Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Woodhill Block 2's biological reserve (Read 536 times)
lazfire
Donor Member

If you see a deer, shoot
it.

Woodhill Block 2's biological reserve
Jul 1st, 2018 at 12:52pm
Print Post  
Hi,

Does anyone know anything about the biological reserves in block 2? The 2 circular areas in the block.
I guess there should be food for the deer in there than would otherwise be in a pine forest.

And any advice for hunting in block 2 from anyone who has been in there would be appreciated

Thanks,
L

Kind regards,
Lawrence

IP Logged

lazfire
Donor Member

If you see a deer, shoot
it.

Re: Woodhill Block 2's biological reserve
Reply #1 - Jul 9th, 2018 at 11:03am
Print Post  
Hi all,

Just a quick report about Block 2 as my wife and I hunted it yesterday. Firstly we saw a very large mature doe crossing the road, which was a shame as this was the only deer we saw yesterday.

We had a look at the larger biological reserve, its a big circular cone effectively towering above the surrounding pines, all kanuka and tee tree with a number of clearings down lower that can be accessed by side tracks. The openness and visibility is very good so we concentrated at a level of height where we could see the edge of kanuka/pines. Down lower of course were some swampy areas full of prints, and also many prints on the cone higher where animals appear to be going up into the biological reserve.

There are a number of straights of sandy tracks as well with a lot of sign that the animals are crossing. So after having spent a lot of effort quietly stalking around, we decided to focus last lights on the straights.

The ranger said that block 2 is quite hard but in a few more years time they think that it will be a lot better as the pines will be thinned and they foresee that the place has a lot of potential.

Although for now I am of the opinion that it is a block where deer are in transit, given the lack of deer droppings and more prints, it seems more like a highway at the moment.

Cheers,
Lawrence and Miranda

Kind regards,
Lawrence

IP Logged

Bushwackker
Just Joined

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Woodhill Block 2's biological reserve
Reply #2 - Jul 14th, 2018 at 9:56am
Print Post  
Nice write up there... got block two in months time if anyone has an up to date map or more info on block two please PM much appreciated cheers

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards