Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic What to do (Read 966 times)
Pighunter Al
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

What to do
Jul 15th, 2018 at 2:19pm
Print Post  
My son went to the USA for work for 3 months leaving his pig dogs with me, now he has decided to stay another 12 months. I had given up pig hunting a few years back due to a lot of reasons. Question is I have a good young bitch here, seen probably 30 pigs and is just sitting in a kennel or sleeping on the deck. I am suggesting to my son that we try to find someone interested in running this dog with the view he can perhaps get it back when he comes back or does he just bite the bullet and sell it and start again when he gets back. Opinions wanted

IP Logged

Cigar

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Re: What to do
Reply #1 - Jul 15th, 2018 at 6:18pm
Print Post  
Does he (or you) have any mates that could take her?
I'd be a bit worried that if someone else you didnt have absolute trust in took her, things could go wrong. E .g. They refuse to give her back, or she gets killed, or they say she got killed and sell her or give her to a mate.
I would be looking to get some money handed over, as a refundable bond (but the dogs theirs if you don't claim it back by a specified date), just to make sure you don't end up with no dog and no money, and people tend to look after expensive things better than things they got free.

IP Logged

Maddoghunter
Donor Member

Reply #2 - Jul 15th, 2018 at 6:46pm
Print Post  
You’re better off to sell her fair and square.

Keep a good dog that he can build a pack around when he gets back.

IP Logged

gonehuntin
Forum Font

Reply #3 - Jul 15th, 2018 at 8:27pm
Print Post  
just straight out sale will keep it simple and fair, mayby have first option of buy back if they decide to onsell.

ive done the overseas thing, went for 8wks and returned 3yrs later. untill the plane tickets are purchased no return date is a sure thing.

ive also had arangements with mates that have traveled where I ran the dogs to keep them in top hunting skill and he agreed to pay all food and vet bills over the 6 month period, that worked well and suited us both.  funily enough I caught 50 odd pigs with only minor pokes etc not requiring vets and 1st hunt we had when he got back cost him 1400  Grin told him he was bad luck

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #4 - Jul 16th, 2018 at 6:17pm
Print Post  
dust off the old 303 and drag your own sorry butt out for a wander .....even if you only go out once a month,you boy will still have dog when he gets home again and you might enjoy some exercise and a bit of pork... I left my dogs behind 30 years ago when I travelled south and have pretty much regretted it ever since.

IP Logged

Pighunter Al
Donor Member

Reply #5 - Jul 16th, 2018 at 7:15pm
Print Post  
I am keeping the old dog who has been there and done that, this young bitch needs more hunting than I am able to give her. I guess son needs to decide but right now it's become my problem.

IP Logged

013fish

Reply #6 - Jul 16th, 2018 at 10:46pm
Print Post  
Find someone you know that can run it, or do what most hunters use to do...... pass it on to someone known in your hunting circle that will put the work in and if it turns out any good the favour is repayed with a pup or a dog in return in the future.

IP Logged

Old School

Reply #7 - Jul 22nd, 2018 at 9:20am
Print Post  
Sell or rehome it is the best option if you dont want to keep it yourself. Loaning dogs can get ugly.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards