Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Neck size vs FL size die (Read 583 times)
stagstalker
Donor Member

Work to go Hunting

Neck size vs FL size die
Jul 22nd, 2018 at 5:44pm
Print Post  
Newbie question.

What is the key differences and when would you use them? I understand the FL sizing die also sizes the neck so why would you need a seperate neck sizing die?

I am trying to decide if I can just buy a two die set (seater and FL) or if I should get a three die set (seater, FL and neck).

Thanks.

Sako-Tikka-Lee Enfield-Franchi-Leupold-Black Labrador
YouTube  
IP Logged

seventenths
Forum Font

Re: Neck size vs FL size die
Reply #1 - Jul 22nd, 2018 at 7:19pm
Print Post  
The FL is mainly for when you buy once fired brass and not sure of the chamber so you run it through the Full Length first and after it's been through your rifle then Neck Sizing die only.

For new unused brass... Neck Sizing only is the way i go.

For what your wanting to do... just get a "Neck Sizing" & a "Seating" die set  Cool

We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors. We borrow it from our children."

IP Logged

6.5x55bjai
Donor Member

Reply #2 - Jul 22nd, 2018 at 8:07pm
Print Post  
Buy the 3 die set because even if you neck size only, typically (not with every cartridge type but typically) after approx 5 loadings/firings due to brass expansion you will find it hard to chamber and close the bolt. FLSing is then required.
There are also strong views re neck sizing only versus FLS'ing every load. It is a perennial topic on forums worldwide. The neck sizing guys say the fired case once neck sized only will nicely fit the chamber which in theory assists projectile alignment with the bore and therefore accuracy. There are also serious target shooters who anneal and FLS every loading and get superb accuracy.

Google FLSing versus neck sizing for fun.

IP Logged

Cigar

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #3 - Jul 22nd, 2018 at 8:25pm
Print Post  
Neck sizing for brass that has been fired in your rifle (or new brass) and will be fired in the same rifle.
Full length sizing for brass that has or will be fired in another rifle, or in semi-autos, lever actions.
FLS every time covers everything, but works the brass more so may reduce case life. I neck size for my bolt actions, and full for the lever action. I have started using a Lee collet die for neck sizing, supposedly is better for brass life, but a big bonus is no lube is needed, so easier and no lube to remove after sizing

IP Logged

stagstalker
Donor Member

Work to go Hunting

Reply #4 - Jul 22nd, 2018 at 9:01pm
Print Post  
That makes good sense. Thanks guys.

Sako-Tikka-Lee Enfield-Franchi-Leupold-Black Labrador
YouTube  
IP Logged

J
Donor Member

Per Ardua

Reply #5 - Jul 22nd, 2018 at 10:17pm
Print Post  
Both practices have merit and have their adherents.

I run a slightly different routine:

- always neck size with a collet die (after neck turning new brass for the first load).
- never use an expander ball with my sizing die (use an expander mandrel instead).
- always use a bump die to knock the shoulder back one or two thou.

I never FL size.

Its a bit more involved than many can be bothered with but works for me. I only turn necks for the first load, which takes about a minute per case and gives consistent neck tension.

Im trying to get the best consistency I can every time, so I use the same process that sizes my brass the same for every load.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards