Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) 6.5 Creedmoor (Read 3007 times)
Pigs
Just Joined

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

6.5 Creedmoor
Jul 5th, 2018 at 7:33pm
Print Post  
Iím in the market for a new riffle after a few years of chasing pigs Iím getting back into the deer hunting. Was chatting to the guy at H&F today and he recommended the 6.5 Creedmoor over the 308. I will be hunting bush and farms for red deer fallow and the odd pig. Most shots will be between 200-400 metres. Whatís your thoughts on this? Thanks

IP Logged

beretta all the way

Re: 6.5 Creedmoor
Reply #1 - Jul 5th, 2018 at 7:57pm
Print Post  
In the 200-400 range both will do the job just fine
All depends on the man behind the trigger

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #2 - Jul 5th, 2018 at 9:17pm
Print Post  
the .308 all the way...... the 6.5 is the new skid on the jock and all the rage TODAY..... it wont do anything the 08 wont do just as good if not better (wait for the cries of protest from the guys who own one telling you its good to Roll Eyes Roll Eyes 1km)  feed your 08 with 180grn winchester power point for the close stuff and take your pick for over 100 yard work.
if you tight for $$$$ barnaul and belmont both do loads at about a buck a bang.

IP Logged

Walker
Donor Member

Yum T-rex

Reply #3 - Jul 5th, 2018 at 9:26pm
Print Post  
Ditto the 308 better all rounder

Just do it

IP Logged

JaSa

Know your (rifles) limits

Reply #4 - Jul 5th, 2018 at 11:08pm
Print Post  
The 6.5 CM was born when a few target shooter had a brainstorming session to come up with the ideal target caliber and brass. Which tells you a lot already. After a little while hunters thought they can use the cartridge for hunting past 500m but in reality it's a big difference to hit steel plates and punch holes in paper vs trying to kill a big bodied deer at that distance.
Not saying that the CM can't tip over a deer but there are better calibers out there.
On the other hand I have a 6.5CM coming in August so go figure, hehe Smiley

Cheers,
JaSa

IP Logged

bill f

Reply #5 - Jul 6th, 2018 at 7:18am
Print Post  
For the purposes that you stated, my personal choice would be the 308 Win.  My reasons are as follows:

1-308  ammo is more available generally speaking
2-308 has a heavy bullet option
3-308 barrel life should be somewhat better
4-bullet selection in factory ammo for the non reloader is much greater in the 308 win

my .02 cents........the 308win has served me very well

IP Logged

J
Donor Member

Per Ardua

Reply #6 - Jul 6th, 2018 at 8:25am
Print Post  
H&F bloke needs a kick in the pods. 6.5 Creedmoor is the latest fashion accessory and heís trying to sell you whatís in this season. Of the two, .308 for me for what you want to hunt up to 400m. Iím not a betting man, but I would bet that .308 will still be popular in 20 yearsí time, but 6.5 Creedmoor will be well out of fashion.

IP Logged

Flintlock
Donor Member

Reply #7 - Jul 6th, 2018 at 11:34am
Print Post  
.308 is a fine hunting round , more importantly both reloading components and factory ammo are  a lot less expensive than the Creedmoor , is highly developed for reloading  and is available all over NZ if you forget your ammo and have to buy a packet .
Creedmoor is name of the famous long range shooting range, in the USA , which has been in use since muzzle loading days

Shooting is the most fun you can legally have with your clothes on .
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

IP Logged

Rumpy
Donor Member

Wishing I was out in the
hills.

Reply #8 - Jul 7th, 2018 at 11:33am
Print Post  
For some strange reason the OP hasn't mentioned a .270 in the post. I don't get it. Grin

.270 WIN † AWESOME SINCE 1925† †† † "REMEMBER THE 6 P's" POOR PREPARATION PROVIDES PISS POOR PERFORMANCE

IP Logged

remmodel7
Forum Senior

Reply #9 - Jul 7th, 2018 at 12:13pm
Print Post  
If the creedmore is the latest fashion accessory does that mean that the 7mm08 especially in tikka is a legitimate cartridge and rifle now? Is a creedmore the latest latte rifle now?

IP Logged

ashfishman
Donor Member

Always ready to learn

Reply #10 - Jul 7th, 2018 at 2:07pm
Print Post  
Don't be silly.
Lie down and have another moccachino.

IP Logged

seventenths
Forum Font

Reply #11 - Jul 9th, 2018 at 2:44pm
Print Post  
A mate has a Howa in 6.5 Creedmore and its a great wee rifle though it hasn't bloodied anything yet!

Based on what your after... i'd look at the tried and proven 7mm-08  Cool

ďWe do not inherit the earth from our ancestors. We borrow it from our children."

IP Logged

BSA.270
Just Joined

NO REST FOR THE WICKED

Reply #12 - Jul 9th, 2018 at 4:04pm
Print Post  
J wrote on Jul 6th, 2018 at 8:25am:
H&F bloke needs a kick in the pods. 6.5 Creedmoor is the latest fashion accessory and heís trying to sell you whatís in this season. Of the two, .308 for me for what you want to hunt up to 400m. Iím not a betting man, but I would bet that .308 will still be popular in 20 yearsí time, but 6.5 Creedmoor will be well out of fashion.

The 6.5 Creedmoor is here and it's here to stay Cheesy. And the longer it's here the more options in ammo and projectiles for hunting there will be. The fact that US Socom and DHS are changing their sniper platforms from. 308 to 6.5 CM is a telling sign, my thoughts tho.

To each their own, I've gone and brought a 6.5 CM and so far love it ( only 9 rounds through her as breaking in still), but I'm keen on plinking steel as well as hunting so it fits for what I want to do.

Anyway got my pop corn ready Cheesy Grin

BSA CF2 .270, Leupold VX1 3x9x40
B14 HMR 6.5CM, Vortex 6x24x50

IP Logged

J
Donor Member

Per Ardua

Reply #13 - Jul 9th, 2018 at 7:54pm
Print Post  
Yes, true, but they also tested the .260 Rem and found the two to be almost identical. And thatís my point: it doesnít do anything that .260, 6.5x55 or 6.5x47 donít already do, and they are already all very good.

I donít have anything against it at all, and it will do a good job, but letís not pretend it has any new attributes that make it a stand out performer (unless a slightly shorter case and longer neck are important to you).

We are also talking about hunting up to 400 metres, so comparing that to military sniping isnít a fair or reasonable comparison.

All of that said, we all make our own choices and pick whatís right for our own needs.

IP Logged

X-POACHER-YEAH RYT
Donor Member

Have you ever hunted Middle
Earth?

Reply #14 - Jul 9th, 2018 at 10:10pm
Print Post  
seventenths wrote on Jul 9th, 2018 at 2:44pm:
A mate has a Howa in 6.5 Creedmore and its a great wee rifle though it hasn't bloodied anything yet!

Based on what your after... i'd look at the tried and proven 7mm-08† Cool

I'm with 7/10ths on the 7-08 also, based on my last seventeen years of mainly using it.  Smiley
As you have already been advised, there are several cartridges that are suitable for all NZ big game. The main thing to focus on, is get a rifle that fits and suits you.  Wink Good luck on your choice.

Get as close as you can, then get a bit closer.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards