Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Stalker wannabe got schooled... (Read 769 times)
Pete82
Donor Member

Aren't we lucky?

Stalker wannabe got schooled...
Jun 17th, 2018 at 11:27pm
Print Post  
Last winter I have managed to bump into bedded stag (he got away, but thats another story...) and marked that spot in my GPS thinking that it would be handy for seasons to come as to my limited knowledge they tend to go back to same spot every year.

Sorry, no pictures on this one...  Huh

So on Saturday I was back there again, this was my 6th trip to same area - my training grounds so to speak... Thinking that its cold enough and well after the roar so he should be back in his winter grounds.

After about 2 hours of pushing through some nasty stuff in lower parts of the bush I managed to reach more opened bush and started walking in same altitude where intended stag should live. Found nice trail with bit of a fresh sign going across steep gully with small creek. I climbed up making some noise here and there. Got the wind right this time, gentle breeze into my face - ideal! After climb I stopped to take a breather and to slow down before walking into the flat area. Suddenly I caught strange whiff in the air, but as quickly as it came it was gone, leaving some doubts in me if that was a deer I just smelled... Without too much thinking I started slowly walking into the area and after couple meters I stopped and looked around. And there he was - about 30m uphill from me, front facing, eyes on me, legs all stretched, ready to bounce away...In next second, before I slowly started putting my rifle up, he started walking away, not in too much of a hurry but I lost sight of him within few seconds. He made no noise, vanished like a ghost... Must have been a different animal to one I saw last year as this one had only 4 or 6 points, old fella probably got shot during roar or was just pushed away...

So after bit of a swearing I waited about a minute before slowly moving into direction of his departure and as quietly as I could. Covered about 100 meters and just when I started thinking about sitting down and waiting - all of a sudden he was right in front of me, about 50m, having a second and this time much better look!  Cheesy

After double checking on me and realising what I am he bolted away. Didn't want to play cowboy so haven't even try to get a crosshair on him as he dispersed his arse into thick bush... Started tracking along the fresh prints straight away but this time he was gone for good, prints soon started heading downhill and later on swing back to where we came from - he did a half circle around me and now had my wind - I was done...  Roll Eyes

So not much of a success story but was really pleased with my progress in stalking and being able to sneak that close. Next time I have to rely more on my senses and gut feeling, slowing down more as well...  Embarrassed

Is is normal for deer to come back to check on you when they didn't get your wind but just quick look on first encounter? Would they always try to cut your wind to be sure where you are? I thought that only stags in roar do that?

Brno ZKK 600 in .270

IP Logged

footsore
Forum Senior

Hunting - Cultural Immersion
in the Wilderness

Re: Stalker wannabe got schooled...
Reply #1 - Jun 18th, 2018 at 4:47am
Print Post  
Cool  -I love these little experiences/encounters with animals, even those where you come away empty handed.
You are doing everything right with multiple trips to the same area you have learnt the lie of the land and the habits of the deer living there.
Bush stalking isn't easy and your seeing animals demonstrates you are picking up the discipline here too. Sure, next time go a little slower and be a little more watchful, but sometimes too you just need a little more luck on your side.
If your stag circled to wind you it was because he still wasn't 100% sure what you were. Deer have pretty limited vision but a great sense of smell. So until he sniffed you out you were a vague shape the seemed to be following him -a likely threat so lets evade it and then confirm what it was once we are safe.

IP Logged

bufferzone
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #2 - Jun 18th, 2018 at 7:17am
Print Post  
I give a little squel in these circumstances, quite often they will walk out of your sight and stop and watch,especially if you dont hear them crash off, good stuff a great buzz

IP Logged

EJL
Donor Member

Manapouri.... Heaven on
Earth

Reply #3 - Jun 18th, 2018 at 5:25pm
Print Post  
Pete82 wrote on Jun 17th, 2018 at 11:27pm:
Is is normal for deer to come back to check on you when they didn't get your wind but just quick look on first encounter? Would they always try to cut your wind to be sure where you are? I thought that only stags in roar do that?

Not sure if there is a "normal" but my experience is the dumber (younger) the animal is the less likely they are to sneak around you for a sniff and the more likely they are to stop for a look.

A good yarn though, not all good hunting reports end with a dead animal. Sounds like you know the area pretty well now.

Impossible is nothing.....................

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #4 - Jun 20th, 2018 at 5:32pm
Print Post  
mate...you got a 2nd look at the animal...you doing plurry well as thats not something that happens every day.

IP Logged

Pete82
Donor Member

Aren't we lucky?

Reply #5 - Jun 20th, 2018 at 7:42pm
Print Post  
cheers for tips guys, yes I know the area pretty well by now but still have to figure out where all the ladies I saw during roar are living!

cheers MD, that second encounter should have been deadly for him... I think that his young age and fact that he didn't have a good look for first time made him come back? lessons learned, so far most exciting stalk for me!

Brno ZKK 600 in .270

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #6 - Jun 20th, 2018 at 7:49pm
Print Post  
hinds SHOULD still be in general area they were in...the stags move into hind territory or the edge of it for rut not the other way around...the girls have the prime tucker and lower areas and the boys the higher ground and rougher forage......as a rough rule of thumb Wink
there are studies going waaay back touched on in saxton n lentles books that show how deer will react depending on what senses detect your presence....bottom line once they smell you they gone Angry

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards