Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Lab radar dopler chronograph. (Read 191 times)
baron8
Just Joined

Stuff work lets go hunting.

Lab radar dopler chronograph.
Jul 3rd, 2018 at 7:40pm
Print Post  
Has anybody here had any experience with the labradar dopler chronograph? Thinking about buying one so looking for feedback on them. They seen like the dogs bollocks reading all the reviews on them.

IP Logged

6.5x55bjai

Re: Lab radar dopler chronograph.
Reply #1 - Jul 3rd, 2018 at 8:22pm
Print Post  
Yep, bought mine when they became available in NZ late last year. The agent offered the first ones at an introductory price.

Serious dosh but haven’t regretted the purchase. I do a lot of chronographing though.

Started out with a Chrony F1, then CED, then Magnetospeed. Magnetospeed very good except for the barrel mount aspect affecting zeroing plus hard to mount on military style fully wooded firearms. The optical ones just don’t cut it with variable lighting affecting their accuracy. Even my CED with infrared lighting wasn’t totally immune plus it was a real pain to set up.

One of the big issues with chronographs that go out in front of the shooter is setting them up. At my club you might have 8 odd other shooters waiting to get underway and many times I just had to get out of the way to allow shooting to start and then finished setting up at the next break in shooting. Also my club rules say no rifles on the bench whilst range closed and people forward. Impossible to set up an optical chrony without having the rifle on the bench.

The Labradar (and Magnetospeed) get around the issue of having to go forward to set up.
Accuracy of both the LR and MS is much more certain then the optical devices.

I can shoot all my CF and RF rifles, and my air rifles past the Labradar with no set up hassles. The Magnetospeed  is not so  accommodating.

Most modern chronographs offer series storage and downloading so won’t comment on Labradar’s abilities here.
Magnetospeed is a good cheaper option just the issue of it moving the point of impact. You need to do velocity readings and then remove to check zero – more ammo expended.

Seeing a fair few Labradars on ranges now.

IP Logged

6.5x55bjai

Reply #2 - Jul 3rd, 2018 at 8:31pm
Print Post  
Labradar have also just released an App for Apple and Android that allows you to control the LR from your phone or tablet. Results are also displayed on your phone or tablet. Makes the LR even more versatile.

IP Logged

seventenths
Forum Font

Reply #3 - Jul 3rd, 2018 at 9:10pm
Print Post  
I'm using my mates one... it's on loan to me for the time being... It took a bit to get used to the settings as I had issues with it reading speeds with rifle with suppressors on but "Uncle Google" helped me sort that out as it was "setting" issue.

I find it great to use and no issue of having to set up a chronograph in front of you on a tripod.

Not cheap but certainly a better option.  Cool

“We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors. We borrow it from our children."

IP Logged

6.5x55bjai

Reply #4 - Jul 4th, 2018 at 7:45am
Print Post  
seventenths wrote on Jul 3rd, 2018 at 9:10pm:
I'm using my mates one... it's on loan to me for the time being... It took a bit to get used to the settings as I had issues with it reading speeds with rifle with suppressors on but "Uncle Google" helped me sort that out as it was "setting" issue.

I find it great to use and no issue of having to set up a chronograph in front of you on a tripod.

At the range the other day and my mate's LR wouldn't trigger with his suppressor on. Plugged in my airgun mike (he had left his at home) and purrfect after that.

IP Logged

seventenths
Forum Font

Reply #5 - Jul 4th, 2018 at 4:42pm
Print Post  
6.5x55bjai wrote on Jul 4th, 2018 at 7:45am:
seventenths wrote on Jul 3rd, 2018 at 9:10pm:

At the range the other day and my mate's LR wouldn't trigger with his suppressor on. Plugged in my airgun mike (he had left his at home) and purrfect after that.

I'd been to the range on three occasions and couldn't for the life of me figure out why it wouldn't work with suppressed rifles!

We were about to buy the airgun microphone but found an article where it said to have it on "Setting 1" which is the most sensitive.

No issues after that... it's worked flawlessly  Cool

I don't have much experience with chronograghs but found it to be the best and easiest to set up and like my iPhone... it has more functions than I know what to do with  Cool

“We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors. We borrow it from our children."

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards