hour dan spotted a buck way up high on a prominent spur,,now this fella looked real good as his head gear was skylined and after watching the cloud formations and movement a plan hatched and executed..did i mention trying to drown robbie ha now i did my best to kill poor old dan..that climb kept getting more and more challenging until we just had to keep going forward as going back became too dangerous
eventually got the job done but mr buck was nowhere to be seen and i was a very happy chappie to get dan down into the valley bottom
that dear readers was my west coast hunt and im going to tell you all that canterbury is the finest place one can wish to ever hunt,,from wallaby to tahr to hares n rabbits
ps,,for the time we spend in the hokitika river,,about 7 hours of light we saw 2 robins and one bellbird which i was surprised to see,,what no fantails,,sorry no fantails

It is much better to Hit the Animal in the right place, with a Rifle you can shoot well, then to hit it poorly with a Large Calibre..John Nosler

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Re: my 2018 roar to west coast
Reply #1 - Jul 29th, 2018 at 9:31am
Print Post  
good read old bean,at least you got to see something for the roar.my trip was a real fizzer with nothing seen or even heard for 3 days hunting in pike river area.

IP Logged

stug
Forum Font

Reply #2 - Jul 29th, 2018 at 11:06am
Print Post  
Sounds like a mission, at least you got out amongst it.

IP Logged

Charlie

Happy in the Hills

Reply #3 - Jul 30th, 2018 at 12:26pm
Print Post  
Bugger  Sad
When did that area get 1080'd?

IP Logged

Rumpy
Donor Member

Wishing I was out in the
hills.

Reply #4 - Jul 30th, 2018 at 6:47pm
Print Post  
Nice to see you still out trying your best to scare and exhaust the tourists. Pity the animal numbers were so low. Sad

.270 WIN   AWESOME SINCE 1925       "REMEMBER THE 6 P's" POOR PREPARATION PROVIDES PISS POOR PERFORMANCE

IP Logged

Trout
Donor Member

Top NZ WhiteTail

Reply #5 - Aug 4th, 2018 at 11:41am
Print Post  
Good adventure even with not many deer around.I walked down some valley below Franze a few yrs ago.All I found was dead deer lying around,about 8 in total.Not even butchered out for meat.Bloody waste. Angry

Shot a few deer,caugth some big trout and salmon

IP Logged

live free or die
Just Joined

Reply #6 - Sep 15th, 2018 at 4:50am
Print Post  
Narrowly escaping death was worth it for the company Les Smiley

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #7 - Sep 16th, 2018 at 11:45am
Print Post  
bugger. Did you see any possums..  Cheesy

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards