Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic law change for gun barrel shortening (Read 1135 times)
pope
Donor Member

SAVE A HORSE, ride a cow
girl

law change for gun barrel shortening
Jul 28th, 2018 at 5:15pm
Print Post  
https://www.whaleoil.co.nz/2018/07/alistair-scott-has-to-be-one-of-the-stupidest...

this is interesting a propose law change to reguire a permit to shorten a gun barrel ,anybody seen this

IP Logged

264Magic
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: law change for gun barrel shortening
Reply #1 - Jul 28th, 2018 at 5:35pm
Print Post  
sure is a crazy world,,in the states most people can own a pistol but they have to jump thru hoops to own a suppressor Shocked

It is much better to Hit the Animal in the right place, with a Rifle you can shoot well, then to hit it poorly with a Large Calibre..John Nosler

IP Logged

gonehuntin
Forum Font

Reply #2 - Jul 28th, 2018 at 6:17pm
Print Post  
hopfully common sense will prevail although I dont have much faith in politicians these days.  guess there could be alot of potential crims on here.

and I know quite a few cops that have shortend hunting rifles fingers crossed theres lots of them nationwide that can have a wisper in big wigs ears

IP Logged

6.5x55bjai

Reply #3 - Jul 28th, 2018 at 6:20pm
Print Post  
All need to harangue their MPs. This proposed change is so stupid you could also be criminalised if you get your barrel recrowned which actually shortens your barrel albeit bugger all. Such a stupid proposal.
And common sense won't prevail unless a noise is made by all. Once it gets traction it will be hard to stop going thru.

IP Logged

Vulcan
Forum Font

Reply #4 - Jul 29th, 2018 at 1:03pm
Print Post  
pope wrote on Jul 28th, 2018 at 5:15pm:
https://www.whaleoil.co.nz/2018/07/alistair-scott-has-to-be-one-of-the-stupidest...

this is interesting a propose law change to reguire a permit to shorten a gun barrel ,anybody seen this

Actually you are quite wrong.

The proposed law states that "shorten a firearm", not a barrel... a firearm. So if you modify your stock you could get in trouble, and I wonder what this means for adjustable stocks, or if you change recoil pads?

IP Logged

tinass

Out there having a go
!

Reply #5 - Jul 29th, 2018 at 1:20pm
Print Post  
Fairly sure if you cut bits of either end (stock/barrel) the gun's going to be shorter !  Cheesy
It's an ill thought out idea by someone who, it would seem, has no idea of firearms. To potentially criminalize everyone who has or even unknowingly owns a trimmed/re crowned barrel or shortened stock is ludicrousness.
So many things not covered by his broad sweeping statements.

IP Logged

pope
Donor Member

SAVE A HORSE, ride a cow
girl

Reply #6 - Jul 29th, 2018 at 1:53pm
Print Post  
the way the bill is written leaves it open to interpretation,anyway he has seen the error of his ways and is changing the wording and making reference to the o/l length of 762mm, so common sense has prevailed

IP Logged

6.5x55bjai

Reply #7 - Jul 29th, 2018 at 2:19pm
Print Post  
No, common sense has not prevailed if he has rewritten and still intends to try and get backing and  push it thru.. The proposal is pointless and superfluous as the law (except the penalties) already covers the issues of length.

Flicking an email to Ron Marks later today. Won't bother with the proposer though who is well described by whale oil's blog and poorly informed by a policeman. Other hidden agendas?

IP Logged

Oscar
Donor Member

Let Us Prey

Reply #8 - Jul 29th, 2018 at 2:46pm
Print Post  
I got this reply from the MP in question:

"Hi

Thanks for your comments on the draft document. Feedback has been good and the wording will be changed to be more specific, referencing 762mm

Regards
Alastair"

So, at least that's a start. But, given it is already illegal to shorten under 762mm, what is his proposal actually going to be? Should just make sure the penalties for breaking that existing law match other firearms offences.

Herbs before herbivores

Not all those who wander are lost

IP Logged

Oscar
Donor Member

Let Us Prey

Reply #9 - Jul 29th, 2018 at 2:48pm
Print Post  
And have just read this on Facebook:

Quote:
From Chris Bishop, Nationalís Spokesperson for Police

The National Party is doing some work around the penalties for criminal use of firearms particularly by gangs. We want to make it harder for gangs to get firearms and easier to hold them to account when they do. This makes our communities safer and thatís a real focus for the National Party. However we must always work to find the right balance, and we will be very careful not to impinge on the rights of legitimate forearms users.

As part of these efforts Alastair Scott has been exploring ideas to look at raising the penalties for possessing and using sawn off rifles and shotguns. The feedback coming through from legitimate firearm users and the various associations has been very clear and very helpful and will be reflected in any legislative proposal.

We will listen and we will address your concerns. The current proposal is an idea and has not been discussed by the National caucus yet, nor has any bill been entered in the Parliamentary ballot. The draft that Alistair has circulated for feedback will need to be changed to focus more on penalties instead of a permitting system before we consider it further. We will make sure we get the balance right and we will make sure legitimate users arenít adversely affected.

As Police spokesperson, I am very keen to engage with licenced firearm owners. Later in the year along with your local National MPs I will be holding a series of ďNational Firearms ForumsĒ where licenced firearms owners will have the opportunity to meet me and in some cases our Justice spokesperson Mark Mitchell. The forums will be a great opportunity for licenced firearm owners shape our policy going into 2020. The sessions will primarily be held in the evening to allow people to attend after work and will be held in as many parts of the country as feasibly possible.

If you have any comments or questions please email me: Chris.bishop@parliament.govt.nz

Herbs before herbivores

Not all those who wander are lost

IP Logged

pope
Donor Member

SAVE A HORSE, ride a cow
girl

Reply #10 - Jul 29th, 2018 at 3:06pm
Print Post  
Yep read it too sounds like he,s coping plenty of flack,maybe just drop the bill altogether

IP Logged

Maddoghunter
Donor Member

Reply #11 - Jul 30th, 2018 at 8:41am
Print Post  
He emailed me back.
The proposed wording is being dropped in favour of some new wording around the current 762mm.

IP Logged

6.5x55bjai

Reply #12 - Jul 30th, 2018 at 11:53am
Print Post  
Apologies for getting OT but more namby pamby tightening of the noose around firearms usage in one form or another....

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12097754

I remember the days of school cadets and as part of that activity we all went off during school hours to shoot on the army range. That obviously would never be possible again.

IP Logged

X-POACHER-YEAH RYT
Donor Member

Have you ever hunted Middle
Earth?

Reply #13 - Jul 30th, 2018 at 12:55pm
Print Post  
Thank goodness, a bit of sanity seems to be prevailing amongst the Nats.,regarding this needless tinkering with the current Arms Act. So maybe he won't end up being known as  'Scott the Clot.' (Alastair  Scott )
School shooting ranges, way back in the past, I attended two different schools, each with their purpose built, well utilised, ranges for .22 target shooting.

Get as close as you can, then get a bit closer.

IP Logged

pope
Donor Member

SAVE A HORSE, ride a cow
girl

Reply #14 - Jul 30th, 2018 at 4:29pm
Print Post  
6.5x55bjai wrote on Jul 30th, 2018 at 11:53am:
Apologies for getting OT but more namby pamby tightening of the noose around firearms usage in one form or another....

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12097754

I remember the days of school cadets and as part of that activity we all went off during school hours to shoot on the army range. That obviously would never be possible again.

yep did it at my college too although didnt get to shoot any firearm

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards