Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Roar Trip 2018 (Read 990 times)
sambo243
Just Joined

Roar Trip 2018
Jul 27th, 2018 at 11:24am
Print Post  
A quick report of our 2018 roar trip

After working in Riverton over Easter weekend it was about time to drive up to North Canterbury and start our roar trip for 2018, I arrived to meet the boys at the homestead about 3pm which gave us time to head out to the hut and then to have a quick afternoon glass and look for potential animals, the boys had been out for 2 days already and had started identifying animals that were suitable targets for us over the next 5 days. We set up the hut and then made our way to where we thought a reasonable stag may be living, we let out a few roars and got the bino’s out to scan the area and were starting to get replies within minutes, 1, 2, 3, maybe even 4 stags within the area were all starting to warm their pipes but none were visible as of yet, we continued playing this game for about 40 minutes until we decided we had to make a move into the bush and try to close the gap, of they were not going to find us then we would have to find them. We make our way into the bush and the stag we are after was getting closer and closer, we could hear branches snapping and the roars were ever present but we still couldn’t manage to get a look at the animal, after 30 minutes of bush stalking we decided to get back to the open and try roar him down to us one last time. When we got down to the flats we heard a crash and a bash from within 300m on the bush edge, this was another stag that was coming out for a look, we quickly bunkered down and let out another roar to which this stag came out and exposed himself, he looked like a very nice mature stag, the exact animal we were searching for. As he got closer and closer he progressively got more aggressive, I could see through the bino’s that he had 3 on one top and wasn’t too sure on the other but he was definitely a taker, a couple more minutes watching him get closer and getting ourselves into a suitable shooting position then BANG, the crack of the 7mm08 at 180m went right through the engine room and dropped this boy where he stood. We made light work of getting over to the stag and assessing that he was an old 13 point stag, as we were celebrating and going over how good the hunt was another young 10 pointer showed its face on the bush edge but he was not on our list just yet, we carried the stag out to the truck and proceeded back to camp for a few Speights.

The next few days brought about some average weather with showers and wind the main enemy for us, we still managed to get out every day for a walk and a look but even when the weather cleared for a short window the stags were happy to make noise but would not show their face or let us get a look at them, frustrating but something us hunters can’t control. Over these days the boys also took the dogs for a walk and managed a few good pigs for the pot, wet the line for a trout or two and also honed in our skills behind the 22 on a few rabbits to keep us on our toes.

The last day of hunting came and the weather was still not on our side but decided we had to make a good fist of it, we arrived at a suitable location for a glass and we immediately spotted a good pig on the other side of the valley, the boys decided they were keen to go after that with the dogs and I was going to go for a walk and try to spot a stag even though the wind was nearly blowing us off our feet. We set off and I let out a few roars expecting nothing with the wind but within 5 minutes I could see a young 10 pointer making his way out of the bush obviously hearing my roars, I was amazed he heard me so kept the roars up, I spent the next 25 minutes playing with this stag and ended up getting within 80-100m of this young one, he was safe for another year as we had already got enough meat and he was not of a trophy calibre for me, better left for a few more years especially as he showed good potential. The boys had not managed to get onto the pig as well but we decided we were going to try one more spot just before dark, we arrived and let out a few roars as the wind had died right down and almost immediately got a reply, it was the same as the previous days as the stags were noisy but didn’t want to show face, at very last light I could make out a figure on the bush edge and asked the boys if they could also see it, they could, so the plan was made to keep roaring and try to close the gap and then flick the spotlight on him to see what he is and if he was a taker. We crept in slowly and quietly and got within 300m which is normally a comfortable shot but not in this light and with not knowing what he is, he started to pipe up more as we got closer and when I realised we were within 150-170m I said to flick the light. The light went straight onto him and I couldn’t believe what I was looking at, he was a very old mature stag within 500m of where we had shot the previous stag a few days earlier, I made him out to have 4 on one top so quickly chambered a round and put one through his front shoulder to which he dropped. We went over and discovered one of the oldest stags I have seen in my time, he was a 14 pointer and his teeth were well ground down, I would’ve picked him to be between 7-8 years old but the feeling of excitement and joy to have just bagged my best stag and for it to have been on the last day of hunting was unbelievable, one hunt I will never forget and probably one of the best animals I will bag. It goes to show after a few years of passing up young stags and just missing out on others that the big ones do come along and by hell they are worth the wait.

P.S. Not sure how to upload Images but if someone can let me know how I will chuck a few up.

IP Logged

tararua60
Just Joined

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Roar Trip 2018
Reply #1 - Jul 27th, 2018 at 1:51pm
Print Post  
good stuff

IP Logged

Rumpy
Donor Member

Wishing I was out in the
hills.

Re: Roar Trip 2018
Reply #2 - Jul 30th, 2018 at 6:41pm
Print Post  
Nice report. Good luck trying to get something better than the big boy. A nice mission for you. Smiley

Used to be instructions on how to post photos in photography section but it's not working. I have PMed mods to see if it can be resurrected.

.270 WIN   AWESOME SINCE 1925       "REMEMBER THE 6 P's" POOR PREPARATION PROVIDES PISS POOR PERFORMANCE

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards