Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic starting to click a bit (Read 1014 times)
Stretch
Donor Member

starting to click a bit
Jul 20th, 2018 at 9:22pm
Print Post  
So two weeks ago I shot my first deer over my pup..and before the butchery process was complete with that one I had somehow forgotten that one deer doesn't necessarily go all that far towards filling a freezer.
Since I'm not the greatest game butcher in the world, and the deer was a light yearling, I was reminded of this fact very quickly.

So given that the dog needed exposure to this hunting business, and given that the weather had been wicked here in Hawkes Bay as of late...it was only logical to go for another walk with the dog and see what we could see.

I knocked off work a bit early and got myself and young Finn over to a bit of bush I had tiptoed round in in the past that seems to hold just as many deer as anywhere else. It's not that great to hunt as it's mostly regenerating bush as the result of some old time logging ventures but the last time I was in there I had found a neat little grassy gut that was loaded with sign.....and a nice approach to get to it.

So with that spot in mind, the dog and I set off. I put a longline on him and let him do his thing. The wind was unsteady, swirling back and forward as we made our way through. The dog began to wind intermittently, and I gave him a bit of a pat and carried on. I assumed he was just getting bits of something on the breeze but I figured this grassy gut would be an ok chance of an animal.

The approach was 150 metres of shimmying through manuka and kanuka. After sidling through that, you drop down into this narrow gut, still filled with manuka which is loaded with small openings.  Any action I might get would be pretty close.

The dog started winding again as we swung around into the wind, which was blowing steadily down the gut. Sneaking through to the first opening of the gut, Finn began to track up the left hand side. Obviously something had passed that way earlier on.

The next clearing we were due to come up on was the biggest of them all, maybe seventy or so metres long. The dogs focus seemed to intensify as we approached the bottom of this next opening..and I realised I didn't have a round chambered. I put one up the spout and heard rustling in the clearing. I poked my head out a bit and two deer trotted out into the head of the clearing unsure of what had scared them.

It was a big hind and a yearling, and they continued to trot across towards cover on my right. The dog had seen them and was locked up watching them. I did my stop whistle anyway to keep the dog still and this got the deer to stop...

I lined the yearling's shoulder up and let rip. I heard a solid thwack and it took off into the tall stuff . The hind ran towards us, and stopped on my left amongst some flaxes.  I quickly shot her as well and she moved into the flax out of my sight.

I released young Finn and he moved in towards where the hind had gone to. I followed him along for fifty or so metres into the scrub, but he must have been tracking their scent trail that they had left when they entered the clearing. I turned him around and he found the hind not ten metres from where I shot her. Wicked, now for the yearling.

I had lost my bearings and so I let the dog pick his way along in a general direction..then all of a sudden he took off and disappeared. He then came ripping back up to me and I spotted some blood. I set him on that and he ended up finding the yearling with ease. It had run 50 odd metres into a patch of pepperwood.

So two and a bit hours of faffing round  later and I was back at the ute.  Just like that, young Finn had number 2 and 3 under his belt, and I had the makings of a full freezer.

I'm already hanging out for the next hunt!

Hot barrels,

Stretch

IP Logged

bufferzone
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: starting to click a bit
Reply #1 - Jul 21st, 2018 at 7:26am
Print Post  
awesome, training paying off

IP Logged

264Magic
Donor Member

Reply #2 - Jul 21st, 2018 at 8:05am
Print Post  
choysa Cool Cool Cool Cool

It is much better to Hit the Animal in the right place, with a Rifle you can shoot well, then to hit it poorly with a Large Calibre..John Nosler

IP Logged

tinass
Just Joined

Out there having a go
!

Reply #3 - Jul 21st, 2018 at 8:32am
Print Post  
Great stuff. Always good when a plan comes together.

IP Logged

BC
Donor Member

Reply #4 - Jul 21st, 2018 at 10:44am
Print Post  
That's wonderful!

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.......

IP Logged

X-POACHER-YEAH RYT
Donor Member

Have you ever hunted Middle
Earth?

Reply #5 - Jul 21st, 2018 at 3:32pm
Print Post  
Good stuff, great when they get it in their heads, "what the boss is looking for".  Smiley    As my old hunting mate Greedyboy used to say, " Shoot what y' see m' boy "  Wink.

Get as close as you can, then get a bit closer.

IP Logged

brian
Donor Member

why tiptoe thru life only
to die safely

Reply #6 - Jul 21st, 2018 at 5:02pm
Print Post  
Smiley Smiley

Never argue with an idiot anyone watching may not be able to tell the difference

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #7 - Jul 21st, 2018 at 6:00pm
Print Post  
awesome stuff....now big trick is to "trust the dog" next time you go out.......where ever finn wants to go...you go,that way you form bond and dog knows you want to see what it wants to show you,sounds like you 75% of the way along to making a great team,enjoy the primo venni.

IP Logged

Rumpy
Donor Member

Wishing I was out in the
hills.

Reply #8 - Jul 21st, 2018 at 6:52pm
Print Post  
Team building at its best. Well done on the training.

.270 WIN   AWESOME SINCE 1925       "REMEMBER THE 6 P's" POOR PREPARATION PROVIDES PISS POOR PERFORMANCE

IP Logged

meathunter72
Donor Member

Reply #9 - Jul 21st, 2018 at 9:28pm
Print Post  
Noice Cool Cool Cool

Keep the wind in your face and your freezer full.

IP Logged

ashfishman
Donor Member

Always ready to learn

Reply #10 - Jul 22nd, 2018 at 12:55pm
Print Post  
Bloody good team.
Good story too.

IP Logged

EJL
Donor Member

Manapouri.... Heaven on
Earth

Reply #11 - Jul 23rd, 2018 at 7:58am
Print Post  
Bloody good effort by man and dog. Thanks for the write-up.

Impossible is nothing.....................

IP Logged

ICEMAN
Forum Font

Reply #12 - Jul 24th, 2018 at 11:13am
Print Post  
Looking good Matt, that pups a keeper.  Hey, did you ever talk to Malcolm  about that Bivi I pointed you towards to check out?.

IP Logged

stagstalker
Donor Member

Work to go Hunting

Reply #13 - Jul 24th, 2018 at 7:46pm
Print Post  
Awesome good work

Sako-Tikka-Lee Enfield-Franchi-Leupold-Black Labrador
YouTube  
IP Logged

Stretch
Donor Member

Reply #14 - Jul 26th, 2018 at 6:24pm
Print Post  
ICEMAN wrote on Jul 24th, 2018 at 11:13am:
Looking good Matt, that pups a keeper.  Hey, did you ever talk to Malcolm  about that Bivi I pointed you towards to check out?.

I did have a bit of a chat to him a while back when I was over that way, he was pretty quiet about it Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards