Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Game Camera Etiquette (Read 3645 times)
Skip
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Game Camera Etiquette
Jun 19th, 2018 at 8:48am
Print Post  
Hi guys
Have had my game camera out on public available land for the last couple of years and my luck has finally run out and someone has flogged it  Sad.   Just wondering about what most people would do if they came upon a camera out in the bush.  I know I'd likely give it the thumbs up and carry on my merry way.
Not too annoyed as it was always a risk that it would get stolen, but more gutted about the footage I have lost.  I check it every few weeks but hadn't downloaded the card in a year or so and had some good footage, including a good stag going nuts from the roar.  Also was looking forward to seeing if there was any animals in its latest area.  Sadly all I know is there has been human activity!
If anyone has happened to pick it up I'd be stoked to just somehow get the footage back. 
PS. Rotoehu area BOP

IP Logged

EJL
Donor Member

Manapouri.... Heaven on
Earth

Re: Game Camera Etiquette
Reply #1 - Jun 19th, 2018 at 9:29am
Print Post  
I'd say the etiquette is to just walk on by if you spot one. Personally I wouldn't even let if get a photo of me if I saw it early enough, but not a big deal either.

Stealing it obviously isn't on the acceptable behavior list - scumbags.

There are some transmitting ones that send the photos/vidoes to a separate receiving unit which you can hide nearby. They are expensive but at least you may get a photo of the thieving pricks.

Impossible is nothing.....................

IP Logged

Pete82
Donor Member

Aren't we lucky?

Reply #2 - Jun 19th, 2018 at 9:54am
Print Post  
Was thinking about getting one or two cameras for "my" area of bush but don't really feel safe to hang $4-800 on a tree...  Undecided

Would never touch anyones camera if I found it in the bush!

How about those lockable cases?

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #3 - Jun 19th, 2018 at 10:26am
Print Post  
I don't know about game cameras, but I did landscaping work for a bloke who had public access at the bottom of his property. He had a jetty there and the young ladies would swim off there and lax out. He had a camera down there and I'd see him sitting in his room watching them on his screen.
I know that's a different thing, but I have a real aversion to them - almost doesn't matter where they are, but I see them as a real intrusion to privacy.
Having said that - I wouldn't flog one.

And talking about that, was fishing of a local jetty with my nephew. The boatshed just behind us had a handy light that was triggered by movement - and right beside that was a camera that monitored the public walkway - and my nephew spotted that.
"That's a bloody camera."
"Nah, it's just a battery box for the light."
"It's a camera alright."

So I down-trou'd and mooned the camera.
A couple of weeks passed and I got a visit from the gardener who looked after the property.
"You insulted the old man."
"Huh ?"
"You brown-eyed the old fella, you insulted him."

I hate those cameras.

IP Logged

Cigar

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #4 - Jun 19th, 2018 at 10:58am
Print Post  
I have come across a camera a couple of times (not literally!). I gave it a wave, and took a photo with my phone so it would take a photo of me taking a photo. I considered mooning it for a laugh...
The last time I found it on my way in, so made damn sure I walked past it twice on my way out - the first time carrying a yearling, then with a boned out spiker in my pack. I wouldn't touch someone else's camera, and definitely wouldn't steal it. I have a cheapo version, the case can be locked and it is password protected. The lock could easily be broken off, and the sd  card can be removed, and the camera can still be used without the password but the settings can't be changed.

IP Logged

X-POACHER-YEAH RYT
Donor Member

Have you ever hunted Middle
Earth?

Reply #5 - Jun 19th, 2018 at 12:07pm
Print Post  
It's the same as anything in the bush, belonging to another hunter,would you pinch a sleeping bag ,or a pack from a hut/campsite?  Angry

Pete82....You can buy Moultrie M999I gamecams on T* X-POACHER-YEAH RYT for $330, these are the cams we use, there are cheaper, less featured models also.

Skip.... That's bloody annoying, we always carry spare SD cards to replace cards with good pic's /footage, when checking cams. Download cards at home to PC or USB, clear and recycle back to cams on next check.

Get as close as you can, then get a bit closer.

IP Logged

X-POACHER-YEAH RYT
Donor Member

Have you ever hunted Middle
Earth?

Reply #6 - Jun 19th, 2018 at 12:12pm
Print Post  
Should have typed "the biggest buy sell site online in NZ" Tardme.

Get as close as you can, then get a bit closer.

IP Logged

Allizdog

Reply #7 - Jun 19th, 2018 at 5:22pm
Print Post  
I have never seen one while hunting but if I did I would leave it, box around it avoiding my photo being taken and carry on.

IP Logged

Kane h

Reply #8 - Jun 20th, 2018 at 7:12pm
Print Post  
had one pinched my self after a couple years good service . I buy the cheap moultrie types $200 each . I've also had plenty good buggers go by an leave them trouble is if you put them on a wallow it's so obvious to someone who stops by.now days I try think out of box a bit use a tree still getting the footage but not so obvious . another thing I've seen done but not tried is on a over head horizontal branch get some cool pics.and I'm yet to see any my self but I'd give it a wave forsure n carry on my way

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #9 - Jun 20th, 2018 at 10:31pm
Print Post  
follow the advice of the penguin......smile and wave boys,smile and wave Grin Grin

IP Logged

stagslayer

I Love cats but can,t
eat a whole one

Reply #10 - Jun 21st, 2018 at 7:05pm
Print Post  
I had 2 cameras stolen & 1 the theif cut the lock off & took the SD card! least he turned the unit off & left it there! pissed me off, but ive seen other guys cameras out & about & left them alone, If they,ve gone to the effort of heading in & setting them up WHY steal them?

IP Logged

sako
Forum Font

Reply #11 - Jun 21st, 2018 at 10:08pm
Print Post  
stagslayer wrote on Jun 21st, 2018 at 7:05pm:
I had 2 cameras stolen & 1 the theif cut the lock off & took the SD card! least he turned the unit off & left it there! pissed me off, but ive seen other guys cameras out & about & left them alone, If they,ve gone to the effort of heading in & setting them up WHY steal them?

Mate had same problem. Next time he put up camera in same position but a sneaky one checking the first camera out. The dude who flogged it got hauled out of his 4wd and given a hua of a hiding with a fence batten. Word got out very quickly to avoid his farm.

IP Logged

gonehuntin
Forum Font

Reply #12 - Jun 22nd, 2018 at 8:47am
Print Post  
Put a bullet through it  Smiley

seriously its a stupid gamble putting them in a public area you may as well just throw a few hundred dollar notes on the ground at the car park and save yourself the hassle and disapointment.

Imo they should be kept off public land unless a permit or something, by law any other type of surveillance camera needs to be notified by way of signage are game cameras any different or a grey area???  one would think this would be an absolute requirement in public area, drones need permission why not static cameras?
Its annoying when you head bush to get away from other humans and their crap just to see reminders cabled to trees watching me go about my past time. its just as annoying as finding a pile of some cnuts rubbish or turd pile in the bush. 
keep these cameras confined to private land and security purposes.

IP Logged

Cuzza
Donor Member

Reply #13 - Jun 22nd, 2018 at 11:03am
Print Post  
$60 delivered to NZ, infrared, 12mp camera etc. Wouldve thought that going to be more and more of them around.

IP Logged

creed
Donor Member

Searching wild horizons
with pack & rifle

Reply #14 - Jun 22nd, 2018 at 8:03pm
Print Post  
Game Camera Etiquette?  . . . leave them out of public land.

Hunting adventures - they're out there!
GTalk  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards