Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Brake on an 18.5" long std tikka barrel good idea or bad? (Read 508 times)
Good keen bloke

I love my Tikka T3

Brake on an 18.5" long std tikka barrel good idea or bad?
Jul 21st, 2018 at 2:21pm
Print Post  
I've got a tikka t3 708 18.5" barrel with gunworks spartan magnum suppressor.
This is my one & only centrefire rifle that I hunt with & just recently have started long range target shooting as well. The club shoots are usually 2 x 10 rounds to count meaning each round up to 12 shots will be fired in a row. My problem is with being suppressed the trapped smoke/vapor slowly exits the suppressor after approx 6-7 shots causing mirage etc through my sightron 4-16 scope.
So my question is:
If I was to fit a maisey quatromax muzzlebrake on my 18.5" long barrel
1 - will it be less mirage?
2 - will the scope handle the shock of brake being closer than usual?
3 - & lastly will the muzzle blast be too much for shooter due to short length?
I know they are loud, that's not a problem at club shoots everyone is wearing ear protection.
Also yes I know a lot of you are saying you don't need a brake on 708! But with long range shooting i think it's important to be able to watch your bullet impact on target. Can't do that without a brake of some sort especially with scope on high power.
Experienced answers please.
Cheers

7mil is the ultimate pill

IP Logged

Flintlock
Donor Member

Re: Brake on an 18.5" long std tikka barrel good idea or bad?
Reply #1 - Jul 22nd, 2018 at 12:53pm
Print Post  
Muzzle brakes on  rifles are a nuisance to shooters next to you on the range  , the noise can still be annoying and the blast wave of air is a real put off . One way to make yourself unpopular and maybe develop a flinch and your sight in zero will have to be changed each time you change .
It is the trapped heat from the suppressor that causes mirages .Try making or buying  a sleeve/sock to go over the suppressor to reduce the heat shimmer ,

Shooting is the most fun you can legally have with your clothes on .
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

IP Logged

Walker
Donor Member

Yum T-rex

Reply #2 - Jul 22nd, 2018 at 1:40pm
Print Post  
If your target shooting, brakes are frowned apon for the extra noise and concussion to those next to you AND you will loose velocity by ditching the can. Heat mirage is only a problem if your planning to unload 10 rounds in twenty seconds. You can get heat covers for a supressor if it really is a worry

Just do it

IP Logged

STI
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #3 - Jul 22nd, 2018 at 1:48pm
Print Post  
I have a T3 brake I use with my 16 inch barreled .375WSM.
I would not recommend it in your situation even with double plugs its quite unpleasant for the shooter. I can't imagine what it would be like for the guys either side in a firing line

No recoil though. To be fair I only use it now with a suppressor though

I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either..

IP Logged

Good keen bloke

I love my Tikka T3

Reply #4 - Jul 22nd, 2018 at 9:48pm
Print Post  
The club I shoot at has a few muzzle braked rifles firing each meet, however I do agree they are quite disrupting & dont want to go down that track if its gonna cause unpleasant experience.
I already have a sleeve over my spartan magnum suppressor.  Might try single loading after each shot to slow down the following shots rather than emptying the 5 shot mag twice.
My rifle shoots real nice with suppressor but just concerned when summer rolls around & temperatures improve it may become a problem.
Thanks for the advice guys, I dont want my trigger time to become uncomfortable for me or others.
Cheers

7mil is the ultimate pill

IP Logged

Matt-JC
Donor Member

Hunting & Mtbing

Reply #5 - Jul 26th, 2018 at 6:45pm
Print Post  
The club i shoot with does not allow muzzle brakes on the mound, as they are too disruptive to others. I believe this is common elsewhere too.

Best thing to do, is wrap your suppressor with cloth tape, and slow your shooting down a bit. there is plenty of time in each shoot to get your 12 rounds to the target.

there is always plenty of time for procrastination.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards