Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Hunter Valley Station Access (Read 1845 times)
sly
Just Joined

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Hunter Valley Station Access
Jul 24th, 2018 at 5:13pm
Print Post  
Hi all

Hunter Valley Station is claiming they turn down almost no one who asks for access across their land. From those I have spoken to, this is BS.

Has anyone on here requested access, and would be willing to talk to John Campbell on Checkpoint tomorrow about getting turned down? DM me and I will put you in touch..

Cheers

IP Logged

downwind
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Re: Hunter Valley Station Access
Reply #1 - Jul 24th, 2018 at 7:49pm
Print Post  
Could you mention to John Campbell that there is unrestricted walking and cycling access on the Eastern shore of Lake Hawea all the way to the Hunter Valley.
Also could you ask him why DOC and the Walking Access Commission are not pushing for an easement through Dingleburn Station.

IP Logged

padox
Donor Member

Reply #2 - Jul 24th, 2018 at 8:32pm
Print Post  
Cos the tenure review has already been dun on the dingle so they can't go back and ask for more

IP Logged

scottrods
Forum Font

Aim small, Hit small

Reply #3 - Jul 25th, 2018 at 4:47pm
Print Post  
An easement is not really worth the paper its written on. Mt Pisa has an easement for access to the Public Crown Land beyond the station. We don't need an easement, we need an unformed legal road to be placed upon the current farm track and adopted as a public road, since these allow carriage of firearms, dogs and vehicles.

An easement could be as restrictive as the leaseholder wants to allow e.g. no driving - walking only, no dogs and no firearms.

Kids who learn to Hunt and Fish,
Don't learn to Steal and Deal.

IP Logged

padox
Donor Member

Reply #4 - Jul 25th, 2018 at 5:55pm
Print Post  
Doc don't want paper roads tho as they haf to maintain them and they don't wanna spend $ and if something happens they are liable

IP Logged

gonehuntin
Forum Font

Reply #5 - Jul 25th, 2018 at 6:28pm
Print Post  
padox wrote on Jul 25th, 2018 at 5:55pm:
Doc don't want paper roads tho as they haf to maintain them and they don't wanna spend $ and if something happens they are liable

um no they dont, paper roads are unformed and are simply a plotted parcel of land on a map although some farmers have formed tracks on top of them but are no responsibility for anyone to maintain. if they exist then they are a legal formed road.

I think scottrods mean to classify the current access track as a legal road in which yes someone (council or the likes) would have to maintain it.

IP Logged

padox
Donor Member

Reply #6 - Jul 25th, 2018 at 7:17pm
Print Post  
gonehuntin wrote on Jul 25th, 2018 at 6:28pm:
padox wrote on Jul 25th, 2018 at 5:55pm:

um no they dont, paper roads are unformed and are simply a plotted parcel of land on a map although some farmers have formed tracks on top of them but are no responsibility for anyone to maintain. if they exist then they are a legal formed road.

I think scottrods mean to classify the current access track as a legal road in which yes someone (council or the likes) would have to maintain it.

Witch they don't want to do we are having a simular argument down here and then u get idiots ripping up the tracks then expect the farmer to tow them out when they get stuck

IP Logged

gonehuntin
Forum Font

Reply #7 - Jul 25th, 2018 at 7:27pm
Print Post  
yea I understand, is it a legal formed road or just a paper road? As paper roads can be padlocked to prevent vehicles but cant restrict walking access.

a place my cousin worked had a $200 towing fee paid up front or the muppets truck stayed there, a sign can prevent alot of idiocy.

IP Logged

Oscar
Donor Member

Let Us Prey

Reply #8 - Jul 25th, 2018 at 7:30pm
Print Post  
sly wrote on Jul 24th, 2018 at 5:13pm:
Hi all

Hunter Valley Station is claiming they turn down almost no one who asks for access across their land. From those I have spoken to, this is BS.

Has anyone on here requested access, and would be willing to talk to John Campbell on Checkpoint tomorrow about getting turned down? DM me and I will put you in touch..

Cheers

How do you ask them for access? Is it true the number is kept secret? (Someone claimed that on NatRad, but surely its not true)

Herbs before herbivores

Not all those who wander are lost

IP Logged

Huntsouth
Forum Font

Reply #9 - Jul 25th, 2018 at 11:54pm
Print Post  
DOC said its refusal to give out the phone number for the station was not unusual.
They said the phone number for Hunter Valley Station could be found publicly in the White Pages.

Oscar, where did you look?

IP Logged

Oscar
Donor Member

Let Us Prey

Reply #10 - Jul 26th, 2018 at 12:04am
Print Post  
Havenít been looking, just heard that claim on NatRad and wondered if it could actually be true. So, itís not?

Herbs before herbivores

IP Logged

Huntsouth
Forum Font

Reply #11 - Jul 26th, 2018 at 9:47am
Print Post  
The number is there under Hunter Valley Station. The quote above in yellow is taken from the same statement on Nat Radio that Sly talks about - worded as such online. But whether the calls get answered or messages returned could be a seperate issue?

IP Logged

possum_shooter
Forum Senior

Reply #12 - Jul 26th, 2018 at 12:17pm
Print Post  
It would be an interesting exercise if maybe 10 different forum members rang and asked to get access.  I wonder what the outcome would be.

IP Logged

turtle

I like bush stalking

Reply #13 - Jul 26th, 2018 at 3:10pm
Print Post  
Seems that the politicians have been aware of this for a while.  Embarrassed

https://www.msn.com/en-nz/news/national/access-through-lake-hāwea-always-deliber...

IP Logged

Oscar
Donor Member

Let Us Prey

Reply #14 - Jul 27th, 2018 at 11:31am
Print Post  
Federated Mountain Clubs are keeping the focus on this: www.fmc.org.nz/huntervalleyaccess/

Be interesting to see if the statements made re allowing access are backed up

Herbs before herbivores

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards