Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Bushshirts (Read 1471 times)
Gibson
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Bushshirts
Jul 26th, 2018 at 11:43pm
Print Post  
My Swandri is worn out. I'm keen to get another but.

Are there other bushshirts that I should be considering instead (i.e. stoney creek long bush shirt, hunters element bushmen half zip, or bushbuck ranger bush shirt etc etc)

What are peoples experiences?

This would be my main wind stopper/insulator, to go under my raincoat. Happy to pay the coin, if there are new and improved bush shirts these days that I should be considering.

Keen to hear experiences, rather than opinions. Thanks Smiley

IP Logged

Max
Donor Member

Re: Bushshirts
Reply #1 - Jul 27th, 2018 at 8:33am
Print Post  
I suspect its performance when there is no raincoat on top that will determine your requirements? I find that being windproof and insulating two very different things.......any number of choices ( fleeces etc) for an under-coat insulator, but when you want it to stop wind too without an outer shell then your selection becomes a little more limited,and important.

IP Logged

Tararua Hunter
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #2 - Jul 27th, 2018 at 12:03pm
Print Post  
Gibson wrote on Jul 26th, 2018 at 11:43pm:
My Swandri is worn out. I'm keen to get another but.

Are there other bushshirts that I should be considering instead (i.e. stoney creek long bush shirt, hunters element bushmen half zip, or bushbuck ranger bush shirt etc etc)

What are peoples experiences?

This would be my main wind stopper/insulator, to go under my raincoat. Happy to pay the coin, if there are new and improved bush shirts these days that I should be considering.

Keen to hear experiences, rather than opinions. Thanks Smiley

Got  couple of original Swandri wool shirts. good when wet/cold, can often use them without windproof top. wear MKM wool T shirt underneath.
its all I ever wore when hunting full time. took two into the bush, and rarely wore a rain jacket (oilskin parka)
did use a Swanny a lot initially. but got too heavy in pack, for me

Now, if not wearing swandri shirt, take Stoney creek rain jacket (mainly for wind) and a merino and/or earth sea sky top and MKM wool T shirt. seems be ok for most occasions

just about given up on 100 percent waterproof jacket. just get wet, but wear wool layers to keep warm

IP Logged

sako
Forum Font

Reply #3 - Jul 31st, 2018 at 9:21pm
Print Post  
Backroad jacket from Farmlands. Wicked product.

IP Logged

Rumpy
Donor Member

Wishing I was out in the
hills.

Reply #4 - Aug 1st, 2018 at 5:40pm
Print Post  
Ask 264Magic what he has. He got a new jacket a while ago and I never saw him without it on. Maybe more of an outer later though.

.270 WIN   AWESOME SINCE 1925       "REMEMBER THE 6 P's" POOR PREPARATION PROVIDES PISS POOR PERFORMANCE

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #5 - Aug 1st, 2018 at 6:09pm
Print Post  
Tararua Hunter wrote on Jul 27th, 2018 at 12:03pm:
Got  couple of original Swandri wool shirts. good when wet/cold, can often use them without windproof top. wear MKM wool T shirt underneath.
its all I ever wore when hunting full time. took two into the bush, and rarely wore a rain jacket (oilskin parka)
did use a Swanny a lot initially. but got too heavy in pack, for me

Yeah - they were a good shirt.
My mum would buy me one every Xmas and send it up and I've still got three or four I never unwrapped sitting in a cupboard.
Never wore out - those things, just got threadbare so you could look right through them - but no holes.
I did carry a cheap nylon parka that rolled up to nothing for when it was wet and the wind was blowing. It never kept a drop of water out that parka, but it did keep the wind off and there were times I was glad I had it.

I did get a fleece bush shirt off my brother in law, but it was very bulky and I didn't like it much.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #6 - Aug 1st, 2018 at 8:25pm
Print Post  
mate has the stoney creek big dog and really rates them highly......Im too tight to splash out for a new one but they look the shizo to me.

IP Logged

Kane h

Reply #7 - Aug 14th, 2018 at 8:01pm
Print Post  
game gear swampy is great bit of kit old style is cheaper new style has hood wind proof layer under fleece I Beleave I rate mine it's great

IP Logged

Winded
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #8 - Aug 15th, 2018 at 10:59am
Print Post  
Not sure if you’ve been thinking this way, but I’ve got the Bushbuck Huntsman with the 3/4 sleeve. Tough, absolutely windproof. I sweat quite a bit when I heat up, and the breathability doesn’t keep up when I really get going. It is warm with one of them quiet outer layer jobs - probably intended more for the stalker than the sticker. It’s got a good size hood with a wire insert in the peak so you can mould it to whatever shape you like. I especially like the long tail.

Wore it in the rainy bush a few times, mostly because I couldn’t be bothered getting my waterproof layer out of the daypack, it didn’t get appreciably wetter or heavier. I was wearing their “armour” base layer that is pretty much cotton, and I got pretty cold when wet with my sweat - my own dumb fault cos “cotton kills”.

It’s pretty bulky if you decide to take it off. I wear the thing day in, day out, in the bush, in town, at the rugby, etc. I make better decisions about my base layers now though  Wink Mates and family been trying to pinch it since I bought it but I’m a good coupla sizes too small for a lot of them  Grin

Hope that helps

IP Logged

sako
Forum Font

Reply #9 - Sep 5th, 2018 at 9:37pm
Print Post  
Just bought a top from Kathmandu for about $212 but it is made out of Polartech which makes it windproof. Still long for the old Stoney Creek tops which I jealously guard which have similar. My son got the new model ,the Rock pullover and burnt it after 2 outings claiming a sieve offered more heat.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards