Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Mt Arthur Kahurangi Nat Park (Read 927 times)
flyingpillock

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Mt Arthur Kahurangi Nat Park
Jul 28th, 2018 at 8:43pm
Print Post  
Hi all

Looking to visit some new ground, just wanting to go for a walk really and usually restricted to places that I can take the hound but thought Id head up next week.
Although Im taking the gun not too sure if Id use it. Just wondering if the graham rd access point is as good as any, would be ace to see some fallow but more just dont want to be swamped with trampers.
Like I said more of a walk and an explore so no spot xs required
Cheers

IP Logged

J
Donor Member

Per Ardua

Re: Mt Arthur Kahurangi Nat Park
Reply #1 - Jul 28th, 2018 at 10:09pm
Print Post  
You will be swamped by trampers, at least on the tracks between huts. There were fallow there, but repeated 1080 drops have decimated them. There will still be the odd one, but best to leave them until a population can grow again (my view only). Not trying to put you off, but there are much better spots to hunt than that.

IP Logged

flyingpillock

Reply #2 - Jul 28th, 2018 at 10:19pm
Print Post  
Nope I appreciate your advice, like I said more just a walk, still taking the gun for now while I make the transition from armed
tramper to unarmed hiker😊 Think the anticipated views from the top will take me there regardless, hopefully not too many walkers on a monday
« Last Edit: Jul 29th, 2018 at 6:58am by flyingpillock »  

IP Logged

J
Donor Member

Per Ardua

Reply #3 - Jul 29th, 2018 at 7:52am
Print Post  
Have a nice walk, and I hope you can see the view on Monday - seemingly endless rain here lately.

IP Logged

flyingpillock

Reply #4 - Jul 31st, 2018 at 8:53am
Print Post  
Amazing wee spot, lucked out with the weather in the morning, ended up being just a walk, bolt and ammo stayed in the backpack. Will definitely have to head up again in summer.

IP Logged

CeeJ
Just Joined

Reply #5 - Aug 7th, 2018 at 6:34am
Print Post  
Seems to be a spot that the odd red will move through also, have seen a couple but majority of the time it is barren

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #6 - Aug 7th, 2018 at 9:45am
Print Post  
I trapped in there mid-late seventies and there were very few fallow in there then.
There were pigs in there, a lot of goats and bugger all people - like in zero.
Went in there a few years back and it's changed up around the top part with the nice road coming up and the car park - was none of that back yonder, just a rough 4WD track going to the top.
The Asbestos Mine huts a little north of Chaffey's hut at the bottom had gone too.
And just in case you're interested - the Chaffey's never lived in that Hut, it was built in that place after they had gone - they lived down by the Asbestos camp.

Some beautiful country in there and a lot of interesting features - dropped some rocks down some holes I found and I reckon they're still falling. Also found a maze on Mt Arthur with vertical limestone walls 8 - 10ft high and bits you had to sidle through they were so narrow.

Gold in there too - but I never found any.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards