Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Cloth Patching /lubed round balls (Read 913 times)
Flintlock
Donor Member

Cloth Patching /lubed round balls
Jul 26th, 2018 at 3:26am
Print Post  
In the thread on cleaning Tasbay wrote " have recently started using Dutch`s dry patch formula.
1 part Ballistol 6 parts water. I soak the patch in it and lay it out on tin foil to dry. Patch is dry to the touch but holds enough Ballistol to lubricate and keeps fouling soft. As I hunt with my Muzzleloaders and they may be loaded for a while I like the dry patch idea."

I use striped cotton pillow ticking as my patch cloth and always cut it at the muzzle , considerable experimenting and looking at fired patches convinced me this was the way to get best accuracy from a patched round ball .
I have used Dutch's dry lube for many years and find it a great way to go , but because of the fire risk when the weather is hot and the underfoot very dry I use the patch freshly treated with Lehigh Valley lube or a dry lubed patch moistened  with spit .

I have a lot of "Ballistol " substitute made to a Dutch army formula , it looks a bit different but works just as well .

Use these formulae at your own risk
Some substitute olive oil for oleic acid, potassium hydroxide is also know a lye or Caustic potash
This one recipe for a Ballistol substitute

Water                             7 %
Pure  Alcohol                50%
Glycerin                         4%
Potassium Hydroxide        7%
Oleic Acid                    32%
            Result            100% 

This is another :
100 cc Oleic acid
20 cc ammonia
30 cc amyl alcohol
450 cc liquid paraffin
10 grams petroleum jelly

Mixing water based and non-water based ingredients you must warm them to about 70-75°C prior to mixing.

This one for Bore Butter bullet lube works very well , add or remove bees wax or olive oil depending on the hardness required .It is in pounds because it an American recipe
Bore Butter:

Ingedients:
      1 Lb. Natural Bees Wax ( 475 gm )
      Approx. 4 Lbs. Olive Oil ( 1.8kg about 1.8- 2 litres )
      About 2 Teaspoons Yellow Food Coloring
      1/2 oz. Wintergreen Oil (14 grams)

Procedure:
      1. Melt beeswax and add about 2-3 pounds of olive oil, let cool and
test. If it is too hard add more oil.
      2. Microwave for about 2-3 minutes or until it melts, stir. Let cool andtest again, if it is still too hard add more oil.
      Keep doing this until you get it as loose as you want it. Makes
about 5-6 pounds, depending on how loose  you want your bore butter.

Shooting is the most fun you can legally have with your clothes on .
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards