Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Hawaii (Read 605 times)
davflaws
Donor Member

NOT Training for SAS Selection

Hawaii
Jun 15th, 2018 at 1:00pm
Print Post  
Bucket list trip with Ellen to see lava and do some diving.
The E side of the Big Is used to be sugar and cattle, but is now lifestyle, few tourists and old hippies. We fitted right in. 

That is the side exposed to the tradewinds, so there is always a 1-3m swell crashing onshore. Most of this side is 100m cliffs and there are comparatively few areas with easy access to the water.

No diving, and the only fishermen were using amazingly heavy rods with overhead reels and heavy mono to toss whole squid on tuna hooks just beyond the white water for GTs. We didn't see any action. but the fishermen were well geared up with pole gaffs with detatchable heads, so they were hoping!.

A couple of days back we came over to Kono on the leeward side. Lotsa places to snorkle, and saw an abundance and variety of reef fish and turtles, along with a couple of blue trevally around 2-3 kg.

Yesterday, I went out on a diving charter, (two actually) from 8.30am to 9.30 pm. I used 4 tanks and today I am utterly stuffed, but had the best day of my 50+ years of diving.

We were never more than 500 m offshore and never went deeper than   20m, but I saw lotsa reef fish, GTs, 3m span manta rays 10m away during the day, and close enuff to touch at night.

But the highlight was a 10min snorkle with a 10m whaleshark close enuff to touch. What a blast!!!

IP Logged

X-POACHER-YEAH RYT
Donor Member

Have you ever hunted Middle
Earth?

Re: Hawaii
Reply #1 - Jun 18th, 2018 at 4:34pm
Print Post  
Good for you Dave, go for it. Miss my diving days, 40 odd years ago, totally different world under there, must be a real experience in the tropics. Hope you and the 'better half' have a great trip and arrive home safely.  Smiley

Get as close as you can, then get a bit closer.

IP Logged

davflaws
Donor Member

Reply #2 - Jun 22nd, 2018 at 8:10pm
Print Post  
Left Honolulu at 32C arrived in AK at 12C yesterday.

Only marine things of note were a a couple of dives on the back wall of Molokini Crater. The second was a real adrenaline rush. Hanging at 60ft with 300ft of black water beneath me, 20 ft off a vertical wall in 1-1.5 kt of current, watching the scenery speed by.

Other than that - it was Budget Rental telling us we they had to give us another subcompact rather than the Ford Fiesta we had  booked. Turned out to be a bright red Mustang. Tooling up and down the freeway was a blast!

And the best steak of my life at Atkinson's Steak House in Waikiki.

IP Logged

davflaws
Donor Member

Reply #3 - Jun 24th, 2018 at 7:31pm
Print Post  
I forgot about the bonefish. Snorkelling off Maui in 25ft over a coral sand bottom with occasional reefs of coral covered lava. Seven Bonefish came in moving fast on the bottom in a fairly loose school. Largest probably about 90cm, smallest 65cm.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards