Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) Deer hoist (Read 4320 times)
SF90
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Deer hoist
Jun 25th, 2018 at 5:15pm
Print Post  
Looked up the archives and couldn't see any discussion - so, do any of you ladies use a hoist out in the bush ?
Reason I ask is the last few deer I butchered I had trouble getting them off the ground - same with a sheep I butchered last week.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Re: Deer hoist
Reply #1 - Jun 25th, 2018 at 6:52pm
Print Post  
mate...I do them on the ground in the bush...as for sheep at home Grin Grinafter dropping one of our wee housemuttons with 3 of us on the end of rope through a double double hoist set up,no longer bugger around and tie rope to bullbar on front of terrano and quietly reverse back while watching carefully..... the young fella at butcher shop coundnt lift carcass...they only 50 kgs dressed Shocked Shocked

IP Logged

sako
Forum Font

Reply #2 - Jun 25th, 2018 at 6:53pm
Print Post  
Using small sailing winches. Brilliant.

IP Logged

Rugerman
Donor Member

Bow Wow

Reply #3 - Jun 25th, 2018 at 7:31pm
Print Post  
I use a 3:1 rope block to lift my bleaters.
Heck MD those sound like big sheep. 100kg live weight since sheep normally dress out at about 50%  Shocked

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #4 - Jun 25th, 2018 at 7:39pm
Print Post  
Micky Duck wrote on Jun 25th, 2018 at 6:52pm:
mate...I do them on the ground in the bush...as for sheep at home Grin Grinafter dropping one of our wee housemuttons with 3 of us on the end of rope through a double double hoist set up,no longer bugger around and tie rope to bullbar on front of terrano and quietly reverse back while watching carefully..... the young fella at butcher shop coundnt lift carcass...they only 50 kgs dressed Shocked Shocked

I'm talking about in the bush mostly - am bloody awful working on the ground for anything other than field dressing - always yanked them up a tree for skinning and boning - and now I got old I just can't do it.
The sheep the other day was a big bugger and it took me, my son and my missus to get it up - and even then I had to work off my knees.

Can't carry a whole carcass anymore either, unless it's a little one - fallow or goat.

Funny thing is I've been blowing money left, right and center to get rid of bulk and weight - even taken on board Creed's food ideas - and now it looks like I'll have to add stuff to keep doing it - catch 22.

Been looking at those double pulley hoists on TM - cheap enough - just wondered if anyone was using them.

And - how do you anchor a boat winch ?

IP Logged

beretta all the way

Reply #5 - Jun 25th, 2018 at 7:47pm
Print Post  
Climbing micro pulleys be the way to go I reckon
Reasonably light weight more than strong enough and then a few meters of rope just long enough for what ya need.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #6 - Jun 25th, 2018 at 9:46pm
Print Post  
Rugerman...these were our bottle fed pets 6 years ago and been on really good tucker for last 12 mths...the first one we did was a real effort to get into rear of terrano...Mrs climbed in boot and pulled like hell on rear leg and I got down and sort of rolled the plurry thing in one end at a time Shocked nearly blew me fufu valve out doing it Angry
these last 2 I got butcher to do 8 roasts from hind quarters and "all the rest into chops" Grin Grin Grin plurry AWESOME tucker cooked "Uncle George style"

never done deer up in air till my Bro showed me it one day...sure makes it easy.....even breaking it into quarters and hanging then on simple larkshead noose makes life easy,the back and eye steaks easy enough to take out on ground....you dont need much more than a bootlace to do it like that.

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #7 - Jun 25th, 2018 at 10:00pm
Print Post  
beretta all the way wrote on Jun 25th, 2018 at 7:47pm:
Climbing micro pulleys be the way to go I reckon
Reasonably light weight more than strong enough and then a few meters of rope just long enough for what ya need.

Will look into those - but what I have just done is grab some old pulleys out the garage - two singles and a double and rigged them up with soft braided 8mm rope.
Bit ugly - then I tied them to the pole behind my upstairs bannister and let the bottom pulley down. Tied a 'T' bar bit of kindling to that and was able to haul my 55 kg son up hanging off the bar..
He was also able to do that with me - 65 kg.
Then my wife wanted to be hauled up - and it took two of us to do that as she's roughly equivalent to a good size stag - and I told her that and promptly wished I hadn't.

The rope was hard on your hands, so a 'T' bar on the end would make it easier.
I wouldn't say it was easy, but it's doable.

Better pulleys would probably work better - and a harder rope as the one I had was stretchy and too soft- I think.

Yeah - something to work on - and I better practice my climbing because last time I did that I fell out of a tree retrieving fishing flies.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #8 - Jun 25th, 2018 at 10:07pm
Print Post  
a terrano makes it easier still Grin Grin

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #9 - Jun 25th, 2018 at 10:10pm
Print Post  
Micky Duck wrote on Jun 25th, 2018 at 9:46pm:
never done deer up in air till my Bro showed me it one day...sure makes it easy.....even breaking it into quarters and hanging then on simple larkshead noose makes life easy,the back and eye steaks easy enough to take out on ground....you dont need much more than a bootlace to do it like that.

So easy up in the air mate, no bending and you can move all the way around making your cuts. And, you can use your weight yanking the skin off and pealing meat if you want the bone out of your hindquarters.
And I'm no great butcher - still get screwed with the innies and outies of those back leg bones - and the pelvis.

And sometimes I just forget how I did it last time.

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #10 - Jun 25th, 2018 at 10:14pm
Print Post  
Micky Duck wrote on Jun 25th, 2018 at 10:07pm:
a terrano makes it easier still Grin Grin

Yeah - had 14 bobby calves to skin for a project and towed the skins of with my mates Landy.
But there ain't no Landy, nor Terrano up the hill - nor deer going on the last two times.

Living in hope mate  Undecided

IP Logged

ICEMAN
Forum Font

Reply #11 - Jun 25th, 2018 at 10:17pm
Print Post  
SF90 wrote on Jun 25th, 2018 at 5:15pm:
Looked up the archives and couldn't see any discussion - so, do any of you ladies use a hoist out in the bush ?
Reason I ask is the last few deer I butchered I had trouble getting them off the ground - same with a sheep I butchered last week.

A simple single rope two pully system halves the lifted weight, ie 2 to 1.    if you use two small double pullies its  a mechanical advantage of 4 to 1

too much pissing about to show you a picture, this site needs a simple way to copy and paste pictures etc

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #12 - Jun 25th, 2018 at 11:13pm
Print Post  
ICEMAN wrote on Jun 25th, 2018 at 10:17pm:
A simple single rope two pully system halves the lifted weight, ie 2 to 1.    if you use two small double pullies its  a mechanical advantage of 4 to 1

too much pissing about to show you a picture, this site needs a simple way to copy and paste pictures etc

Beat you to it Ice - looked up Wikipedia to see how to rope them.
The pulley's I rigged a couple of hours ago were old and pretty shabby and I reckon I got some better ones stashed in there - just gotta find them.
I could haul my son up okay with them - and with a shitty braided and cored rope - so it will work.
Just got to keep the weight down as it'll be carried a hell of a lot more than it'll ever be used.
Be handy in the garage too for lifting heavy-ish bits - should have made one years ago - but then I had a chain hoist right up until some bugger flogged it, and my jacks, and most of my tools.

IP Logged

Sneaka

I love short range hunting

Reply #13 - Jun 26th, 2018 at 7:25am
Print Post  
Other option is to go to a wreckers and get a seat belt system, you tie it up and then lift the deer bit by bit and it wont drop back down on you. Works a treat and stuff all to carry. If you have a permanent bush camp you can leave it up the tree and no one will know its there.

IP Logged

erniec
Donor Member

Reply #14 - Jun 26th, 2018 at 8:29am
Print Post  
Same here.sako wrote on Jun 25th, 2018 at 6:53pm:
Using small sailing winches. Brilliant.

IP Logged

bufferzone
Donor Member

Reply #15 - Jun 26th, 2018 at 9:39am
Print Post  
always cleaner if you can break them down whilst there hangin, i reckon

IP Logged

ICEMAN
Forum Font

Reply #16 - Jun 26th, 2018 at 10:13am
Print Post  
SF90 wrote on Jun 25th, 2018 at 11:13pm:
ICEMAN wrote on Jun 25th, 2018 at 10:17pm:

Beat you to it Ice - looked up Wikipedia to see how to rope them.
The pulley's I rigged a couple of hours ago were old and pretty shabby and I reckon I got some better ones stashed in there - just gotta find them.
I could haul my son up okay with them - and with a shitty braided and cored rope - so it will work.
Just got to keep the weight down as it'll be carried a hell of a lot more than it'll ever be used.
Be handy in the garage too for lifting heavy-ish bits - should have made one years ago - but then I had a chain hoist right up until some bugger flogged it, and my jacks, and most of my tools.

Spent much of my life using blocks and pullys mostly off a usually pitching and rolling deck. lol

For about $60 you can get one already to go from reloaders or Hunting and fishing

https://www.reloaders.co.nz/shop/Accessories/Hunting+Kit/Mossy+Oak+Deer+Hoist+%2...

IP Logged

tararua60
Just Joined

Reply #17 - Jun 26th, 2018 at 10:30am
Print Post  
Try and stay away from nylon type ropes - once a bit of fat gets on your hands it becomes a greasy as a butchers &*%$
the old sisal type is a good one

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #18 - Jun 26th, 2018 at 11:19am
Print Post  
ICEMAN wrote on Jun 26th, 2018 at 10:13am:
For about $60 you can get one already to go from reloaders or Hunting and fishing

https://www.reloaders.co.nz/shop/Accessories/Hunting+Kit/Mossy+Oak+Deer+Hoist+%2....

Yeah - they got them on TM too, a bit cheaper though.
Went into town this morning and looked at that one plus another type without the gambrel, but they felt a bit heavy and looked bulky.
Got home and fished a couple of smallish double ones out the garage, but decided to try the two singles first to reduce rope length, then struggled to get my daughter off the ground.
Couldn't find my Donaghy's rope, so rigged the doubles up with the braided cord and got her up with a bit of effort.
Weighed it all and it came out to 557 gms.

I think it would run easier with harder cordage, that soft stuff squishes into the rollers and must create some drag.

Anyway - that's where I'm at now, will keep an eye out for smaller pulleys and find out where my missus buried my rope.

And I did look at a small ratchet load tensioner, but just too bulky.

IP Logged

JoshC
Forum Font

Reply #19 - Jun 26th, 2018 at 1:34pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #20 - Jun 26th, 2018 at 2:41pm
Print Post  
JoshC wrote on Jun 26th, 2018 at 1:34pm:

I do like that one - the bearings in the rollers would help, don't know whats in mine - just wheel on shaft I imagine.
Wonder what it weighs, mine appear similar size and are cast something or other, certainly not aluminium.

Will keep an eye out for smaller ones - looked on TM but they're pretty pricey and didn't see anything really suitable. Nice S/S ones there - but small rollers and look heavy.
And I got quite a lot of parachute cord here - use it a lot, be hard on the hands though.
Shit - might try it just the same.

IP Logged

gonehuntin
Forum Font

Reply #21 - Jun 26th, 2018 at 5:36pm
Print Post  
I just use 2 double pulleys for hanging pigs and sheep and only ocassional deer as most I get I just take the back wheels and backsteak

IP Logged

ICEMAN
Forum Font

Reply #22 - Jun 26th, 2018 at 10:37pm
Print Post  
gonehuntin wrote on Jun 26th, 2018 at 5:36pm:
I just use 2 double pulleys for hanging pigs and sheep and only ocassional deer as most I get I just take the back wheels and backsteak

yep, the best system mate.

if  you use 2 double pulleys correctly its a 4-1 ratio, shit my 6 yr old grandaughter could hoist 50kgs with one hand.  Grin Grin

IP Logged

JoshC
Forum Font

Reply #23 - Jun 27th, 2018 at 8:59am
Print Post  
SF90 wrote on Jun 26th, 2018 at 2:41pm:
JoshC wrote on Jun 26th, 2018 at 1:34pm:

I do like that one - the bearings in the rollers would help, don't know whats in mine - just wheel on shaft I imagine.
Wonder what it weighs, mine appear similar size and are cast something or other, certainly not aluminium.

Will keep an eye out for smaller ones - looked on TM but they're pretty pricey and didn't see anything really suitable. Nice S/S ones there - but small rollers and look heavy.
And I got quite a lot of parachute cord here - use it a lot, be hard on the hands though.
Shit - might try it just the same.

I don't have one but know a couple of guys that do and it's small and lightweight but bloody good.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #24 - Jun 27th, 2018 at 6:22pm
Print Post  
ICEMAN wrote on Jun 26th, 2018 at 10:37pm:

if  you use 2 double pulleys correctly its a 4-1 ratio, shit my 6 yr old grandaughter could hoist 50kgs with one hand.  Grin Grin

Ive got 2x double rollers in my garage and 3 of us could JUST lift one of our big sheep....normally I can do it on my own.....thus why I now cheat and use terrano to get it up till Ive skinned it and got rid of poohs n wees bits.

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #25 - Jun 27th, 2018 at 8:37pm
Print Post  
Micky Duck wrote on Jun 27th, 2018 at 6:22pm:

Ive got 2x double rollers in my garage and 3 of us could JUST lift one of our big sheep....normally I can do it on my own.....thus why I now cheat and use terrano to get it up till Ive skinned it and got rid of poohs n wees bits.

Went a bit silly today - rigged my two doubles and hung them off a tree branch with a 'T' bar for my missus to hang of, then I tied a single sheave pulley to the base of the tree and threaded the rope through that so I could pull at an upward angle.
Could lift her easy, then I wanted to shove her on the bathroom scales - and that's when I lost my portable weight.
Quite a lot of rope involved there which adds to bulk, so probably not something you want to shove in your pack.

I did the maths after a bit more reading and that 140lb dressed deer will require 35lb of effort to get up with the two double pulleys, but if you were to use the extra pulley at ground level, the effort needed is only 23lb.
Even at that weight the rope chews your hands a bit, so a loop on the end you can shove a branch through helps a lot.

So - after the missus got shitty I ground the sheave pins and hammered them out of the housings and removed the rollers and they did run straight on the pin - and the pins were stuffed, chewed halfway through.
So I bored them out and whacked in some sealed bearings and tomorrow I'll make the housing out of some 1/16" plate and pin or bolt it together with spacers top and bottom to see if I can get rid of some weight - and to reduce size.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #26 - Jun 27th, 2018 at 10:26pm
Print Post  
you can get a bit of lift on steep slope (where most of my deer are shot Angry) you can push deer to top side of tree and tie leg to branch then flop deer around to low side and it will "hang itself"....

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #27 - Jun 27th, 2018 at 11:34pm
Print Post  
Thing is - you're about where I was 26 years ago, could do all sorts of stuff then - now I can't.
Hell - I popped a rib just reaching for a garden rake a couple of years ago.
If it was me and my son we would likely handle one, but I'm sick of him not being able to go because mum has got him booked for this and that - so I'm talking about dealing with it on my own.

And - it's only just struck me - I doubt I could carry a full boned out deer anyway.
A couple of years back I weighed 20kg of sand into a plastic bag in my pack - and got the shock of my life when I hoisted it on my back - it was bloody heavy.
I took that bag to the bottom of the steepest hill around here - 300 meters up, with no flat bits. Took me ages to get to the top - and to get down, and when I got home I re-weighed that bag - 7kgs.
Turfed out handfuls all the way up that hill.

Don't know what I'm carrying now - bit more than that, haven't weighed it - but I haven't been up that hill since.
Did spend four days over Easter walking the Urewera's though - light loads and lots of rests - and had no real trouble, but it was soft country.

Yeah mate - ain't what I used to be, so I'm having to think of ways I can get around doing things.

IP Logged

ICEMAN
Forum Font

Reply #28 - Jun 29th, 2018 at 9:56pm
Print Post  
SF90 wrote on Jun 27th, 2018 at 8:37pm:
Micky Duck wrote on Jun 27th, 2018 at 6:22pm:

Went a bit silly today - rigged my two doubles and hung them off a tree branch with a 'T' bar for my missus to hang of, then I tied a single sheave pulley to the base of the tree and threaded the rope through that so I could pull at an upward angle.
Could lift her easy, then I wanted to shove her on the bathroom scales - and that's when I lost my portable weight.
Quite a lot of rope involved there which adds to bulk, so probably not something you want to shove in your pack.

I did the maths after a bit more reading and that 140lb dressed deer will require 35lb of effort to get up with the two double pulleys, but if you were to use the extra pulley at ground level, the effort needed is only 23lb.
Even at that weight the rope chews your hands a bit, so a loop on the end you can shove a branch through helps a lot.

So - after the missus got shitty I ground the sheave pins and hammered them out of the housings and removed the rollers and they did run straight on the pin - and the pins were stuffed, chewed halfway through.
So I bored them out and whacked in some sealed bearings and tomorrow I'll make the housing out of some 1/16" plate and pin or bolt it together with spacers top and bottom to see if I can get rid of some weight - and to reduce size.

17kgs is not a huge amount of effort really mate, most back packs probably way about that much, and most of us could probably lift that onto our backs.

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #29 - Jun 30th, 2018 at 11:15am
Print Post  
ICEMAN wrote on Jun 29th, 2018 at 9:56pm:
17kgs is not a huge amount of effort really mate, most back packs probably way about that much, and most of us could probably lift that onto our backs.

Yeah, I know - I think I've got really weak - my wife says I have.
Can push a mower around okay and can still handsaw and split wood, but when it comes to lifting stuff is when I notice it - everything is heavier than it used to be.
Wouldn't think so looking at me - I still have the appearance of a superb male specimen - and I spend enough time in front of the mirror to say that with some honesty.

Maybe it's all in my head - or maybe it all turned to custard when my tits sagged.

And edit ....
Disregarding my nonsense, you're dead right there Ice, 35lb isn't that much - certainly a whole lot better than throwing a rope over a branch and hauling a whole carcass. The friction on the rope dragging over that branch must be considerable - but that's how we used to do it.
I just like to play with stuff, tried all sorts of configurations and was surprised how that extra little pulley at the bottom eased the effort - so much so I just might throw it in the bag.
I went down to a hard twist 4mm rope and that really reduced the bulk a lot.
The thing too - is rope is always handy around a camp, so that 30 feet of pulley rope can serve double purpose.

IP Logged

ICEMAN
Forum Font

Reply #30 - Jul 1st, 2018 at 4:42pm
Print Post  
SF90 wrote on Jun 30th, 2018 at 11:15am:
ICEMAN wrote on Jun 29th, 2018 at 9:56pm:

Yeah, I know - I think I've got really weak - my wife says I have.
Can push a mower around okay and can still handsaw and split wood, but when it comes to lifting stuff is when I notice it - everything is heavier than it used to be.
Wouldn't think so looking at me - I still have the appearance of a superb male specimen - and I spend enough time in front of the mirror to say that with some honesty.

Maybe it's all in my head - or maybe it all turned to custard when my tits sagged.

And edit ....
Disregarding my nonsense, you're dead right there Ice, 35lb isn't that much - certainly a whole lot better than throwing a rope over a branch and hauling a whole carcass. The friction on the rope dragging over that branch must be considerable - but that's how we used to do it.
I just like to play with stuff, tried all sorts of configurations and was surprised how that extra little pulley at the bottom eased the effort - so much so I just might throw it in the bag.
I went down to a hard twist 4mm rope and that really reduced the bulk a lot.
The thing too - is rope is always handy around a camp, so that 30 feet of pulley rope can serve double purpose.

Grin Grin   and yes that small bottom pulley allows us to use our larger leg muscles rather than just pulling down the rope, mind you being a big fat bastard makes that a lot easier. bwahahaha.

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #31 - Jul 1st, 2018 at 8:25pm
Print Post  
ICEMAN wrote on Jul 1st, 2018 at 4:42pm:
Grin Grin   and yes that small bottom pulley allows us to use our larger leg muscles rather than just pulling down the rope, mind you being a big fat bastard makes that a lot easier. bwahahaha.

Oh - I'm a staggeringly trim 65kg - been about that for the past fifty years.
The missus prefers the term 'weedy'.

The heaviest I ever got was 12 stone and never really figured that as I was about as fit as I'd ever been - did it on vegetables too, no meat.

Wonder if that says something - like, is plankton a vegetable, are whales vegetarians ?

Not saying anything - just wondering.

Oh shit, you're not a whale - are ya ?

IP Logged

ICEMAN
Forum Font

Reply #32 - Jul 2nd, 2018 at 12:48pm
Print Post  
SF90 wrote on Jul 1st, 2018 at 8:25pm:
ICEMAN wrote on Jul 1st, 2018 at 4:42pm:

Oh - I'm a staggeringly trim 65kg - been about that for the past fifty years.
The missus prefers the term 'weedy'.

The heaviest I ever got was 12 stone and never really figured that as I was about as fit as I'd ever been - did it on vegetables too, no meat.

Wonder if that says something - like, is plankton a vegetable, are whales vegetarians ?

Not saying anything - just wondering.

Oh shit, you're not a whale - are ya ?

Nah, getting close though.
I am another 50% of your weight mate (97.5kgs), have been that way for about the last 35yrs, in my fighting years I was another 25% of your current weight (81.25kgs). Grin  But I used to hunt in my slippers as well.

IP Logged

X-POACHER-YEAH RYT
Donor Member

Have you ever hunted Middle
Earth?

Reply #33 - Jul 2nd, 2018 at 3:12pm
Print Post  
Look at that deer's eye's !   Shocked .... It died of fright.  Grin

Get as close as you can, then get a bit closer.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #34 - Jul 2nd, 2018 at 5:39pm
Print Post  
bring the term "hunting in the raw" to a whole new level..... not sure if stag died od fright or was just laying down in submission???? the compass around neck is a nice touch Grin Grin

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #35 - Jul 2nd, 2018 at 5:42pm
Print Post  
Bloody hell Ice - you could pop me up your bum and wouldn't know I was there.
Not only that - I finished the new frames on my pulleys, have got them right here in front of me, and they suddenly don't look too substantial, not like they did 2 minutes ago.
Shit !

I do suspect that is a bloody old photo, and probably photo shopped to hell and gone - you ain't no racing sardine like what I am - used to be.
Ha - just learned how to do that.

And no - I got no desire to be 'popped up your bum'.

IP Logged

ICEMAN
Forum Font

Reply #36 - Jul 2nd, 2018 at 7:06pm
Print Post  
SF90 wrote on Jul 2nd, 2018 at 5:42pm:
Bloody hell Ice - you could pop me up your bum and wouldn't know I was there.
Not only that - I finished the new frames on my pulleys, have got them right here in front of me, and they suddenly don't look too substantial, not like they did 2 minutes ago.
Shit !

I do suspect that is a bloody old photo, and probably photo shopped to hell and gone - you ain't no racing sardine like what I am - used to be.
Ha - just learned how to do that.

And no - I got no desire to be 'popped up your bum'.

Lol, nah its not that old, well within the last 7-8 yrs anyways, not photo shopped, taken just as it was, this silly bloody stag came right up to my camp, you can see my back pack or sleeping bag  reflecting in the background. Grin

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #37 - Jul 2nd, 2018 at 7:56pm
Print Post  
Shame I wasn't there - you could have borrowed my hoist.

You're looking good mate, like your grundies too - the ones I'm wearing right now are blue with little yellow 'Spongebob's' all over them - just looked.

Wonder what the old Poacher is wearing ?

IP Logged

X-POACHER-YEAH RYT
Donor Member

Have you ever hunted Middle
Earth?

Reply #38 - Jul 2nd, 2018 at 10:02pm
Print Post  
Well , for my age.   Grin

Get as close as you can, then get a bit closer.

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #39 - Jul 2nd, 2018 at 10:49pm
Print Post  
X-POACHER-YEAH RYT wrote on Jul 2nd, 2018 at 10:02pm:
Well , for my age.   Grin

ha, ha, ha - well done.

IP Logged

Patunui

Reply #40 - Jul 8th, 2018 at 7:40pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #41 - Jul 9th, 2018 at 11:11am
Print Post  
Patunui wrote on Jul 8th, 2018 at 7:40pm:

Yeah - they're all over the place when you get pointed in the right direction.
Am quite happy with mine though, cost nothing - just the rope and some time spent modifying them.
4mm polyprop rope cost $3.95 (I think) and all up it weighs 448 gms.
If I throw that extra pulley in total weight becomes 526 gms.
I actually could have made it a bit lighter if I'd thought a bit more - but didn't.
Yeah - it'll do the job.

IP Logged

lowbox
Forum Senior

Asleep on the couch

Reply #42 - Jul 15th, 2018 at 2:55pm
Print Post  
I got some tiny little doubled triple block pulleys from sailors corner and some dyneema rope must be about 5mm they weight nothing and are rated to 150kg or something stupid. Makes a hoist that can lift a deer easy. Just wrap the rope around a stick to haul the deer up as the rope is so thin!

IP Logged

Gerald
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #43 - Aug 1st, 2018 at 6:07am
Print Post  
As for me few climbing carabiners and robust rope are quite enough for the creation of proper pulleys system for the lifting of deer or something else. Carabiners and ropes are light and useful for many reasons.

IP Logged

bushrat

Reply #44 - Aug 1st, 2018 at 9:25pm
Print Post  
Great thread going here ! Never like carrying any extra gear but dealing with a deer after you get one can take some  serious real effort . Check this chain link hoist idea out !!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4krSGkLXu4&t=48s
   Guuna have a go myself looks perfect, light simple and cheap.

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #45 - Aug 2nd, 2018 at 8:43am
Print Post  
bushrat wrote on Aug 1st, 2018 at 9:25pm:
Great thread going here ! Never like carrying any extra gear but dealing with a deer after you get one can take some  serious real effort . Check this chain link hoist idea out !!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4krSGkLXu4&t=48s
  Guuna have a go myself looks perfect, light simple and cheap.

That was really cool - and probably all you'd need for out there.

Might struggle with a big one - bit of friction there as evidenced by him able to hold the line with two fingers once the jerry cans were up.

Bugga - might have to have a play with one.

IP Logged

DAD
Donor Member

AKA:Gav AKA:Dough Boy

Reply #46 - Aug 2nd, 2018 at 9:50pm
Print Post  
Two twin sailing boat pulleys (Wholesale and Industrial Supplies Hamilton), small about 20mm rollers, rated to 200kg and 10m of Para Cord (Trade Me) rated to 600kg, never looked back, helps keep the meat clean, use the remaining cord for a meaty clothes line.

The only things i really need is water, a gun and rabbits.

IP Logged

Stuffedknees50
Just Joined

Reply #47 - Sep 6th, 2018 at 8:54am
Print Post  
5yrs ago made a lifting system out of a double & triple sailing pulley and 10m of 3-4mm braided curtain cord (breaking strength of about 170kg). Have used it for about 20 animals and works great. Main problem in the South is the Beech trees and finding a suitable and reachable branch - total weight including bag to store is 299gms.
Just made a version of the Skin It Rite (www.skinitrite.com)
Had a couple of times where the animal managed to come off the gambel and it was close call with the knife.
The version we made uses curtain cord again and all up weighs 90gms. Have used aluminum pipe for initial version as thinking that weight should be through cord and pipe is simply a spacer. Yet to be tested. Smiley

IP Logged

Gibson
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #48 - Sep 8th, 2018 at 12:01am
Print Post  
Bit of a case by case basis for me personally - depending on deer size, if hunting with a mate to help with a lift, or if there are trees around. Prefer to hang if can, but not always able to. Sometimes legs are just hung seperately and delt with individually. Always carry parachord, and have a few handy knots up my sleeve. Adding a winch of any sort to my daypack in the back country is just not practical - considering more important things like epirbs, first aid kits, torches and other crap that take up precious space and weight - just my experience  Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards