Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) Deer hoist (Read 4319 times)
SF90
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Deer hoist
Jun 25th, 2018 at 5:15pm
Print Post  
Looked up the archives and couldn't see any discussion - so, do any of you ladies use a hoist out in the bush ?
Reason I ask is the last few deer I butchered I had trouble getting them off the ground - same with a sheep I butchered last week.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Re: Deer hoist
Reply #1 - Jun 25th, 2018 at 6:52pm
Print Post  
mate...I do them on the ground in the bush...as for sheep at home Grin Grinafter dropping one of our wee housemuttons with 3 of us on the end of rope through a double double hoist set up,no longer bugger around and tie rope to bullbar on front of terrano and quietly reverse back while watching carefully..... the young fella at butcher shop coundnt lift carcass...they only 50 kgs dressed Shocked Shocked

IP Logged

sako
Forum Font

Reply #2 - Jun 25th, 2018 at 6:53pm
Print Post  
Using small sailing winches. Brilliant.

IP Logged

Rugerman
Donor Member

Bow Wow

Reply #3 - Jun 25th, 2018 at 7:31pm
Print Post  
I use a 3:1 rope block to lift my bleaters.
Heck MD those sound like big sheep. 100kg live weight since sheep normally dress out at about 50%  Shocked

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #4 - Jun 25th, 2018 at 7:39pm
Print Post  
Micky Duck wrote on Jun 25th, 2018 at 6:52pm:
mate...I do them on the ground in the bush...as for sheep at home Grin Grinafter dropping one of our wee housemuttons with 3 of us on the end of rope through a double double hoist set up,no longer bugger around and tie rope to bullbar on front of terrano and quietly reverse back while watching carefully..... the young fella at butcher shop coundnt lift carcass...they only 50 kgs dressed Shocked Shocked

I'm talking about in the bush mostly - am bloody awful working on the ground for anything other than field dressing - always yanked them up a tree for skinning and boning - and now I got old I just can't do it.
The sheep the other day was a big bugger and it took me, my son and my missus to get it up - and even then I had to work off my knees.

Can't carry a whole carcass anymore either, unless it's a little one - fallow or goat.

Funny thing is I've been blowing money left, right and center to get rid of bulk and weight - even taken on board Creed's food ideas - and now it looks like I'll have to add stuff to keep doing it - catch 22.

Been looking at those double pulley hoists on TM - cheap enough - just wondered if anyone was using them.

And - how do you anchor a boat winch ?

IP Logged

beretta all the way

Reply #5 - Jun 25th, 2018 at 7:47pm
Print Post  
Climbing micro pulleys be the way to go I reckon
Reasonably light weight more than strong enough and then a few meters of rope just long enough for what ya need.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #6 - Jun 25th, 2018 at 9:46pm
Print Post  
Rugerman...these were our bottle fed pets 6 years ago and been on really good tucker for last 12 mths...the first one we did was a real effort to get into rear of terrano...Mrs climbed in boot and pulled like hell on rear leg and I got down and sort of rolled the plurry thing in one end at a time Shocked nearly blew me fufu valve out doing it Angry
these last 2 I got butcher to do 8 roasts from hind quarters and "all the rest into chops" Grin Grin Grin plurry AWESOME tucker cooked "Uncle George style"

never done deer up in air till my Bro showed me it one day...sure makes it easy.....even breaking it into quarters and hanging then on simple larkshead noose makes life easy,the back and eye steaks easy enough to take out on ground....you dont need much more than a bootlace to do it like that.

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #7 - Jun 25th, 2018 at 10:00pm
Print Post  
beretta all the way wrote on Jun 25th, 2018 at 7:47pm:
Climbing micro pulleys be the way to go I reckon
Reasonably light weight more than strong enough and then a few meters of rope just long enough for what ya need.

Will look into those - but what I have just done is grab some old pulleys out the garage - two singles and a double and rigged them up with soft braided 8mm rope.
Bit ugly - then I tied them to the pole behind my upstairs bannister and let the bottom pulley down. Tied a 'T' bar bit of kindling to that and was able to haul my 55 kg son up hanging off the bar..
He was also able to do that with me - 65 kg.
Then my wife wanted to be hauled up - and it took two of us to do that as she's roughly equivalent to a good size stag - and I told her that and promptly wished I hadn't.

The rope was hard on your hands, so a 'T' bar on the end would make it easier.
I wouldn't say it was easy, but it's doable.

Better pulleys would probably work better - and a harder rope as the one I had was stretchy and too soft- I think.

Yeah - something to work on - and I better practice my climbing because last time I did that I fell out of a tree retrieving fishing flies.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #8 - Jun 25th, 2018 at 10:07pm
Print Post  
a terrano makes it easier still Grin Grin

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #9 - Jun 25th, 2018 at 10:10pm
Print Post  
Micky Duck wrote on Jun 25th, 2018 at 9:46pm:
never done deer up in air till my Bro showed me it one day...sure makes it easy.....even breaking it into quarters and hanging then on simple larkshead noose makes life easy,the back and eye steaks easy enough to take out on ground....you dont need much more than a bootlace to do it like that.

So easy up in the air mate, no bending and you can move all the way around making your cuts. And, you can use your weight yanking the skin off and pealing meat if you want the bone out of your hindquarters.
And I'm no great butcher - still get screwed with the innies and outies of those back leg bones - and the pelvis.

And sometimes I just forget how I did it last time.

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #10 - Jun 25th, 2018 at 10:14pm
Print Post  
Micky Duck wrote on Jun 25th, 2018 at 10:07pm:
a terrano makes it easier still Grin Grin

Yeah - had 14 bobby calves to skin for a project and towed the skins of with my mates Landy.
But there ain't no Landy, nor Terrano up the hill - nor deer going on the last two times.

Living in hope mate  Undecided

IP Logged

ICEMAN
Forum Font

Reply #11 - Jun 25th, 2018 at 10:17pm
Print Post  
SF90 wrote on Jun 25th, 2018 at 5:15pm:
Looked up the archives and couldn't see any discussion - so, do any of you ladies use a hoist out in the bush ?
Reason I ask is the last few deer I butchered I had trouble getting them off the ground - same with a sheep I butchered last week.

A simple single rope two pully system halves the lifted weight, ie 2 to 1.    if you use two small double pullies its  a mechanical advantage of 4 to 1

too much pissing about to show you a picture, this site needs a simple way to copy and paste pictures etc

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #12 - Jun 25th, 2018 at 11:13pm
Print Post  
ICEMAN wrote on Jun 25th, 2018 at 10:17pm:
A simple single rope two pully system halves the lifted weight, ie 2 to 1.    if you use two small double pullies its  a mechanical advantage of 4 to 1

too much pissing about to show you a picture, this site needs a simple way to copy and paste pictures etc

Beat you to it Ice - looked up Wikipedia to see how to rope them.
The pulley's I rigged a couple of hours ago were old and pretty shabby and I reckon I got some better ones stashed in there - just gotta find them.
I could haul my son up okay with them - and with a shitty braided and cored rope - so it will work.
Just got to keep the weight down as it'll be carried a hell of a lot more than it'll ever be used.
Be handy in the garage too for lifting heavy-ish bits - should have made one years ago - but then I had a chain hoist right up until some bugger flogged it, and my jacks, and most of my tools.

IP Logged

Sneaka

I love short range hunting

Reply #13 - Jun 26th, 2018 at 7:25am
Print Post  
Other option is to go to a wreckers and get a seat belt system, you tie it up and then lift the deer bit by bit and it wont drop back down on you. Works a treat and stuff all to carry. If you have a permanent bush camp you can leave it up the tree and no one will know its there.

IP Logged

erniec
Donor Member

Reply #14 - Jun 26th, 2018 at 8:29am
Print Post  
Same here.sako wrote on Jun 25th, 2018 at 6:53pm:
Using small sailing winches. Brilliant.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards