Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Low light scopes? (Read 1463 times)
remmodel7
Forum Senior

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Low light scopes?
Jul 20th, 2018 at 7:21am
Print Post  
So my current rig is not really cutting the mustard.
Are there any brands that are renowned for performance in low light conditions.
Is this where Hd glass is essential?
Looking at spending 1500 ish maybe a little more.
3-15 3-18 4-16.anything in that range.
In guessing that there will be the usual suspects in there leupold, zeiss, swarsovski. Any others worth looking at?
Cheers

IP Logged

mitch23

Re: Low light scopes?
Reply #1 - Jul 20th, 2018 at 1:06pm
Print Post  
I'm working through a new purchase myself....trying to decide if I want illumination or not which would have to be an advantage in low light.

Have you had a look at the Trijicon Accupoint range....the primary advantage from what I can see is battery free illumination, good glass and not too much weight. Might be worth a look.

I've yet to look through one myself so I can't comment beyond what some web based research has turned up....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZQ6ATCv9Zs

Good luck.

Cheers,

Mitch

“It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.”
― Theodore Roosevelt

IP Logged

remmodel7
Forum Senior

Reply #2 - Jul 22nd, 2018 at 12:02pm
Print Post  
Cheers Mitch. They look ok but without looking through one I would bea bit dubious about purchasing one.
At this stage am looking at vx6 with fire dot (not HD). Vx5HD fire dot or a zeiss hd5.
I suppose the other one to look at would be a vortexviper pst.
Anyone got an opinion on vx6 not HD vs can HD and how does vortex compare to leupold.
The other bonus of the zeiss for me is a1" tube which means sticking with the original rings I have

IP Logged

Ackley

Reply #3 - Jul 23rd, 2018 at 9:32am
Print Post  
I have leica  10x binoculars a swaroski z6i and a leupold vx6 not hd
On an early morning hunt I could see deer with my binos but not with the vx6 and they dissapeared into the bush before shooting light for the vx6
Next trip took the z6 and could see deer with the binos and also the z6 = dead deer.
All that said the vx6 and vx5 are now hd and claimed to have better low light abillities which I would like to put to the test

IP Logged

J
Donor Member

Per Ardua

Reply #4 - Jul 23rd, 2018 at 9:55am
Print Post  
I have a Z6i, VX6 HD and an NXS and the Swaro is by far the best in low light conditions. I can easily see animals through that when I can’t see them at all with the naked eye. The others are good, but not as good, at least to my eyes.

Seeing animals is one thing, but getting the cross hairs on them in low light is another. All of my scopes are now illuminated for that reason.

The Z5 sounds ideal for your purposes, but the lack of illumination could be an issue. I’ve never used one, so perhaps someone who has can offer advice.

IP Logged

stug
Forum Font

Reply #5 - Jul 23rd, 2018 at 12:23pm
Print Post  
As well as lens coatings and HD glass the other things to consider are objective size and exit pupil. The bigger the objective the more light is collected. You see a lot of 56mm objectives in Europe where they do a lot of high stand, late evening shooting.
The bigger the exit pupil the more light available to your eye.
Exit pupil is Objective diameter in mm divide by magnification. Your eye has a pupil diameter or about 7mm so anything bigger than that won't give any advantage.

IP Logged

canadakiwi
Donor Member

Nothing is ever as simple
as we hope it will be

Reply #6 - Jul 24th, 2018 at 6:02am
Print Post  
I've got a number of , high end scopes, best light gathering is my Z6i 2x12 x52, Z5 is 52 mill objective is very good and the Z5 3x18x44 on my 6x45 is just a touch less bright, all are far ahead of the Leopold's, Bushnell's, March and Nikons I have.
Z3 in 2x12x50 is not bad especially for the price, and I give a big plus to the Lecia er in 2.5x10x42, its a bit below the power range you requested.
I think that to really gather low light a 50mm plus objective scope, with high end glass and coatings is were its at,
also don't get to fine reticle either, illumined is ok, but battery's need to be checked, and easy on sum scopes to bump on during handling and transportation.
Buy the best you can afford, I got both my Z6 swarvo used, so that helped keep the price down a bit.

IP Logged

remmodel7
Forum Senior

Reply #7 - Jul 24th, 2018 at 11:15am
Print Post  
Is the van the only one in this kind of range that is illuminated?

IP Logged

Rumpy
Donor Member

Wishing I was out in the
hills.

Reply #8 - Sep 26th, 2018 at 8:33pm
Print Post  
There was a comparison done somewhere on forum a while ago, I'll see if I can find it

.270 WIN   AWESOME SINCE 1925       "REMEMBER THE 6 P's" POOR PREPARATION PROVIDES PISS POOR PERFORMANCE

IP Logged

Rumpy
Donor Member

Wishing I was out in the
hills.

Reply #9 - Sep 26th, 2018 at 8:41pm
Print Post  

.270 WIN   AWESOME SINCE 1925       "REMEMBER THE 6 P's" POOR PREPARATION PROVIDES PISS POOR PERFORMANCE

IP Logged

ChrisHB
Forum Senior

Reply #10 - Sep 27th, 2018 at 7:36am
Print Post  
canadakiwi wrote on Jul 24th, 2018 at 6:02am:
I've got a number of , high end scopes, best light gathering is my Z6i 2x12 x52, Z5 is 52 mill objective is very good and the Z5 3x18x44 on my 6x45 is just a touch less bright, all are far ahead of the Leopold's, Bushnell's, March and Nikons I have.
Z3 in 2x12x50 is not bad especially for the price, ...

The Z3 you probably mean 4-12, they're a 3X zoom ratio.

Agree about the Swaros. Through my Z5, I can clearly see deer when the light has faded to a point were I can't make them out at all with my naked eye

IP Logged

300wsm for life
Donor Member

I Live for the Nelson
Lakes

Reply #11 - Sep 28th, 2018 at 5:39pm
Print Post  
Any one had experience with the new V4 from zeiss?

IP Logged

johnd
Donor Member

I Love The smell of gunpowder

Reply #12 - Oct 2nd, 2018 at 8:21am
Print Post  
As you say, are there any other brands I should look at.

What about a Vixen? Do a bit of research on them.... its hard to find anything much about their rifle scopes but plenty on their binos and celestial scopes.

I have one that is their V111 series in 2.5 to 15 x 50 its an illuminated reticle type as well.

Never really been around it with any high end scopes, best comparison I can give is from Woodhill, while looking at deer I could determine that they be Does, my companion could barely determine they were deer. Right on dark time.

IP Logged

Gerry Atric
Donor Member

Reply #13 - Oct 4th, 2018 at 1:59am
Print Post  
I would have a lookout for anything Austrian/German or Czech with fixed magnification (as it seems that the popularity for fixed scopes is dropping - lower price?) i.e. 7x50, 8x56.

The theory is that there´s fewer lenses in a fixed scope which will lose less light through the scope. (the two coated sides of every lens will transmit less light than no lens at all  Cool)

The problem is that every scope manufacturer express transmission in different ways so you have to compare scopes at night by yourself. If a manufacturer claims 95% light transmission, he better measure that through all lenses and not through just one lens (which happens).

http://www.opticstalk.com/rifle-scopes-light-gathering_topic26487.html

There´s a lot that will affect the light transmission, objective size, magnification,  number of lenses, coating, design (all the way from objective to ocular).

That said, if you´re using only one scope, it has to be something variable with 50 mm objective (56 may be too big and bulky). If not illuminated, go with a german no. 4 reticle.

Gerry Atric

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards