Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Koura/Fresh Water Crays (Read 632 times)
Bushpig
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Koura/Fresh Water Crays
Jul 1st, 2018 at 4:30pm
Print Post  
Hi Fellas
I live in South Canterbury and have been after Koura for a while now for both a feed and something to take the kids to do. I have dropped test pots in a few spots with no luck. I have also been up to Lake Georgina twice and caught one.  Cry I am happy to travel to North Otago or Mid Canterbury to have a crack so if anyone could help out I would really appreciate it Private message if you prefer. Also is there a time of year they are more active?
Cheers

IP Logged

ReelLuckyBouy

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Koura/Fresh Water Crays
Reply #1 - Jul 2nd, 2018 at 8:36pm
Print Post  
I have been curious about this too, spend quite a bit of time in Twizel during the summer lake fishing from the boat but always keen to try something different.

IP Logged

MassiveAttack
Forum Font

Setting trends in waterfowling
fashion since 2011

Reply #2 - Jul 5th, 2018 at 7:35pm
Print Post  
Put it this way.  I have tried in a good couple of likely places and so far I have caught the same number as bushpig.

This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine.  Without my rifle I am useless, without me it is useless.

IP Logged

Andy W
Just Joined

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #3 - Jul 6th, 2018 at 7:49am
Print Post  
Bushpig wrote on Jul 1st, 2018 at 4:30pm:
I have also been up to Lake Georgina twice and caught one. 

Surprised you caught one in Georgina. Been a long time since I saw the dead body of one up there, as they got a hammering 10 years ago or more. It got so bad you were in danger of breaking an ankle as you waded the edge, as the persons gathering them used a method whereby they dug a hole in the lake bed and set buckets into them. They may come back but it will take a long time.

Central Otago is the place to go and try - the rougher the drive in, the more chance you have of catching them. Pick a spring through to summer morning - they don't like high temps.

IP Logged

Bushpig
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #4 - Jul 6th, 2018 at 9:51am
Print Post  
I have heard many stories of where they used to be but cant seem find where they still are. I have been using offal as bait, can anyone tell me what is best to use?

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #5 - Jul 6th, 2018 at 8:54pm
Print Post  
the more blood the better...if eels turn up you wont likely find koura as they will have been eaten..... slow water with heaps of cover.

IP Logged

MassiveAttack
Forum Font

Setting trends in waterfowling
fashion since 2011

Reply #6 - Jul 9th, 2018 at 2:26pm
Print Post  
Regarding the temperature thing.  Can anyone tell me if I am wasting my time checking streams in the high country?  Because I live in Canterbury I have to drive to some mountains to find a stream that isn't mostly cow poos.  I am wondering if up in the mountains it's too cold for them?

This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine.  Without my rifle I am useless, without me it is useless.

IP Logged

ashfishman
Donor Member

Always ready to learn

Reply #7 - yesterday at 2:53pm
Print Post  
There are some spots in Southland and Otago that hold the largest  species at up to 10 inches from fork in the tail to the mouth parts.
3 of those is a feed and they're lovely.
Use a nice meaty bone on some wool or other rough yarn and wrap heaps of it round the bait as their spines, mandibles and claws get stuck in it and that's makes it easier to pull them in successfully.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards