Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic How versatile is versatile (Read 172 times)
Jake77
Donor Member

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

How versatile is versatile
Jul 12th, 2018 at 1:08pm
Print Post  
After years since we last had a pooch pressure is coming on from the family to get one - my condition having grown up with working dogs it has got to be somewhat useful. Have had labs for duck shooting and small game but interested on a pooch I can take out after deer etc so doing some reading up into what is involved.

Wondering anyone has had luck training one of the more versatile breeds to be able to sniff out coons, rabbits, wallabies etc when out for a casual walk and still be able to keep them disciplined enough to be useful when out in the hills after deer and pigs? Or is this just going to lead to a world of frustration/confusion with them tearing off after every possum scent they encounter?

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Re: How versatile is versatile
Reply #1 - Jul 12th, 2018 at 6:20pm
Print Post  
interesting question,here is my thoughts on it having gone down both paths.....
IF you have rock solid no B.S. stop,come,leave on any dog it can be usefull companion in the bush no matter what you are doing..... if you want an indicating deer for deer and pigs you making life hard for yourself by letting them CHASE ANYTHING and avoiding non target species is easier if they know they are off the menu.
eg my current bitch is my duck dog and has indicated both deer and pigs ,she is not allowed near possums,to chase rabbits,hares or wallabies. she can walk along with us and show me where dead one is if I ask her to but otherwise must stay at heal or within the 10 yard "ring".
its great when that nose gets all a twitching to be 90% sure its a deer or pig dog is leading you into and not some smelly old coon....
if you want them do do it all then the deer thing will be diferent and you will have to do the finding and let dog help out after the shot sort of thing.....still great to have dog around for that but let me tell you its a plurry awesome thing to have one who will find the deer for you.

IP Logged

J
Donor Member

Per Ardua

Reply #2 - Jul 12th, 2018 at 6:22pm
Print Post  
I had a great lab that I used mostly for deer, but also hares, rabbits, pheasants, partridges, ducks, geese and wood pigeons. He was a really keen worker and switched from one type of game to another with no problems. He definitely knew the difference between a rifle and a shotgun and behaved differently from the moment I took one or another from the gun cabinet. He was a house dog too.

So, yes, I think itís possible. I donít see why a pointer of some sort couldnít do the same. Basic commands and solid control should allow you to handle a dog whatever you are after.

IP Logged

wac
Donor Member

Reply #3 - Jul 12th, 2018 at 9:18pm
Print Post  
Depends on training but most dogs can be versitile enough for whatever you want them to do.

Currently my dog is used to indicate big game, deer chamois etc - retrieve ducks, geese etc from a maimai - hunt point retrieve quail and rabbits. It is also a working detection dog on weekends. Each task is approached differently and the dog knows what is expected. Takes a lot of commitment and training to get to that stage though

Also a house pet at night with the missus Wink

IP Logged

oobuck
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #4 - Jul 14th, 2018 at 5:49pm
Print Post  
Agree with most all of the above but everything is a compromise and unless you are willing to put in the time to train the dog in all the different aspects you want it for, think 3x the normal training time and probably a less than perfect dog for any of the disciplines. That doesn't worry a lot of folks but I'd prefer the dog to excel at the chosen task. Horses for courses? Versatiles tend to do 'ok' at everything within limits (that's the versatile part) but put them against a dedicated breed that's been trained well and the shortcomings are fairly apparent.

IP Logged

Maddoghunter
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #5 - yesterday at 11:01pm
Print Post  
Iím currently training my finder/bailer Pig dog to indicate deer.
A solid stop command is essential. Iím finding that after years of the dog being taught/allowed to range out looking for scent and then being allowed to chase the Pig without my say so itís a bit of an ask to expect him to stand and wait for me.
Heís picking it up slowly. He knows if itís just me and him in deer country he has to stay close, but doesnít have the required steadyness yet. Likewise if we have the other dog and weíre in Pig country heíll range out and wonít chase deer.
I figure when heís too old and stuffed for pigs he might still be handy for deer. 😊

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards