Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic TB FREE search and destroy . (Read 1471 times)
BAZZA

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

TB FREE search and destroy .
Jun 23rd, 2018 at 6:19pm
Print Post  
TB FREE are into another search and destroy mission in North Otago and South Cant Angry

IP Logged

gonehuntin
Forum Font

Re: TB FREE search and destroy .
Reply #1 - Jun 23rd, 2018 at 6:30pm
Print Post  
And so they should.   Too many hunters "farm" the feral populations with little thought of the disease and damage they cause,  hunters would be better off to stick everything and get used to low populations then tb free obliterate them

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #2 - Jun 23rd, 2018 at 8:10pm
Print Post  
its far better they do search n destroy than drop dreaded green rain..... you can still run your dogs and catch what they miss if shot from air......
pigs arent dumb....the deer learnt to hide,some still do and lay down when hear a chopper
chammy and thar also know how to hide, goats will go to ground,seen them hide in a cave...
surely the big/old pigs that avoided it before will have learnt..... keep ya chin up bud its not the end of pig hunting,just a blip on the radar in grand scheme of things.

IP Logged

Sneaka

I love short range hunting

Reply #3 - Jun 24th, 2018 at 8:35am
Print Post  
Correct me if I am wrong but aren't pigs the end of the chain with TB and not an actual vector? I thought they were a good survey tool and indication of whether TB is still in an area due to their Longevity and scavenging nature, but not much else? If that is correct then what will S and D deliver? Why not deer then as well? Maybe they are taking samples from all shot pigs?

IP Logged

013fish

Reply #4 - Jun 24th, 2018 at 9:28am
Print Post  
gonehuntin wrote on Jun 23rd, 2018 at 6:30pm:
And so they should.† †Too many hunters "farm" the feral populations with little thought of the disease and damage they cause,† hunters would be better off to stick everything and get used to low populations then tb free obliterate them

u donít have a clue what your talking about

IP Logged

BAZZA

Reply #5 - Jun 24th, 2018 at 9:46am
Print Post  
Sneaka wrote on Jun 24th, 2018 at 8:35am:
Correct me if I am wrong but aren't pigs the end of the chain with TB and not an actual vector? I thought they were a good survey tool and indication of whether TB is still in an area due to their Longevity and scavenging nature, but not much else? If that is correct then what will S and D deliver? Why not deer then as well? Maybe they are taking samples from all shot pigs?
Totally correct Wink

IP Logged

BAZZA

Reply #6 - Jun 24th, 2018 at 9:47am
Print Post  
013fish wrote on Jun 24th, 2018 at 9:28am:
And so they should.† †Too many hunters "farm" the feral populations with little thought of the disease and damage they cause,† hunters would be better off to stick everything and get used to low populations then tb free obliterate them

Correct Grin

IP Logged

BAZZA

Reply #7 - Jun 24th, 2018 at 9:58am
Print Post  
BAZZA wrote on Jun 24th, 2018 at 9:46am:
Totally correct Wink
They have now shot the same country 3 years in a row and so far no tb found in any pigs and totally destroyed the population, at a guess the cost per pig this time could be 2k or more .The deer will be next .

IP Logged

Old School

Reply #8 - Jun 24th, 2018 at 1:44pm
Print Post  
013fish wrote on Jun 24th, 2018 at 9:28am:

My thoughts exactly . Its a different story when Doc are bombing the country with 1080 ank knocking shit out of the deer population.

IP Logged

Sneaka

Reply #9 - Jun 25th, 2018 at 7:23am
Print Post  
BAZZA wrote on Jun 24th, 2018 at 9:58am:
BAZZA wrote on Jun 24th, 2018 at 9:46am:
Totally correct Wink
They have now shot the same country 3 years in a row and so far no tb found in any pigs and totally destroyed the population, at a guess the cost per pig this time could be 2k or more .The deer will be next .

Lots of the same happening up here but not advertised. They fly under the radar. Lots of deer being shot as part of that too. I guess it is the last step in confirming absence of TB. The question is when is enough to know? If a deer or pig can live with TB for years then it will be in the system for just as long. If a ferret scavenges a dead deer that had TB can it re surface and get back in to the possum population, which is a primary vector, in 10 years? Possums don't live long with TB, not so ungulates is my understanding.

IP Logged

padox
Donor Member

Reply #10 - Jun 25th, 2018 at 7:58pm
Print Post  
They are only taking samples not total search and destroy block up here the went through they got 6 pigs the following weekend the boys went out and caught 4 pigs ranging from 110 to 180

IP Logged

BAZZA

Reply #11 - Jun 25th, 2018 at 9:27pm
Print Post  
padox wrote on Jun 25th, 2018 at 7:58pm:
They are only taking samples not total search and destroy block up here the went through they got 6 pigs the following weekend the boys went out and caught 4 pigs ranging from 110 to 180
Sorry but Tb Free tell lies.

IP Logged

southotago hern

Meat hunter for life

Reply #12 - Jun 27th, 2018 at 5:10pm
Print Post  
hell there's that many pig's around and so many hunter's just chasing not catching and just pushing pig's around tb free don't seem to get on top of them just a survay for samples.

IP Logged

Sneaka

Reply #13 - Jun 27th, 2018 at 8:52pm
Print Post  
southotago hern wrote on Jun 27th, 2018 at 5:10pm:
hell there's that many pig's around and so many hunter's just chasing not catching and just pushing pig's around tb free don't seem to get on top of them just a survay for samples.

That's it. I'm moving to Clutha!!  Grin Grin Not like that here.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards