Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Multi task dog (Read 401 times)
Jdub

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Multi task dog
Jul 27th, 2018 at 10:11am
Print Post  
Hi guys.
Getting a new pup soon after a lot of searching.
Firstly it will be a pet, a family dog that will hopefully nab the odd pig, but I've recently got into a bit of possum shooting with the bro in law and wouldn't mind doing a bit more.
Anybody had good success with a particular routine with their dog where the dog knows today is pigs not possums, then when it's possum shooting time the dog knows possums are fair game..
I'm thinking when the rip collars and tracking gear goes on dog knows it's pigs but when there's no collars it knows it's possum time??
I'm not a die hard pig hunter, I get out a dozen times over winter with a mate, who's more serious than I am..
This new pup isn't expected to be a main top dog, but we have a place that holds good pig numbers and if I can get to a point where my own dog finds a couple pigs a year on its own when I'm not with my mate then happy days..

IP Logged

fat ninja

Re: Multi task dog
Reply #1 - Jul 27th, 2018 at 3:06pm
Print Post  
It is possible, the key thing is going to be how much time can you/will you dedicate to training the dog, also give it the time to learn what you want from it.

IP Logged

PORKCHOP
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Reply #2 - Jul 27th, 2018 at 4:33pm
Print Post  
What is the dogs job when you are shooting possums? I reckon I could take most dogs I have ever owned possum shooting with no dramas and no effect on their pig hunting abilities. But as a rule I keep pigdogs away from possums.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #3 - Jul 27th, 2018 at 5:31pm
Print Post  
yip couldnt agree more porkchop.......keep it away from possums....sure some guys can get away with it but let me tell you if your dog starts bailing down in lawyer choked gully and you fight your way down there to shoot pig only to find it has possum up a tree......you will kick your own arse alll the way home.

IP Logged

Jdub

Reply #4 - Jul 28th, 2018 at 3:54pm
Print Post  
I guess it's job while hunting possums is just retrieval, which thinking about it, it would be fine as I'm only asking the dog to retrieve rather than find and hold...
I guess I knew the answer to my original post was more so looking to see if anyone does the same with their pig dog, I see Clay can tell his main dog to catch rats when required to

IP Logged

bufferzone
Donor Member

Reply #5 - Jul 28th, 2018 at 8:09pm
Print Post  
my bitch catchs pigs and points deer, catchs rats n mice, has tracked and treed possums for me, chases weka when told around the house( fukin wekas!) dosnt kill them, will chase parrys off the river when im fishing. have spent lots of time with her she just knows some how

IP Logged

Maddoghunter
Donor Member

Reply #6 - Jul 28th, 2018 at 10:30pm
Print Post  
I had a heading dog that could tell the difference with what I wanted to do on the day, but he was exceptionally smart. He even learnt the names of paddocks.
Dogs like him are few and far between though.
Most struggle with mixed messages.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards