Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) WARO Permitting Consultation Meetings URGENT (Read 3756 times)
Tararua Hunter
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

WARO Permitting Consultation Meetings URGENT
Jun 18th, 2018 at 5:32pm
Print Post  
This is to advise all those interested in WARO permitting by DOC, of the Lower North Island meetings.

Some issues that the Lower North Island Red Deer Foundation feel should be raised with DOC are listed below.

Also listed are some generic issues that probably apply to ALL  WARO permits on Conservation lands in the country

The first meeting primarily concerns the Ruahines  - Palmerston North – Wed 20th 7pm DoC office, 28 North Street
Email; dtoogood@doc.govt.nz

Third meeting for Wellington/Kapiti hunters Kapiti- Wellington DOC office, 13b Wall Place, Kenepuru, 25th June 7pm- 

The second meeting is mostly the Remutakas and the Tararuas  - Wairarapa – Tuesday 26th 7pm, Carterton Events Centre

Palmerston North office are coordinating submissions so  send them to Andrew Mercer Nicole Sutton at mailto:nsutton@doc.govt.nz

Hunters are also able to submit written comments via Email etc to the addresses above.

One of the major issues is, the failure of DOC to implement to promised National Review of WARO and recreational hunting sustainability. DOC reneged on this commitment due to what they saw as little concern from hunters at  initial meetings held last November. These meetings were farcical and the issue of a national review was never properly discussed.

WARO permits may be for up to a 10 year period, leaving virtually no opportunity to sort of the WARO permitting for a long time to come. For this reason, we are advocating only a shorter 3 year permit period to allow a review to be undertaken. (if DOC will co-operate).

HAVE YOU SAY IF YOU CARE ABOUT HUNTING ON PUBLIC LANDS

Maps of WARO permit proposals can be founds on DOCs website at https://www.doc.govt.nz/get-involved/apply-for-permits/business-or-activity/nati...
Suggestions for issues that need to be addressed include;

Ruahines
•      Implement promised National review of WARO. A 3 Year Permit Period, for this round of WARO Permit Renewals to allow review to be undertaken.
•      WARO Closure periods – retained or enhanced, not reduced
•      As a general principle, areas readily accessible and frequently hunted by Recreational Hunters – should be closed to WARO
•      As a general principle, conditions should be placed on WARO Operators to reduce the targeting of stags.

Other parts of the Lower North Island
•      WARO Closure periods in the Tararuas, Remutakas and the Wairarapa reserves – reinstated, retained or enhanced, not reduced. Increased closure times in the Tararuas and complete closure of the Rimutakas and Reserves
•      Standard North Island Closure period, at a minimum the xmas/new year closure should be  16th December to 31st January
•      As a general principle, areas readily accessible and frequently hunted by Recreational Hunters – should be closed to WARO
•      As a general principle, conditions should be placed on WARO Operators to reduce the targeting of stags (as above)
•      Implement promised National review of WARO. A 3 Year Permit Period, for this round of WARO Permit Renewals to allow review to be undertaken.

General comments (these apply throughout NZ)
•      No land handed over to DOC through the Tenure Review Process should be introduced to the WARO Land Schedule.
•      WARO Closure periods – increased North island and South Island minimum closures.
•      As a general principle, conditions should be placed on WARO Operators to reduce the targeting of stags
•      The wide ranging review of WARO which hunters and the High Court were promised must occur
•      DOC stated that an “Assessment” of all conservation land would be made, in order to determine areas offered to WARO. Ask to see that assessment to ensure the WARO land proposal is justified.

Explanation
•      Target Hinds, not stags. Removing stags does virtually nothing for deer control and only removes potential for improving antler quality. Removal of hinds only would see a significantly increased control of deer, that the current Stag harvest does.
•      National review of WARO. This was promised to hunters and the High Court. (as part of defence of LNIRDF Judicial Review). Current WARO has proven to be unsustainable and the ongoing Boom and Bust Non-Management approach by DOC is not achieving effective deer control or considering the role of recreational hunting.
•      Standard permit closure periods – Roar, Christmas etc; The existing 1st December to 30th April Closure period for the Ruahine restricted zones must be retained or enhanced with the addition of November. Adding November will protect the stags from being targeted by WARO and hence more likely to be available during the next roar 

IP Logged

pope
Donor Member

SAVE A HORSE, ride a cow
girl

Re: WARO Permitting Consultation Meetings URGENT
Reply #1 - Jun 18th, 2018 at 7:56pm
Print Post  
just sent a letter off to the 3 supplied emails addresses

IP Logged

cb14
Forum Font

Reply #2 - Jun 19th, 2018 at 5:19pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the heads up.  Will try and make the Wellington meeting.

IP Logged

Salmoner
Donor Member

I love salmon fishin

Reply #3 - Jun 19th, 2018 at 6:26pm
Print Post  
Rangiora DoC office Monday 25th June 7 to 9 pm.

DoC office , Nga Mahi Rd, Sockburn, ChCh 27th June 10am to 12 noon.

IP Logged

Penguinbait

Reply #4 - Jun 19th, 2018 at 8:24pm
Print Post  
We should really be mindful of the price of apathy here.  It will be high and last for at least 10 years...

Do your bit guys it takes 10 minutes

IP Logged

karlos

Reply #5 - Jun 20th, 2018 at 9:01am
Print Post  
10 minutes well spent I think.  Have emailed. Fingers crossed for a positive response.

IP Logged

kiwishooter
Donor Member

Reply #6 - Jun 20th, 2018 at 9:24am
Print Post  
Salmoner wrote on Jun 19th, 2018 at 6:26pm:
Rangiora DoC office Monday 25th June 7 to 9 pm.

DoC office , Nga Mahi Rd, Sockburn, ChCh 27th June 10am to 12 noon.

To add to those meetings

Invercargill 26th June Ascot Park Hotel 3.30pm

Cromwell 27th June Golden Gate Lodge 9.30am

Below courtesy of Gordon George

Demand meetings at times when rec guys can participate. DoC have a consultation guideline and this farcical consultation is falling well short of it. Ask them (include Lou Sanson and Mike Slater Lou Sanson lsanson@doc.govt.nz Michael Slater mslater@doc.govt.nz as this fiasco is of their making) why they are timing meetings when hunters are least able to take part, is that their intent ?  DoCs consultation guidelines are available https://www.doc.govt.nz/get-involved/have-your-say/how-we-consult/.

Check out the link in TH's post and make a submission based on the information provided.
Take out the emotion and base the submission on facts.......this will carry more weight.

Would requiring WARO operators to take x hinds per stag be a good thing??

If we could get that perhaps it would be the start of game animal management in NZ.

If it ain't broke, I can fix it 'til it is!

IP Logged

kiwishooter
Donor Member

Reply #7 - Jun 20th, 2018 at 9:42am
Print Post  
Penguinbait wrote on Jun 19th, 2018 at 8:24pm:
We should really be mindful of the price of apathy here.  It will be high and last for at least 10 years...

Do your bit guys it takes 10 minutes

To give you an idea of apathy,

I send out the news letter for our branch, 70% read the news letter 5% read the notice about Waro

IP Logged

Tararua Hunter
Forum Font

Reply #8 - Jun 20th, 2018 at 7:53pm
Print Post  
Quote:

I send out the news letter for our branch, 70% read the news letter 5% read the notice about Waro

Unfortunately quite true Kiwishooter

Even Branch reps that were sent info on this recently, only 50 percent opened the email. And its all for the benefit of their members

Dunno if its too many hunters arnt interested in doing more work to hunt public land, or they think "its never been better', or "WARO wont get them all" or what
Need pull their heads out represent their members.
According to some NZDA Branch reps, head office NZDA arnt doing much to help either

DOC cant loose, with that attitude

IP Logged

tops4me

Reply #9 - Jun 20th, 2018 at 9:38pm
Print Post  
Hopefully people get out and tell DOC what they think, 10 more years til we get another go, as well as a stag/hind ratio I'd like to see all GPS waypoints for recovered animals on a public website, would enable people to plan where not to go.. Roll Eyes

IP Logged

kiwishooter
Donor Member

Reply #10 - Jun 21st, 2018 at 7:51am
Print Post  
Tararua Hunter wrote on Jun 20th, 2018 at 7:53pm:
Quote:

Unfortunately quite true Kiwishooter

Even Branch reps that were sent info on this recently, only 50 percent opened the email. And its all for the benefit of their members

Dunno if its too many hunters arnt interested in doing more work to hunt public land, or they think "its never been better', or "WARO wont get them all" or what
Need pull their heads out represent their members.
According to some NZDA Branch reps, head office NZDA arnt doing much to help either

DOC cant loose, with that attitude

NZDA National Office is currently one lady in the office and she made branches aware of this back on the 4/5 and again on the 8/6 and have kept branches informed of information as it has been made available.
I'm unsure what the branch reps expect from this lady??

Branches know the local areas better than Sue in the National Office, so it only makes sense that these branches make the submissions.
I would assume that if the branches have questions they would ask their respective rep on the National Exec.

If the branch reps think they aren't getting enough support from National Office or the National Exec then with conference coming up they have the opportunity to step up and put themselves forward for a position on the National Exec and bring about change in the organisation.

Or are we just a group of people that think someone else should do everything for us...………...because if we are we will loose everything we have got at the moment through our own apathy.

We all need to get involved and do a bit...…..many hands make light work

IP Logged

karlos

Reply #11 - Jun 21st, 2018 at 9:32am
Print Post  
karlos wrote on Jun 20th, 2018 at 9:01am:
10 minutes well spent I think.  Have emailed. Fingers crossed for a positive response.

Well, i got a reply back from DOC saying thanks for the feedback and it will be considered in the final assessment process so that's something useful from sending an email.

Did anyone from here actually go to the meeting for the Ruahines in PN?  I'd be keen to hear what was said.

IP Logged

pope
Donor Member

SAVE A HORSE, ride a cow
girl

Reply #12 - Jun 21st, 2018 at 12:34pm
Print Post  
wait untill WARO starts hitting all the tahr herds and listen for all the whining ,this sage women made some comment a while back about cleaning them out, i'm sure she"s the reason behind all this change to waro and the LNIRDF court decision, she not pandering to hunters that for sure, didn't she get some award from F&B for her effort in conservation

IP Logged

Oscar
Donor Member

Let Us Prey

Reply #13 - Jun 21st, 2018 at 1:00pm
Print Post  
Eugenie Sage worked for F&B for about 13 years. Forest and Bird, Green Party and DoC - there's some fairly common negative views of them in the hunting community. I'd suspect we are politically insignificant to her. Not an unforeseeable outcome.

Herbs before herbivores

Not all those who wander are lost

IP Logged

Tararua Hunter
Forum Font

Reply #14 - Jun 21st, 2018 at 1:46pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Did anyone from here actually go to the meeting for the Ruahines in PN?  I'd be keen to hear what was said.

Gordon tells me went good, good turnout of hunters. DOC seemd to be listening

few things  arising
-don't assume areas previously Closed to WARO and still proposed for Closure in next permit period, will stay that way. The opposition (WARO) may put up an argument that existing Closed areas should be open. History has shown, DOC are only too willing to keep those guys happy at expense of hunters

-Insist on a 3 year term only, for the new permit period. The last permit term was reduced to 3 years, too allow the promised national review of WARO by DOC. But they reneged on that. We are insisting that the cancelled review is resurrected.

-insist on extended closure period over summer, to protect stags in velvet. ie Close in November, open January

- reduce harvest of stags. Does nothing for deer control harvesting Hinds mainly does far my for deer control

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards