Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic 7mm wsm ammo advice (Read 471 times)
Daniel 7mmWSM
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

7mm wsm ammo advice
Jul 17th, 2018 at 7:32pm
Print Post  
Hey guys Im looking at getting into reloading ammo for my browning xbolt 7mm wsm since not many places have factory ammo in stock all the time and in the stuff I like. Does anyone recommend what size grain projectile to use? I'm looking at only shooting out to 500yards tops as that's my max I would attempt a kill shot with my abilities. Target species is rusa, sika, Reds and tahr. Any advice on what to try would be great

IP Logged

seventenths
Forum Font

Re: 7mm wsm ammo advice
Reply #1 - Jul 20th, 2018 at 11:31am
Print Post  
I did some loading for a 7mm WSM which was a Remington 700 where the rifle was being utilized for the same purpose as you've stated.

I don't remember the projectiles we loaded it with as I didn't keep any records but we used 65 grains of "Reloader 22" powder and that produced some nice 1/2 inch groups.

We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors. We borrow it from our children."

IP Logged

granite62

Reply #2 - Jul 27th, 2018 at 12:18am
Print Post  
Ive recently acquired a Howa 7mm wsm and have been going through similar questions. There are some good pills out there but Id suggest checking your mag length first. I got all excited after researching and bought a box of 162 grain Hornady eldxs. Got home and opened the box...... mate these things are long. Loaded a dummy round to fit the mag. There was a whole lot of projectile in the case which would really limit the capacity for powder  Undecided
Have gone back to 140 grainers in SST to try. All the best with it.

Thanks and cheers.

IP Logged

hindquarters

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #3 - Jul 28th, 2018 at 5:23pm
Print Post  
I've been reloading for 7wsm since they came on the market..current one is 24" barrel and suppressed.
my rifle loves and animals hate 160 gr accubond and 168gr berger and I target shoot with 162gr Hornady hollow point match.
powder used is 2213 sc with winchester LR
primers.
accuracy with all the above is excellent.

IP Logged

tman645
Just Joined

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #4 - Jul 31st, 2018 at 10:48pm
Print Post  
It's been a while since I had one but I used 162 amex,168 Berger and 160(I think) accubond. I found reloaded re17 the best for velocity and accuracy.

IP Logged

Aaron B
Forum Senior

Reply #5 - Aug 2nd, 2018 at 1:02am
Print Post  
I used one for about 4 years. RL17 powder will probably give you the best velocity. I used the 162gn Amax and 160gn SST.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards