Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Illuminated reticles – any good or not? (Read 1027 times)
Garret
Forum Senior

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Illuminated reticles – any good or not?
Jul 4th, 2018 at 9:02am
Print Post  
Looking for a new scope, it seems now the majority of the newer flagship scopes have illuminated reticles, is this because they're actually an improvement or is it simply another opportunity for manufacturers to increase the price a little? I had a NSX a few years ago and never used the illumination feature - is there a particular type of shooting illumination is suited to?

IP Logged

tikka

Re: Illuminated reticles – any good or not?
Reply #1 - Jul 4th, 2018 at 1:50pm
Print Post  
I do a lot of shooting just on dark and it has a definite advantage over not having a illumination. Some places the deer won’t come out on the clearings until just on dark. Used to have the old NSX models with the fixed setting illumination not that great. But now have the new push button adjustable with the choice of red and green reticles, it doesn’t wash the target out being to bright.

IP Logged

Sayonara
Donor Member

Always ready to learn

Reply #2 - Jul 5th, 2018 at 9:25am
Print Post  
Have an illuminated scope on the .223
Very good at last/first light especially as my eyes are the same age as the rest of me.

IP Logged

BC
Donor Member

Reply #3 - Jul 5th, 2018 at 4:02pm
Print Post  
Sayonara wrote on Jul 5th, 2018 at 9:25am:
Very good at last/first light especially as my eyes are the same age as the rest of me.

I thought that one of your eyes would still be in brand new and un-used condition.  Smiley Smiley

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.......

IP Logged

J
Donor Member

Per Ardua

Reply #4 - Jul 6th, 2018 at 8:39pm
Print Post  
I had a really nice fixed magnification Swaro scope years ago without illumination. My stalking was mainly for pressurised fallow that appeared at or close to last light and took to cover at the first sign of light in the morning. I got tired of trying to guess where the cross hairs of my reticle were in relation to deer I was trying to shoot in low light. I switched to a Z6i and the difference was amazing. Now every scope I have is illuminated and I use the illumination in almost all conditions. I wouldn’t go ba k to a scope without illumination now.

IP Logged

Garret
Forum Senior

Reply #5 - Jul 7th, 2018 at 8:40am
Print Post  
Thanks for the feedback - my eyes aren't as sharp as they used to be, will definitely get illumination  Cool

IP Logged

Sayonara
Donor Member

Always ready to learn

Reply #6 - Jul 7th, 2018 at 2:08pm
Print Post  
BC wrote on Jul 5th, 2018 at 4:02pm:
Sayonara wrote on Jul 5th, 2018 at 9:25am:

I thought that one of your eyes would still be in brand new and un-used condition.  Smiley Smiley

Grin Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards