Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic firearm safety (Read 360 times)
willsey40
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

firearm safety
Jun 18th, 2018 at 6:53pm
Print Post  
hi guys hey some time back i posted a message regards to a chap that hunts with a round up the chamber.

he rolls the bolt closed with finger on trigger thus having the firing pin touching the primer but somewhat de cocked

when ready to shoot he lifts bolt strait up and back down and its all go from there

the general replys were pretty damming about that with a lot saying a knock of bang could set of the rifle.

well we were using a bergara 243 single shot at a range this weekend.

these rifles have a hammer and have two positions one click back allows the rifle to be broken in half and bullets added and the next click is hammer back fully and good to go.

well these rifles allow the trigger to be pulled on the first click and the hammer to be sent forward crashing into the primer.

the rifle will not discharge despite me doing it 3 times, on inspection there was a considerable indentation in the primer.

these rifles are made to be carried with the firing pin touching the primer

my mate has concluded with this info there is not a bang or thump big enough to set off a rifle that is being carried with one up the spout and the firing pin touching the primer

any thoughts be really appreciated as he is a hunting buddy

regards

IP Logged

Cigar

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Re: firearm safety
Reply #1 - Jun 18th, 2018 at 8:17pm
Print Post  
On all my centrefire rifles the rear end of the firing pin is exposed, so i am damn sure they could be hit hard enough to set off a round.
My lever action would be the hardest to set off, as there is only a small gap for the stick or whatever to fit between the firing pin and hammer, unless I was holding the lever closed, which would then allow the hammer to be hit forwards into the firing pin.
I'm not familiar with the Bergara, so maybe the hammer and back of the firing pin are not exposed, but if either are exposed it is definitely possible to set off a round. Common sense says you only have to hit it with similar force to the spring that normally does the job.

It might be worth trying one day and getting on video...

IP Logged

noelfj
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #2 - Jun 18th, 2018 at 8:28pm
Print Post  
It all depends on the configuration of the innards of the action and how well they are made.

IP Logged

J
Donor Member

Per Ardua

Reply #3 - Jun 19th, 2018 at 9:35am
Print Post  
If your mate home loads, get him to seat a primer in an empty case, load it into the rifle and hit it hard on the ground against the but pad and see what happens. Even the, it will be difficult to simulate a hard impact on rocks like if the rifle was dropped in a fall.

I don't know about the rifle you're talking about, but it's a seriously bad idea on most rifles. I spoke to my gunsmith about this a few weeks ago and he said: "anyone doing that is living on borrowed time."

Any "safety" practice that leaves an indentation on the primer can't be a good thing.

IP Logged

Pete82
Donor Member

Aren't we lucky?

Reply #4 - Jun 19th, 2018 at 10:10am
Print Post  
Did this exact thing for a year until guys here on forum told me how unsafe it is. Would never do it again! If pin is touching the primer, than its almost the same as finger touching the trigger IMO...

I am lucky enough to have old rifle which has a little indentation and I can engage safety on bolt which is half way closed. Bolt than won't fully close or open. Feeling much safer walking around the bush now  Cool

Brno ZKK 600 in .270

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #5 - Jun 19th, 2018 at 10:45am
Print Post  
Your mate is not going to listen, he's just gonna continue doing what he's always done - and there's a lot of people like that.
Just hope that it doesn't come home to bite him, or more importantly you on the bum one day.

I don't know the Bergara at all, but I would be interested to know if that cartridge went off when you fired it with full hammer back - if you did.
And that's because you could have cracked the priming compound with those soft hammer blows - bit like crunching the compound heavy seating the primer in a big press.
It won't go off when you do that - but in your case it could have.
Primers vary in sensitivity and in cup hardness. I use pistol primers a lot for blackpowder loadings and they're a very soft cup - doesn't take much of a blow to set one of them off.

And edit .......
I'm wondering is that gun is at fault, with almost all the older BP guns that first click back on the hammer is a 'safety carry' - the gun shouldn't fire from that position - the sear is locked it and you need to break something to fire from there.
Some guns also have a bar that won't allow the firing pin to contact the primer should it go off - you need the hammer full back to disengage that bar.
IMO - that gun is either a shitty design - or at fault.

IP Logged

ashfishman
Donor Member

Always ready to learn

Reply #6 - Jun 20th, 2018 at 8:52am
Print Post  
Your mate is a fool.
Stay the phuck away from him.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards