Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic A proud moment. (Read 904 times)
Stretch
Donor Member

A proud moment.
Jul 9th, 2018 at 1:17pm
Print Post  
In November last year I decided I was in a good position to get a pup and train it for indicating.  I had grown up with dogs and hunted with family pet dogs up to about the age of 18. I missed having one around and to me the benefits were endless.

After viewing a few litters, Cesky Fouseks, Labradors, GSP's and heading dogs as well, I finally found a pup I liked from a family in Galatea, a Lab/GSP x.

I called my new mate Finn and the last few months have been fairly quiet on the hunting front as I've been busy with getting the pup up to speed, getting him used to guns, cars, people, and walking where he needed to for success.

At almost 8 months old I observed that the dog was basically ready enough in my opinion to come for a walk and maybe see a deer.

So after work last week I nipped up to a spot I have permission to hunt. This spot is mostly tussock with a bit of scattered alpine scrub/bush in patches. Wandering up through the lower tussock produced nothing , and the dog was fairly slow to settle in. There were a lot of good marks through the grass, and his interest in all the fresh scents was obvious.

Getting up to a high point in the half light I spotted a yearling about 800m away , but I knew I could close the gap. It had a clear view of my position and there wasn't much cover in the way to hide myself and the young pup from view. Out to my left there was a small ridge I could get a shot away from, but we would lose sight of it until we were almost upon it. I scratched my face and pondered my moves with the wind a steady breeze in my face.  I looked at Finn. He was waiting for the next move. I decided to give it a go for the sake of the dog.

We slipped off the side of the high point and weaved our way between scrubby patches. The dog could sense my change in attitude, and started moving with more purpose than before. Stopping, looking, ears wiggling. The natural sneak he sometimes displayed when mucking round with me on the lawn was working overtime as he picked his way along in front.

The point I had chosen to shoot from came quickly, and sneaking up to the top I put the dog on a stop. I eased my way beside him. Where was the deer? I looked around and there it was against the bush edge ready to disappear into cover at the extreme edge of my comfortable shooting range.

I got comfortable, lay down, and fired. The deer took off over a small hump out of sight, not running into cover as I expected! This was good. Leading the dog over to where the deer was he immediately got the scent and tracked it. I had missed cleanly.

The deer had run along the ridge and dropped down into another big scrubby gut. As we got closer to a point where I could see more of the gut the dog started winding hard and didn't want to move for anything.

It had to be close.........

The dog lost his wind, and he moved over to my right. At the same time I saw the deer watching him move across the gut maybe 100 m off. I stopped the dog, and lined up on the deers neck. A quick shot and it was down!!

I gave the dog a good pat and let him get the wind back. He ranged from side to side, working the wind quickly. It was pretty awesome to watch. But as we got closer he broke and grabbed the deer by the throat before I could react!

I got a fright there but managed to get him back on side, and that was that. Finn's first deer, a nice yearling.

A lot of work, a lot of patience and a lot of time went in but to see it all come together was one of the most satisfying things I've ever done in my life. Hopefully I'll have a few more posts to chuck up as time goes on  Cool

IP Logged

Trout
Donor Member

Top NZ WhiteTail

Re: A proud moment.
Reply #1 - Jul 9th, 2018 at 1:31pm
Print Post  
Nice one Finn and Stretch,Finn looks very proud of himself posing by the tasty yearling.
Hope Finn gets a few good feeds of veni.He s your friend for life now. Wink

Shot a few deer,caugth some big trout and salmon

IP Logged

Browndog300
Just Joined

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #2 - Jul 9th, 2018 at 2:31pm
Print Post  
Good start Stretch, they are a lot of work to get up to speed but its all worth it in the end.

IP Logged

BC
Donor Member

Reply #3 - Jul 9th, 2018 at 6:07pm
Print Post  
That's wonderful!

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.......

IP Logged

Stretch
Donor Member

Reply #4 - Jul 9th, 2018 at 7:12pm
Print Post  
Browndog300 wrote on Jul 9th, 2018 at 2:31pm:
Good start Stretch, they are a lot of work to get up to speed but its all worth it in the end.

By no means is he perfect, but I'm looking forward to getting 10 years of learning and fun times out of him!

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #5 - Jul 9th, 2018 at 8:18pm
Print Post  
good shit bud...may it be the first of many more.

IP Logged

meathunter72
Donor Member

Reply #6 - Jul 9th, 2018 at 9:52pm
Print Post  
Nice One. Cool Cool

Keep the wind in your face and your freezer full.

IP Logged

Deathwind
Donor Member

Keen hunter

Reply #7 - Jul 9th, 2018 at 11:46pm
Print Post  
Well done.

IP Logged

264Magic
Donor Member

Reply #8 - Jul 10th, 2018 at 8:57am
Print Post  
Cool Cool Cool Cool

It is much better to Hit the Animal in the right place, with a Rifle you can shoot well, then to hit it poorly with a Large Calibre..John Nosler

IP Logged

EJL
Donor Member

Manapouri.... Heaven on
Earth

Reply #9 - Jul 10th, 2018 at 11:07am
Print Post  
That's awesome, well done.

Impossible is nothing.....................

IP Logged

ReelLuckyBouy

Reply #10 - Jul 10th, 2018 at 9:31pm
Print Post  
Smiley Awesome stuff

IP Logged

Ackley

Reply #11 - Jul 11th, 2018 at 9:25am
Print Post  
Lucky you missing the first shot gave Finn and excellent chance to show you how good he is going to be Wink

IP Logged

TJ
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

EBRG forever- Cher, cher
Bro

Reply #12 - Jul 11th, 2018 at 11:02am
Print Post  
Your pup looks just like my GSP stud dog, long gone now though

IP Logged

ICEMAN
Forum Font

Reply #13 - Jul 11th, 2018 at 11:05am
Print Post  
That is awesome young fella, and a great name to, one of my grandkids has it lol.
Nice result and it Looks like your back in familiar country. Wink

IP Logged

ashfishman
Donor Member

Always ready to learn

Reply #14 - Jul 12th, 2018 at 11:40am
Print Post  
Way cool way to form a very special lie long relationship.
Well done.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards