Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic 'It's still Pheasant season up here' - a brief montage (Read 2417 times)
Nomads
Donor Member

Angler, hunter, gardener,
cook

'It's still Pheasant season up here' - a brief montage
Jul 12th, 2018 at 12:00pm
Print Post  
In general order of events...

Like a cane chair at a nudist camp, always leave an impression.

IP Logged

Salmoner
Donor Member

I love salmon fishin

Re: 'It's still Pheasant season up here' - a brief montage
Reply #1 - Jul 12th, 2018 at 12:47pm
Print Post  
Cool

Thanks for sharing.

IP Logged

outnabout

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #2 - Jul 12th, 2018 at 5:44pm
Print Post  

Like  Smiley

IP Logged

X-POACHER-YEAH RYT
Donor Member

Have you ever hunted Middle
Earth?

Reply #3 - Jul 13th, 2018 at 12:20pm
Print Post  
Good on ya, I  sometimes do miss hunting those fast-flying, wild bred birds of the Hokianga.   Smiley

Get as close as you can, then get a bit closer.

IP Logged

ReelLuckyBouy

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #4 - Jul 13th, 2018 at 3:38pm
Print Post  
Good stuff

IP Logged

willy2

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #5 - Jul 16th, 2018 at 10:12pm
Print Post  
no Suzuki in the wheel photo  Smiley

IP Logged

Snuffit
Forum Font

Reply #6 - Jul 18th, 2018 at 7:26am
Print Post  

IP Logged

BTMO
Forum Font

Show them you care. Stalk
them.

Reply #7 - Jul 25th, 2018 at 12:21pm
Print Post  
I've been trying for the last couple of years, after the waterbird season ends, to get a pheasant.

This included walking ... 36km (measured by fitbit!)around one of the coastal forests near Whanganui last weekend.

I saw several, heard one in the distance, actively hunted 3, but didn't get a shot away.

I *think* my dog can scent them, she certainly responds to their calls, but so far, I am getting a lot of exercise carrying a shotgun. Honestly, I am not sure what part the shotgun plays in the process!

Any hot tips for a newbie?

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an id10t. (Steven Wright)

IP Logged

Snuffit
Forum Font

Reply #8 - Jul 25th, 2018 at 5:14pm
Print Post  
Pheasants love sunshine. With the recent freezing cold mornings it pays to find north facing sunny areas where they hang out, esp if there's food nearby. Trouble with frosty mornings is they generally mean still clear days so the b*ggers can hear you coming easily. So if you can choose a day, a nice gentle breeze is helpful to carry scent and cover up sound. I *try* to stay quiet as I can but my dog is trained by me  Grin so sometimes needs a few encouraging words to do what I want her to. I've had some success on rainy days by hunting near ground cover. Apparently they don't like water dripping on them, no one does really. Hope that's helpful.

IP Logged

BTMO
Forum Font

them.

Reply #9 - Jul 27th, 2018 at 8:32pm
Print Post  
Snuffit wrote on Jul 25th, 2018 at 5:14pm:
Pheasants love sunshine. With the recent freezing cold mornings it pays to find north facing sunny areas where they hang out, esp if there's food nearby. Trouble with frosty mornings is they generally mean still clear days so the b*ggers can hear you coming easily. So if you can choose a day, a nice gentle breeze is helpful to carry scent and cover up sound. I *try* to stay quiet as I can but my dog is trained by me† Grin so sometimes needs a few encouraging words to do what I want her to. I've had some success on rainy days by hunting near ground cover. Apparently they don't like water dripping on them, no one does really. Hope that's helpful.

Yep, it sure is!

I'll let you know how I get on in a couple of weeks when I go out next.

Smiley

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an id10t. (Steven Wright)

IP Logged

willy2

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #10 - Jul 30th, 2018 at 8:01pm
Print Post  
BTMO wrote on Jul 27th, 2018 at 8:32pm:
Snuffit wrote on Jul 25th, 2018 at 5:14pm:
Pheasants love sunshine. With the recent freezing cold mornings it pays to find north facing sunny areas where they hang out, esp if there's food nearby. Trouble with frosty mornings is they generally mean still clear days so the b*ggers can hear you coming easily. So if you can choose a day, a nice gentle breeze is helpful to carry scent and cover up sound. I *try* to stay quiet as I can but my dog is trained by me† Grin so sometimes needs a few encouraging words to do what I want her to. I've had some success on rainy days by hunting near ground cover. Apparently they don't like water dripping on them, no one does really. Hope that's helpful.

Yep, it sure is!

I'll let you know how I get on in a couple of weeks when I go out next.

Smiley

keep trying† i have seen guys walk like steam trains at full steam and i mean that its quite amassing to watch some people field chasing pheasant , i think its mostly they are trying to keep up with there half trained dog† keep your dog in close even if you have to put a long† 15 to 25 meter rope on them† seen to meany people with dogs running out wide† to ever be bothered being on the ball† when thats happening

me im i wander† along working† the ground† if i come across a bit of good looking cover i will quickly get into the best possible† shooting spot usually holding the gun up ,

get into and work† some of the thicker cover and push in can work this late in the season† but not going flat out fast and pushing birds hard  look , think†, work the corners,  stopping and just standing for a moment can upset birds and make them jump  when working some areas work to the limits of the area  like go as far as you can

also can if u see a bird on the ground walking of in the distance† stop and let him settle in some cover then do some† quite slow stalking if hes not pushed he may sit† but the opposite is true to moving quickly up on him may produce the goods ,† im old so the slow approach is my option† †Grin 47 years i have been looking at roosters† i even got a few† love roosters

work the ground with positive moves† its all foot work with jumping roosters† †but not overly fast stop ever now and then try not to make to much noise keep your dog close† wide ranging dogs usually push birds up well out of range† be ready for the flush† if† using a double for your shooting† its ok to keep the gun open† with rooster a double really does come into there own† what ever u do, play safe and† be ready

IP Logged

BTMO
Forum Font

them.

Reply #11 - Jul 30th, 2018 at 8:17pm
Print Post  
Awesome!! Thanks for that. I am loving all of the advice! Smiley

IP Logged

Cruz
Forum Senior

Cruz the Lab & Landcruzer
wheels

Reply #12 - Jul 30th, 2018 at 10:03pm
Print Post  
I had a rural property a bit north of Katikati for 17 years - never lived there - sold it in January - I created a safe haven for birdlife, the Pheasant and Quail prospered. I only hunted with a camera and have countless shots of Pheasants - I knew where to find them and what time of the day to expect them to leave their cover - the roosters would call all day from up in the bush but this time of the year they would come out about 3.30 to 4.00 - generally a few hens first and then the roosters. The most prolific place to see them was in patches of willow weed - they would scratch around for months on end. They also came out on the house site - every day. So go find yourself some willow weed - thatís where they will be.

IP Logged

willy2

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #13 - Jul 31st, 2018 at 11:31am
Print Post  
why , as it always good to thin the roosters , which in turn  aides for better breeding egg incubating  and chick razing

theres way to meany protected areas in the bay now ever small block is a protected area  and 97 %of the western bay is small blocks  Grin

IP Logged

Nomads
Donor Member

Angler, hunter, gardener,
cook

Reply #14 - Sep 15th, 2018 at 11:10am
Print Post  

Like a cane chair at a nudist camp, always leave an impression.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards