Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Lab radar dopler chronograph. (Read 669 times)
baron8
Just Joined

Stuff work lets go hunting.

Lab radar dopler chronograph.
Jul 3rd, 2018 at 7:40pm
Print Post  
Has anybody here had any experience with the labradar dopler chronograph? Thinking about buying one so looking for feedback on them. They seen like the dogs bollocks reading all the reviews on them.

IP Logged

6.5x55bjai

Re: Lab radar dopler chronograph.
Reply #1 - Jul 3rd, 2018 at 8:22pm
Print Post  
Yep, bought mine when they became available in NZ late last year. The agent offered the first ones at an introductory price.

Serious dosh but haven’t regretted the purchase. I do a lot of chronographing though.

Started out with a Chrony F1, then CED, then Magnetospeed. Magnetospeed very good except for the barrel mount aspect affecting zeroing plus hard to mount on military style fully wooded firearms. The optical ones just don’t cut it with variable lighting affecting their accuracy. Even my CED with infrared lighting wasn’t totally immune plus it was a real pain to set up.

One of the big issues with chronographs that go out in front of the shooter is setting them up. At my club you might have 8 odd other shooters waiting to get underway and many times I just had to get out of the way to allow shooting to start and then finished setting up at the next break in shooting. Also my club rules say no rifles on the bench whilst range closed and people forward. Impossible to set up an optical chrony without having the rifle on the bench.

The Labradar (and Magnetospeed) get around the issue of having to go forward to set up.
Accuracy of both the LR and MS is much more certain then the optical devices.

I can shoot all my CF and RF rifles, and my air rifles past the Labradar with no set up hassles. The Magnetospeed  is not so  accommodating.

Most modern chronographs offer series storage and downloading so won’t comment on Labradar’s abilities here.
Magnetospeed is a good cheaper option just the issue of it moving the point of impact. You need to do velocity readings and then remove to check zero – more ammo expended.

Seeing a fair few Labradars on ranges now.

IP Logged

6.5x55bjai

Reply #2 - Jul 3rd, 2018 at 8:31pm
Print Post  
Labradar have also just released an App for Apple and Android that allows you to control the LR from your phone or tablet. Results are also displayed on your phone or tablet. Makes the LR even more versatile.

IP Logged

seventenths
Forum Font

Reply #3 - Jul 3rd, 2018 at 9:10pm
Print Post  
I'm using my mates one... it's on loan to me for the time being... It took a bit to get used to the settings as I had issues with it reading speeds with rifle with suppressors on but "Uncle Google" helped me sort that out as it was "setting" issue.

I find it great to use and no issue of having to set up a chronograph in front of you on a tripod.

Not cheap but certainly a better option.  Cool

“We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors. We borrow it from our children."

IP Logged

6.5x55bjai

Reply #4 - Jul 4th, 2018 at 7:45am
Print Post  
seventenths wrote on Jul 3rd, 2018 at 9:10pm:
I'm using my mates one... it's on loan to me for the time being... It took a bit to get used to the settings as I had issues with it reading speeds with rifle with suppressors on but "Uncle Google" helped me sort that out as it was "setting" issue.

I find it great to use and no issue of having to set up a chronograph in front of you on a tripod.

At the range the other day and my mate's LR wouldn't trigger with his suppressor on. Plugged in my airgun mike (he had left his at home) and purrfect after that.

IP Logged

seventenths
Forum Font

Reply #5 - Jul 4th, 2018 at 4:42pm
Print Post  
6.5x55bjai wrote on Jul 4th, 2018 at 7:45am:
seventenths wrote on Jul 3rd, 2018 at 9:10pm:

At the range the other day and my mate's LR wouldn't trigger with his suppressor on. Plugged in my airgun mike (he had left his at home) and purrfect after that.

I'd been to the range on three occasions and couldn't for the life of me figure out why it wouldn't work with suppressed rifles!

We were about to buy the airgun microphone but found an article where it said to have it on "Setting 1" which is the most sensitive.

No issues after that... it's worked flawlessly  Cool

I don't have much experience with chronograghs but found it to be the best and easiest to set up and like my iPhone... it has more functions than I know what to do with  Cool

“We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors. We borrow it from our children."

IP Logged

muzr257

Overkill never fails!

Reply #6 - Jul 23rd, 2018 at 3:04pm
Print Post  
Muzzle location plays a big part. Have the suppressed muzzle BEHIND the unit and it will work fine - don't have it in front or level with the unit. Needs the pressure to trigger it I have found with my one.

Beware the man with only one gun, for he be a sad c#nt

IP Logged

50BMG
Donor Member

12.7 x 114 - Yep I can
reach that....

Reply #7 - Jul 23rd, 2018 at 10:07pm
Print Post  
Baron8

They are the bees knees. The spend will be quickly paid back in saved ammo if you do load development and construct proper range card data. Do not hesitate to invest. If do not have it, get Quickload. Then (sell your kids, wife, mother in law etc) and get a Kestral with Applied Ballistics on board and a Vectronix LRF.

If you read the instructions, open your mind and get in some trigger time, you will learn heaps, build confidence and have heap of success.

"The brave few are Freedoms rampart for the many"  "Otherwise protect your freedoms or you will surely lose them"

IP Logged

puffin
Just Joined

huffin' & puffin'

Reply #8 - Aug 4th, 2018 at 6:34pm
Print Post  
Mmmmmm... VECTRONIX.... you do know that civilians can't afford that sort of equipment ?

Agree that the Labradar and QuickLOAD are both must-haves.

IP Logged

50BMG
Donor Member

12.7 x 114 - Yep I can
reach that....

Reply #9 - Aug 4th, 2018 at 6:43pm
Print Post  
puffin wrote on Aug 4th, 2018 at 6:34pm:
Mmmmmm... VECTRONIX.... you do know that civilians can't afford that sort of kit ?

You may be surprised.... PLRF25 for Under $2500.00. This is a lot up front but it saves huge amounts over a lifetime of use. On board applied ballistics, and finds incline, range and azimuth matches to direct data from Kestrel. It takes less than three seconds (with some serious pratise) from stop to data available.

Match with a PMII digital and it is right there with the reticle. I get that this is $$$$ but worth the effort and saves more $$$ long term.

FYI my LRF of choice is the Vectronix JIM HR. 25000K so a company purchase item Wink Wink Wink

"The brave few are Freedoms rampart for the many"  "Otherwise protect your freedoms or you will surely lose them"

IP Logged

Kiwi Greg
Donor Member

Terminator Products<br
/>

Reply #10 - Aug 5th, 2018 at 7:13am
Print Post  
Love my PLRF 10 a blt old school now but still unbelievable performance

<div style=
IP Logged

50BMG
Donor Member

12.7 x 114 - Yep I can
reach that....

Reply #11 - Aug 5th, 2018 at 8:32pm
Print Post  
Kiwi Greg wrote on Aug 5th, 2018 at 7:13am:
Love my PLRF 10 a blt old school now but still unbelievable performance

Nothing at all wrong with a 10. It may not be brand new but will work forever. They are accurate and idiot proof.  I know cause I proved it Grin Grin and I am here to admit to it.

IP Logged

madracer

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #12 - Aug 7th, 2018 at 7:13pm
Print Post  
got a labradar and its going great, but.. has anyone managed to track a 20 cal projectile with it and do you have tips if you have?

IP Logged

6.5x55bjai

Reply #13 - Aug 8th, 2018 at 10:59am
Print Post  
madracer wrote on Aug 7th, 2018 at 7:13pm:
got a labradar and its going great, but.. has anyone managed to track a 20 cal projectile with it and do you have tips if you have?

You haven't said if it is just plain not triggering, or is trigerring but then not tracking (acquisition error).
I have had the odd problem, one of them was a lot of acquisition errors. I sent off the tracking data to MyLabradar (LR sole worldwide distributor-) and they replied over night. Very prompt and helpful. My problem was having the LR too close to the muzzle and it was picking up the gases/smoke.

Your problem without knowing more details could be internal settings or position of the LR to muzzle.

IP Logged

50BMG
Donor Member

12.7 x 114 - Yep I can
reach that....

Reply #14 - Aug 9th, 2018 at 4:39pm
Print Post  
madracer wrote on Aug 7th, 2018 at 7:13pm:

Hi Madracer.

I support 6.5x55jai questions. I would add that the bigger the projectile the easier the tracking and more accurate the data available.

The most likely issue is your set up. Pay particular attention to where your sensors are in relation to muzzle. Unlike a chrony, doppler is quite happy standing off bit and actually will not work if too close.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards