Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) Deer hoist (Read 4923 times)
bufferzone
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Deer hoist
Reply #15 - Jun 26th, 2018 at 9:39am
Print Post  
always cleaner if you can break them down whilst there hangin, i reckon

IP Logged

ICEMAN
Forum Font

Reply #16 - Jun 26th, 2018 at 10:13am
Print Post  
SF90 wrote on Jun 25th, 2018 at 11:13pm:
ICEMAN wrote on Jun 25th, 2018 at 10:17pm:
A simple single rope two pully system halves the lifted weight, ie 2 to 1.    if you use two small double pullies its  a mechanical advantage of 4 to 1

too much pissing about to show you a picture, this site needs a simple way to copy and paste pictures etc

Beat you to it Ice - looked up Wikipedia to see how to rope them.
The pulley's I rigged a couple of hours ago were old and pretty shabby and I reckon I got some better ones stashed in there - just gotta find them.
I could haul my son up okay with them - and with a shitty braided and cored rope - so it will work.
Just got to keep the weight down as it'll be carried a hell of a lot more than it'll ever be used.
Be handy in the garage too for lifting heavy-ish bits - should have made one years ago - but then I had a chain hoist right up until some bugger flogged it, and my jacks, and most of my tools.

Spent much of my life using blocks and pullys mostly off a usually pitching and rolling deck. lol

For about $60 you can get one already to go from reloaders or Hunting and fishing

https://www.reloaders.co.nz/shop/Accessories/Hunting+Kit/Mossy+Oak+Deer+Hoist+%2...

IP Logged

tararua60
Just Joined

Reply #17 - Jun 26th, 2018 at 10:30am
Print Post  
Try and stay away from nylon type ropes - once a bit of fat gets on your hands it becomes a greasy as a butchers &*%$
the old sisal type is a good one

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #18 - Jun 26th, 2018 at 11:19am
Print Post  
ICEMAN wrote on Jun 26th, 2018 at 10:13am:
For about $60 you can get one already to go from reloaders or Hunting and fishing

https://www.reloaders.co.nz/shop/Accessories/Hunting+Kit/Mossy+Oak+Deer+Hoist+%2....

Yeah - they got them on TM too, a bit cheaper though.
Went into town this morning and looked at that one plus another type without the gambrel, but they felt a bit heavy and looked bulky.
Got home and fished a couple of smallish double ones out the garage, but decided to try the two singles first to reduce rope length, then struggled to get my daughter off the ground.
Couldn't find my Donaghy's rope, so rigged the doubles up with the braided cord and got her up with a bit of effort.
Weighed it all and it came out to 557 gms.

I think it would run easier with harder cordage, that soft stuff squishes into the rollers and must create some drag.

Anyway - that's where I'm at now, will keep an eye out for smaller pulleys and find out where my missus buried my rope.

And I did look at a small ratchet load tensioner, but just too bulky.

IP Logged

JoshC
Forum Font

Reply #19 - Jun 26th, 2018 at 1:34pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #20 - Jun 26th, 2018 at 2:41pm
Print Post  
JoshC wrote on Jun 26th, 2018 at 1:34pm:

I do like that one - the bearings in the rollers would help, don't know whats in mine - just wheel on shaft I imagine.
Wonder what it weighs, mine appear similar size and are cast something or other, certainly not aluminium.

Will keep an eye out for smaller ones - looked on TM but they're pretty pricey and didn't see anything really suitable. Nice S/S ones there - but small rollers and look heavy.
And I got quite a lot of parachute cord here - use it a lot, be hard on the hands though.
Shit - might try it just the same.

IP Logged

gonehuntin
Forum Font

Reply #21 - Jun 26th, 2018 at 5:36pm
Print Post  
I just use 2 double pulleys for hanging pigs and sheep and only ocassional deer as most I get I just take the back wheels and backsteak

IP Logged

ICEMAN
Forum Font

Reply #22 - Jun 26th, 2018 at 10:37pm
Print Post  
gonehuntin wrote on Jun 26th, 2018 at 5:36pm:
I just use 2 double pulleys for hanging pigs and sheep and only ocassional deer as most I get I just take the back wheels and backsteak

yep, the best system mate.

if  you use 2 double pulleys correctly its a 4-1 ratio, shit my 6 yr old grandaughter could hoist 50kgs with one hand.  Grin Grin

IP Logged

JoshC
Forum Font

Reply #23 - Jun 27th, 2018 at 8:59am
Print Post  
SF90 wrote on Jun 26th, 2018 at 2:41pm:
JoshC wrote on Jun 26th, 2018 at 1:34pm:

I do like that one - the bearings in the rollers would help, don't know whats in mine - just wheel on shaft I imagine.
Wonder what it weighs, mine appear similar size and are cast something or other, certainly not aluminium.

Will keep an eye out for smaller ones - looked on TM but they're pretty pricey and didn't see anything really suitable. Nice S/S ones there - but small rollers and look heavy.
And I got quite a lot of parachute cord here - use it a lot, be hard on the hands though.
Shit - might try it just the same.

I don't have one but know a couple of guys that do and it's small and lightweight but bloody good.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #24 - Jun 27th, 2018 at 6:22pm
Print Post  
ICEMAN wrote on Jun 26th, 2018 at 10:37pm:

if  you use 2 double pulleys correctly its a 4-1 ratio, shit my 6 yr old grandaughter could hoist 50kgs with one hand.  Grin Grin

Ive got 2x double rollers in my garage and 3 of us could JUST lift one of our big sheep....normally I can do it on my own.....thus why I now cheat and use terrano to get it up till Ive skinned it and got rid of poohs n wees bits.

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #25 - Jun 27th, 2018 at 8:37pm
Print Post  
Micky Duck wrote on Jun 27th, 2018 at 6:22pm:

Ive got 2x double rollers in my garage and 3 of us could JUST lift one of our big sheep....normally I can do it on my own.....thus why I now cheat and use terrano to get it up till Ive skinned it and got rid of poohs n wees bits.

Went a bit silly today - rigged my two doubles and hung them off a tree branch with a 'T' bar for my missus to hang of, then I tied a single sheave pulley to the base of the tree and threaded the rope through that so I could pull at an upward angle.
Could lift her easy, then I wanted to shove her on the bathroom scales - and that's when I lost my portable weight.
Quite a lot of rope involved there which adds to bulk, so probably not something you want to shove in your pack.

I did the maths after a bit more reading and that 140lb dressed deer will require 35lb of effort to get up with the two double pulleys, but if you were to use the extra pulley at ground level, the effort needed is only 23lb.
Even at that weight the rope chews your hands a bit, so a loop on the end you can shove a branch through helps a lot.

So - after the missus got shitty I ground the sheave pins and hammered them out of the housings and removed the rollers and they did run straight on the pin - and the pins were stuffed, chewed halfway through.
So I bored them out and whacked in some sealed bearings and tomorrow I'll make the housing out of some 1/16" plate and pin or bolt it together with spacers top and bottom to see if I can get rid of some weight - and to reduce size.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #26 - Jun 27th, 2018 at 10:26pm
Print Post  
you can get a bit of lift on steep slope (where most of my deer are shot Angry) you can push deer to top side of tree and tie leg to branch then flop deer around to low side and it will "hang itself"....

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #27 - Jun 27th, 2018 at 11:34pm
Print Post  
Thing is - you're about where I was 26 years ago, could do all sorts of stuff then - now I can't.
Hell - I popped a rib just reaching for a garden rake a couple of years ago.
If it was me and my son we would likely handle one, but I'm sick of him not being able to go because mum has got him booked for this and that - so I'm talking about dealing with it on my own.

And - it's only just struck me - I doubt I could carry a full boned out deer anyway.
A couple of years back I weighed 20kg of sand into a plastic bag in my pack - and got the shock of my life when I hoisted it on my back - it was bloody heavy.
I took that bag to the bottom of the steepest hill around here - 300 meters up, with no flat bits. Took me ages to get to the top - and to get down, and when I got home I re-weighed that bag - 7kgs.
Turfed out handfuls all the way up that hill.

Don't know what I'm carrying now - bit more than that, haven't weighed it - but I haven't been up that hill since.
Did spend four days over Easter walking the Urewera's though - light loads and lots of rests - and had no real trouble, but it was soft country.

Yeah mate - ain't what I used to be, so I'm having to think of ways I can get around doing things.

IP Logged

ICEMAN
Forum Font

Reply #28 - Jun 29th, 2018 at 9:56pm
Print Post  
SF90 wrote on Jun 27th, 2018 at 8:37pm:
Micky Duck wrote on Jun 27th, 2018 at 6:22pm:

Went a bit silly today - rigged my two doubles and hung them off a tree branch with a 'T' bar for my missus to hang of, then I tied a single sheave pulley to the base of the tree and threaded the rope through that so I could pull at an upward angle.
Could lift her easy, then I wanted to shove her on the bathroom scales - and that's when I lost my portable weight.
Quite a lot of rope involved there which adds to bulk, so probably not something you want to shove in your pack.

I did the maths after a bit more reading and that 140lb dressed deer will require 35lb of effort to get up with the two double pulleys, but if you were to use the extra pulley at ground level, the effort needed is only 23lb.
Even at that weight the rope chews your hands a bit, so a loop on the end you can shove a branch through helps a lot.

So - after the missus got shitty I ground the sheave pins and hammered them out of the housings and removed the rollers and they did run straight on the pin - and the pins were stuffed, chewed halfway through.
So I bored them out and whacked in some sealed bearings and tomorrow I'll make the housing out of some 1/16" plate and pin or bolt it together with spacers top and bottom to see if I can get rid of some weight - and to reduce size.

17kgs is not a huge amount of effort really mate, most back packs probably way about that much, and most of us could probably lift that onto our backs.

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #29 - Jun 30th, 2018 at 11:15am
Print Post  
ICEMAN wrote on Jun 29th, 2018 at 9:56pm:
17kgs is not a huge amount of effort really mate, most back packs probably way about that much, and most of us could probably lift that onto our backs.

Yeah, I know - I think I've got really weak - my wife says I have.
Can push a mower around okay and can still handsaw and split wood, but when it comes to lifting stuff is when I notice it - everything is heavier than it used to be.
Wouldn't think so looking at me - I still have the appearance of a superb male specimen - and I spend enough time in front of the mirror to say that with some honesty.

Maybe it's all in my head - or maybe it all turned to custard when my tits sagged.

And edit ....
Disregarding my nonsense, you're dead right there Ice, 35lb isn't that much - certainly a whole lot better than throwing a rope over a branch and hauling a whole carcass. The friction on the rope dragging over that branch must be considerable - but that's how we used to do it.
I just like to play with stuff, tried all sorts of configurations and was surprised how that extra little pulley at the bottom eased the effort - so much so I just might throw it in the bag.
I went down to a hard twist 4mm rope and that really reduced the bulk a lot.
The thing too - is rope is always handy around a camp, so that 30 feet of pulley rope can serve double purpose.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards