Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) ALERT (Read 6650 times)
huntnfish
Forum Senior

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

ALERT
Jul 12th, 2018 at 5:09pm
Print Post  
Apparently there is to be a news item on TV3 news tonight about 1080 on Stewart island. I don't have any details though.

If you don't know it all, then you don't know what you don't know.

IP Logged

dribbler

Re: ALERT
Reply #1 - Jul 12th, 2018 at 5:11pm
Print Post  
Facebook with this sites name.

IP Logged

XRhunter
Donor Member

Reply #2 - Jul 12th, 2018 at 6:50pm
Print Post  
Ouch! One 1080 contractor will have a very sore bottom shortly.

IP Logged

huntnfish
Forum Senior

Reply #3 - Jul 12th, 2018 at 6:52pm
Print Post  
The great DoC arse covering machine will be cranking up big time.
Cool

IP Logged

pope
Donor Member

SAVE A HORSE, ride a cow
girl

Reply #4 - Jul 12th, 2018 at 7:06pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

gonehuntin
Forum Font

Reply #5 - Jul 12th, 2018 at 7:09pm
Print Post  
huntnfish wrote on Jul 12th, 2018 at 6:52pm:
The great DoC arse covering machine will be cranking up big time.
Cool

why? It was a contractor not doc employee.

IP Logged

huntnfish
Forum Senior

Reply #6 - Jul 12th, 2018 at 8:11pm
Print Post  
Because DoC are the employer and this incident is a perfect example of their inept operational management and quality control; not to mention their obvious lack of Duty of Care to the users of a public place (National Park). Only one example of DoC co*k-ups surrounding use of this poison (and similar poisons as well)

IP Logged

gonehuntin
Forum Font

Reply #7 - Jul 12th, 2018 at 9:01pm
Print Post  
I dont think you understand how contracting works.  the work was undertaken by a private contractor and his employees.

doc have been wronged in this instance, I think your stance on 1080 is clouding your brains ability to understand the situation.

IP Logged

huntnfish
Forum Senior

Reply #8 - Jul 12th, 2018 at 9:50pm
Print Post  
Sounds like a DoC response to me. Iv'e managed a lot of contracts and if the contractor stuffs up, then it is just as much the responsibility of the hirer. Contracts and contractors always require monitoring and QC. DoC is an abysmal failure as a land manager.

IP Logged

Marty Foote
Forum Senior

Reply #9 - Jul 13th, 2018 at 8:44am
Print Post  
gonehuntin wrote on Jul 12th, 2018 at 9:01pm:
I dont think you understand how contracting works.  the work was undertaken by a private contractor and his employees.

doc have been wronged in this instance, I think your stance on 1080 is clouding your brains ability to understand the situation.

The ultimate responsibility rests with DOC.

DOC cannot contract out responsibility to a private contractor.

If someone was responsible for something and was convicted in Court, the fact that a contractor did the deed would be taken into account at the time of sentencing. The entity responsible would still be convicted.

IP Logged

Maddoghunter
Donor Member

Reply #10 - Jul 13th, 2018 at 9:22am
Print Post  
Marty Foote wrote on Jul 13th, 2018 at 8:44am:

If someone was responsible for something and was convicted in Court, the fact that a contractor did the deed would be taken into account at the time of sentencing. The entity responsible would still be convicted.

Doc will throw this guy under the bus for sure.
The baits were specifically meant to be put in bait bags so kiwi couldn’t eat them. Doc will tell everyone how this guy has undermined all the great work they do blah blah blah.

Apparently dropping 75kg in one pile is far worst than scattering thousands of tonnes of it....

IP Logged

gonehuntin
Forum Font

Reply #11 - Jul 13th, 2018 at 9:28am
Print Post  
Marty Foote wrote on Jul 13th, 2018 at 8:44am:

how the hell do you expect doc or any business that utilizes independant contractors to be responsible for deliberate acts such as this?   no one can monitor staff and contractors 24/7 to prevent it.

the chap that blew the whistle should be held liable aswell,  he knew damn well what they were doing was wrong but continued on anyway, just because someone asks you to break the law dosent mean you have to.

will be interesting to see what happens considering its 75kg of 1080 baits dumped in a forest when hundreds of tons get dropped from a chopper every year,  would be a good oportunity for you and your anti supporters to highlight that fact to the public as aerial kills alot more then just the 1 kiwi that triggered this.

IP Logged

huntnfish
Forum Senior

Reply #12 - Jul 13th, 2018 at 9:47am
Print Post  
Here's a little to balance the perspective of the seriousness of this type of gung ho.
That 75kg of 1080 poison has the capability of killing: 30,000 possums, or 60,000 dogs, or 2800 deer, or 14000 wekas, or 600,000 rats or over 500 humans. (Baits at the commonly used potency of 0.15% 1080 per kg.)
It is not acceptable when dealing with this class 1A hazard that DoC can be held to be a responsible custodian of public lands and waterways. They most certainly are not.

IP Logged

gonehuntin
Forum Font

Reply #13 - Jul 13th, 2018 at 10:20am
Print Post  
Once again huntfish it wasnt doc that done this!!  While I wont argue with your other statements as we all have our own opinions, I also dont think highly of doc but the fact is this was a deliberate act Decided on and carried out by a contractor. doc didnt tell the guy to go dump the crap in a swamp.

going by your logic if you called in a pest controller (contractor) to spray your house etc and you wernt there to watch and he got caught pouring toxic chemicals down the drain or burried in your garden then you would be held liable for their actions???
Or do these rules only apply to govt departments and people you have a grudge against?

imo its really not as big of a deal as being made out to be. that contractor had most likely just spread a couple ton of the stuff over a large area,  mayby be thankfull that 75kg wont kill your 2800 deer.

IP Logged

Vulcan
Forum Font

Reply #14 - Jul 13th, 2018 at 11:04am
Print Post  
It's not DOCs fault, but it is their responsibility. It brings into question 1080 operators that work for DOC and the validity of 1080 operations.

It's 1 bad apple kind of thing.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards