Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) Nasty little tote rifle (Read 2770 times)
creed
Donor Member

Searching wild horizons
with pack & rifle

Nasty little tote rifle
Jul 10th, 2018 at 8:52pm
Print Post  
I've had a request from a fellow Outward Bound instructor who is planning an epic packraft mission throughout the bottom of the Sth.
He and his wife are going 'light as' and aiming to live off the land as much as possible ie. shoot and fish as they go.

Here's his enquiry:
"Do you happen to know any solid little telescopic lightweight fishing rods or breakdown rifles? We have been looking at Bails and Bergaras but am still wondering if there is anything lighter. Do you know if there are any laws around making your own firearms? There are just no lightweight ones out there that pack down really small."

Anyone on here able to help??
For example I met a guy in the hills last year from Dunedin who was doing a solo traverse of the Sth Island and shooting his food as he went. I reckon it was a great mission!
He was toting an old/cheap second hand .223 that he butchered . . . he'd carved great chunks off the stock, thinned it down etc. etc. and sawn off the barrel to pretty much close to the fore-end . . .dunno how short it was but not much longer than a gansta's sawn off shotgun it seemed!!! It was tiny, and light but said it was good out to 100m for knocking over tucker donks and goats!

I'll forward onto Bernie any advice from here. Cheers . . . in advance  Smiley

Hunting adventures - they're out there!
GTalk  
IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Re: Nasty little tote rifle
Reply #1 - Jul 11th, 2018 at 6:26pm
Print Post  
a bakail single break open is light as it is.... will pack down into 3 bits,4 if you add suppressor.7.62x39 or .223 or .308 any will do the job..... if you use an air rifle mount and drill small locator hole in top of dove tail it will be back on zero if taken off as its got no choice Grin..the open sights are reasonable and it would be simple matter to bore a hole through base of scope mount/ring to make them even better as an aperture type set up (playing with this idea myself,so far it looks very promising)

IP Logged

creed
Donor Member

Searching wild horizons
with pack & rifle

Reply #2 - Jul 11th, 2018 at 7:27pm
Print Post  
Micky Duck wrote on Jul 11th, 2018 at 6:26pm:
a bakail single break open is light as it is.... will pack down into 3 bits,4 if you add suppressor.7.62x39 or .223 or .308 any will do the job..... if you use an air rifle mount and drill small locator hole in top of dove tail it will be back on zero if taken off as its got no choice Grin..the open sights are reasonable and it would be simple matter to bore a hole through base of scope mount/ring to make them even better as an aperture type set up (playing with this idea myself,so far it looks very promising)

Are those Baikals "light"? From what I can see on website they come in at 3kg before you even add a scope. That seems real heavy, especially for a .223 aye?
It does look like they have plenty of wood on them that could possibly get carved off.

GTalk  
IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #3 - Jul 11th, 2018 at 7:42pm
Print Post  
pack ratf trip you said......the difference between a 3kg from new that will be fine and a 1kg will boot like shite in anything bigger than x39mm and will have ZERO resale if decide its not worth hanging onto.... I can understand keeping it small and being able to pack it down but seriously the difference in weight between good and butchered to hell and gone wont be worth the effort. for what its worth you can use it without forend wood at all,butstock is also optional it has long bolt through butt so you could do a superlight aluminium tube with butt on it piece of piss...but wouldnt be my cuppa tea at all Wink

IP Logged

Walker
Donor Member

Yum T-rex

Reply #4 - Jul 11th, 2018 at 7:53pm
Print Post  
And don't forget the required minimum length as well, reduce to much and it becomes a pistol.

Just do it

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #5 - Jul 11th, 2018 at 8:16pm
Print Post  
My mind goes back to W.D.M. Bell's 6.5x53mm rimmed he had Daniel Fraser make for him - weighed five and a half pounds and he shot all manner of African plains animals with that.
Make it a 'take down' and you have exactly what your mate is talking about.

Be good for fishing too - or should I have not said that ?

IP Logged

creed
Donor Member

Searching wild horizons
with pack & rifle

Reply #6 - Jul 11th, 2018 at 8:47pm
Print Post  
Shocked Gotta laugh at that one!

Micky Duck   I think they'll be doing quite a bit of hiking too, so they're really trying to lighten everything waaaay down. I imagine the resale value won't bother them as the piece will get used on similar epics in the future.

That idea of an aluminium tube for buttstock sounds interesting though.

I've now sent Bernie the link to this thread so these sorts of comments coming through should get his imagination going. I'm interested to see what he ends up with and seeing the photos of their Paleo diet in the wild fiords!

GTalk  
IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #7 - Jul 12th, 2018 at 3:27pm
Print Post  
creed wrote on Jul 11th, 2018 at 8:47pm:
I've now sent Bernie the link to this thread so these sorts of comments coming through should get his imagination going. I'm interested to see what he ends up with and seeing the photos of their Paleo diet in the wild fiords!

I'd be interested in seeing a photo of his turd after a couple of days on that 'paleo diet'.
My BIL and I tried it many years ago and it gave us the 'shits' big time and forced us back home to recover - so my recommendation is to ease it into the diet very slowly.

I still reckon he should get a Dan'l Fraser 'take-down' - or perhaps a Rigby Lightweight in .275.
I had one for a while, weighed around 6 1/4lb - and I wished I still had it.

The other option of course - a Snider Cavalry Carbine which has the added benefit that should you pull the bullet, you can drink from the hollow base and you can use the primer and powder to light a fire.
A true multi-functional weapon that for some unfathomable reason - has gone out of fashion.

IP Logged

creed
Donor Member

Searching wild horizons
with pack & rifle

Reply #8 - Jul 12th, 2018 at 9:34pm
Print Post  
Grin Cheesy

Yeah - agree, was just a joke - I'm sure it won't be a Paleo diet aye!  Smiley
These two are really experienced outdoor adventurers so they know how to look after themselves well, including with their food. They do want to try and reduce their carried food needs though, eating what's naturally available as well - so yeah, fish and game are on the menu! (at least they aim to shoot some wild protein whereas I can remember a big wilderness fishing trip I did with a cobber years ago and we had no rifle with us. We were catch and release and killing the occassional trout throughout the 10 days.  After a while we got sick of trout and so we ambushed and ran down a kid goat . . . it never stood a chance as we were hanging out for red meat!)

GTalk  
IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #9 - Jul 12th, 2018 at 11:23pm
Print Post  
Yeah - variety with food is a problem if you're out there for a while. I've watched your vid's on dehydrating stroganoff meals etc, and have included that into what I take now - otherwise it's porridge, done in a billy or made into bars with nuts, dried fruit, whatever's on hand really.
The 'paleo diet' we tried was to include native greenery, roots etc, (took a book with us) - but probably got a bit too enthusiastic and it didn't work out so well.
A young possum is good eating, just the back legs - would simmer them in water for twenty minutes and brown with fat in a pan - so a couple of traps mightn't be a silly idea.
Probably the best little gun to take would be a .22 for rabbits and other ...... things, but wouldn't be allowed many places.

Be very interested in hearing what those guys did take in the way of equipment and base food and how it all worked for them. A diary of their trip would be a very interesting read, certainly for me and I suspect - many others on here. Yeah, throw in a few photo's and I'd be tempted to buy such a book.

Good luck to them - such a trip is something that's wandered in my thinking for probably fifty years - but never got around to it.

IP Logged

creed
Donor Member

Searching wild horizons
with pack & rifle

Reply #10 - Jul 13th, 2018 at 12:56pm
Print Post  
Yup, I'm pretty sure a diary/trip report will be written  Wink

Such missions are great trips, both in the planning and in the execution of the plan.

Hope they see your comment about the trap . . . such an easy food source aye!

GTalk  
IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #11 - Jul 13th, 2018 at 6:28pm
Print Post  
someone...think its harrington and richardson make a survivor....its a lightly rifled .410 single shot with skeletal stock...being lightly rifled it works fine with .45 long colt which will take down a deer if you get in close and do your part..... having option to use shot shells for bunnies etc is added bonus...purpose built you could say.

IP Logged

mitch270
Donor Member

No longer owns a .270

Reply #12 - Jul 14th, 2018 at 9:24am
Print Post  
Chiappa make some light skeletal stock rifles, I.e little badger, double badger, unsure though whether they come in centerfire calibres.
The baikal and the Rossi (Pomba and wizard) single shots both come in a synthetic stocked version, these may be lighter than their wooden counterparts.
Iím not sure what they weigh, but a martini enfield artillery carbine could be an option.
Some of the shorter muzzle loaders are also quite light on account of their minimally sized action. Classier than a hack job baikal too.

IP Logged

deerstalker
Forum Font

Reply #13 - Jul 14th, 2018 at 9:50am
Print Post  
Hey Creed,
A good friend of mine who is right into the ultra light side of things built this little rifle for walking the length of the country. (hes mad though, instead of following the TA trail he walked up the east cape then proceded to bush bash the length of the north island- Raukumara-Waioeka-Urewera-Kaimanawa-Kaweka-Ruahine-Tararuas, plus plenty of detours in the south† Cool )

Its a Thomson contender in 3030 with every bit of un needed metal shaved off and a carbon tube instead of a foregrip. He used to also have a collapsible skeleton stock for it which was the gears.
A very handy little rifle that can fold up and be stored in a pack.

IP Logged

creed
Donor Member

Searching wild horizons
with pack & rifle

Reply #14 - Jul 14th, 2018 at 5:38pm
Print Post  
Now THAT'S what we're talking about!!

That friend must be legend

GTalk  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards