Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Hunting safety and family concerns- brand new to hunting (Read 2540 times)
ruahinestalka
Just Joined

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Hunting safety and family concerns- brand new to hunting
Reply #15 - Jul 23rd, 2018 at 9:06pm
Print Post  
I am enjoying the discussion and hope it has helped you out with a few things. I agree with a lot of the comments on here - especially the tips on safety, and risk management.

As with anything in life there is an element of risk involved and there are some things we can do to reduce those risks but eliminating them is almost impossible. Helicopters and cars are more likely to take you from your family than a firearm incident, and very few of us take a second thought jumping in a car and driving a few hundred ks on often poor roads - its actually the most dangerous thing many of us will do in our lifetimes.

A second note about the whole carcass in the station wagon/gutting in the garage

I can offer a word or 2 here - My wife is vegetarian and when i met her wouldn't touch meat or have it in her refrigerator....its actually pretty easy to do most of the main butchery in the bush, and end up with good finished product.

If I have time i sometimes break down the meat and put it into ziplock bags so that when I get home it looks like it came from New World - its not perfect as it would be nice to hang it for a week etc etc    - but i never get any grief and that makes it worth it for me.....and I get my quinoa salad with a side of venison eye fillet  Cheesy Cheesy

IP Logged

MassiveAttack
Forum Font

Setting trends in waterfowling
fashion since 2011

Reply #16 - Jul 24th, 2018 at 5:22pm
Print Post  
There is another aspect to all this.  How would you like to die?  It's not a cheerful topic but it is one you have to think about as you get older.  Personally I would like to die quickly while doing what I love.  I would prefer not to die slowly, painfully and in a hospital bed having lots of conversations with doctors about cancer and which bits they are chopping off next.

If you put it in that context then being shot in the bush by an idiot (which realistically is a very very low risk) isn't that bad a way to go.

This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine.  Without my rifle I am useless, without me it is useless.

IP Logged

Tararua Hunter
Forum Font

Reply #17 - Jul 24th, 2018 at 5:40pm
Print Post  
Quote:
If you put it in that context then being shot in the bush by an idiot (which realistically is a very very low risk) isn't that bad a way to go.

umm, don't think so MA. Probably end up being gut shot by one of these idiots suffering from Stag fever.  Smiley

IP Logged

videohunter

Reply #18 - Aug 4th, 2018 at 7:45pm
Print Post  
Mixed thoughts...... Roll Eyes

If hunting is on your bucket list, just go and do it.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #19 - Aug 12th, 2018 at 6:45pm
Print Post  
You wife may just not want you to ''kill things'', and also loose you to hunting for days at a time.. this is very diffucult to overcome and will undoubtably put a strain on your relationship.

i suggest a quick divorce,  and just get on with the hunting.  Smiley

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

X-POACHER-YEAH RYT
Donor Member

Have you ever hunted Middle
Earth?

Reply #20 - Aug 12th, 2018 at 6:51pm
Print Post  
Yup, sounds about right HC. Also, while you are not out hunting in the scrub, you can be hunting for a new missus, in the concrete jungle. Plenty of hunting all the time, worked for me.  Cheesy Grin

Get as close as you can, then get a bit closer.

IP Logged

Radar
Forum Font

Armed Tramper 😈

Reply #21 - Aug 12th, 2018 at 7:57pm
Print Post  
Whilst you guys take the piss ....😁
My wife didn’t know I wanted to be a hunter (married at 20) moved to Wairoa in the Police and got my licence and started with an old .303. She was not happy with guns at all. I explained to her how it was made safe, where all the parts were kept; the gun was dismantled after use, how it went together and actually how to load and shoot. Over the next couple of years I managed to shoot a deer or two - she wasn’t all that fussed with venison. As I got better and shot better animals and got Sika and fallow she has got better at understanding, she even comes to the range and outshoots me target shooting. She’s lucky, no bad habits and some expert advice from some top class range shooters has helped.😂 She gets me to cook it now and we’ve got some truely tasty recipes.
We now eat venison at least once every week and she tells me when we’re getting low and to go hunting to fill the freezer.
Basically - go learn, involve her with the real basics, make sure she understands the firearm and how it works. Join an active hunting club and learn from others.

Fate whispers to the warrior
'you cannot withstand the storm',
And the warrior whispers back
' I am the storm'
Toys
Tikka the T3 Hunter 7mm08
Baikal .223 Spartan
Martin Falcon 65lb Compound bow

IP Logged

Sayonara
Donor Member

Always ready to learn

Reply #22 - Aug 13th, 2018 at 6:51am
Print Post  
Tell her shes your wife not your boss and do what makes you happy.   You are an individual and, even if she doesn't like it, she has no right to make demands on you as an individual.
Yes, I am single. Grin

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #23 - Aug 13th, 2018 at 12:28pm
Print Post  
headcase wrote on Aug 12th, 2018 at 6:45pm:
You wife may just not want you to ''kill things'', and also loose you to hunting for days at a time.. this is very diffucult to overcome and will undoubtably put a strain on your relationship.

i suggest a quick divorce,  and just get on with the hunting.  Smiley

I have a great relationship with my wife - when I get 'underfoot' she just tells me to 'bugger off' somewhere.

IP Logged

timmyb
Donor Member

Reply #24 - Aug 24th, 2018 at 8:33am
Print Post  
I had a similar conversation when I started hunting. Here is an email I sent her:

Here is some simple research on gun safety, trying to compare one hour of time driving a car to one hour of gun usage, and the corresponding death rate.

The main assumptions in the model is trying to approximate that total hours usage of either activity. Firstly i have assumed each nzer uses a car for 4.75 hours a week (from NZ transport agency average) and that all people with a gun licence use their gun twice a year for 4 hours at a time (assumptions made by a gun advocacy group)

If anything, the car use is on the high side, and the firearm use on the low side, but it is sufficient to calculate the relative position of the risk

The findings are firearm use requires 475,000 hours use to produce a single unintentional death to occur (4 deaths in 2012)

For a car, the number is to 4 million hours use for a fatal accident (267 fatal accidents for 2012)

Conclusion

This shows that firearm usage has more risk than being in a car. For clarity, I would need to hunt every hour of every day for the next 54 years to do 475,000 hours of hunting

Source
http://www.transport.govt.nz/research/roadcrashstatistics/motorvehiclecrashesinn...
http://www.colfo.org.nz/index.php/news/139-nz-guns-and-hunting-feb-2011
http://www.colfo.org.nz/index.php/news/108-nz-guns-and-hunting-apr-2012

IP Logged

sidney
Forum Font

Reply #25 - Aug 24th, 2018 at 9:34am
Print Post  
Thats a low annual death rate for a car, and a high annual death rate for firearms...

The averages over the last decade are considerably different..

"But thus I counsel you, my friends: Mistrust all in whom the impulse to punish is powerful. They are people of a low sort and stock; the hangmen and the bloodhound look out of their faces. Mistrust all who talk much of their justice!"  Nietzsche

IP Logged

timmyb
Donor Member

Reply #26 - Aug 24th, 2018 at 4:35pm
Print Post  
Agree Sidney. It was 'redneck science' but indicates a relatively low risk

IP Logged

Beaker
Forum Font

very happy with my life

Reply #27 - Aug 24th, 2018 at 9:00pm
Print Post  
I went out and got my first FAL at 45 yrs old I  faced all those issues you have mentioned I also thought I wouldn't stick at it but have for 13yrs now with no sign of slowing down.

I had a near fatal life changing accident while surfcasting some years back so that wasn't offered as an alternative. But among pastimes hunting is a relatively safe sport so thats easy to get people talked around.

Many people talk about the steaks etc but they are few and far between for beginners, also city raised people may never eat it. A friend of mine enjoys wild meat but every member of his family wont touch it and calls it Freak meat. Don't get hung up on that though some families come around quicker than others. Mine love all wild meat the ladies were particularly impressed with the low fat aspect and happily tuck into venison, goat, hare, rabbit or pork they loved the quail less impressed with duck.

As the others have said the guns around the house thing is a guenuine concern that is completely unfounded that is a long talk through but usually doable.

Hunting is a difficult thing to 'justify' to some people and its a work lunchroom conversation I have often had but I find a quiet reasoned and logical explanation usually works. Its not really a sport or pastime its much deeper than that it has very deep tones around conservation, discipline, respect for animals, responsibility with potentially dangerous tools in a more dangerous environment, it really is a very Zen thing.

The discipline is really strong take an obviously toy gun to a NZDA meeting and wave it around you will soon learn how seriously people in the know take this safety stuff then pass it around watch how same people can talk about it pass it around and even knowing its a toy subconsciously not point it at  people and point it at safe direction etc.

Hold your path have a go you may tick the list and move on as a few do but most stay and love the lifestyle with a passion. At least you will know EH!

IP Logged

Ruralmedic

You can find me outdoors.

Reply #28 - Aug 27th, 2018 at 1:28am
Print Post  
There's a quote that is often attributed to Mark Twain that reads;

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you did not do than by the ones you did do. So tell everyone else to @&$# off and just go hunting."
Or something like that.

Happiness is when your hardest decision is whether to take the rifle, the bow, the rod or all three.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards