Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Points scoring while shooting ducks (Read 1000 times)
Salmoner
Donor Member

I love salmon fishin

Points scoring while shooting ducks
Jun 14th, 2018 at 3:43pm
Print Post  
Following on from extending seasons debate in A/W thread I heard the other the other day what i thought was a good idea.

Opening weekend each hunter can shoot say 20 birds per day. After opening weekend you can shoot 20 points per day. A drake has 1 point and a hen has 3 points. So you can shoot 20 drakes or 11 drakes and 3 hens to get your 20 points.

Fly in the ointment is evening / dark shooting but you gotta stop when you have your 20 points.

Thoughts,  comments ?

IP Logged

mallardbuster
Forum Font

Bad day hunting beats
a good day working

Re: Points scoring while shooting ducks
Reply #1 - Jun 14th, 2018 at 5:58pm
Print Post  
You are still shooting 20 drakes,14 mixed bag,Here in southland we are allowed 20 birds for opening weekend then after that 10 birds?with the hybrid grey mallard drake very hard to identify in half dark.to be honest our season is too long.The bag limit and points system only works with honest people that stop when get there limit,

IP Logged

Ballistic Tip
Just Joined

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #2 - Jun 17th, 2018 at 10:23pm
Print Post  
mallardbuster wrote on Jun 14th, 2018 at 5:58pm:
You are still shooting 20 drakes,14 mixed bag,Here in southland we are allowed 20 birds for opening weekend then after that 10 birds?with the hybrid grey mallard drake very hard to identify in half dark.]to be honest our season is too long.The bag limit and points system only works with honest people that stop when get there limit,

I agree with you saying that our season is to long, two months would be long enough for a season (a few years ago thats what is was and that was fine). Ducks are paired up and looking for nesting sites by July (some ducks are actually starting to lay eggs by the end of the month). The long season hinders the breeding season for ducks and that will have a lot to do with why duck numbers are so low in southland now.
And yes the bag limit only works for honest people, unfortunatly there is no shortage of dishonest people down here who just don't stop shooting when they get there limit, which doesn't help the low duck numbers.

IP Logged

Salmoner
Donor Member

I love salmon fishin

Reply #3 - Jun 18th, 2018 at 5:51pm
Print Post  
A wee bit of info re the mallard drake/hen imbalance. Yes i know its data out of the USA but i believe there is the same imbalance in sex ratios in NZ ?

http://www.ducks.org/conservation/waterfowl-research-science/waterfowl-sex-ratio...

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #4 - Jun 22nd, 2018 at 7:29pm
Print Post  
its a pity we dont have a drakes only season for say 2 months into breeding season when those randy mallard drakes are out on the prowl and raping all the hens they can get . last year there was a hen hit by a car on grass verge outside our work yard....there was nearly always a drake or 4 in attndence for close to a week.the ground was turned to mud around her dead carcass..... sitting on a small pond/puddle with single hen decoy could be very interesting way to spend the day..... the hens are doing the rearing thing and it only takes single drake to fertilize the eggs..... it MIGHT slow down the hybrid thing somewhat as the grey hens might get a break too.

IP Logged

Salmoner
Donor Member

I love salmon fishin

Reply #5 - Jun 24th, 2018 at 8:01am
Print Post  
Gday Mickey,

This idea is an encouragement for a drake harvest but has the out for someone who makes a mistake rather than a straight dont shoot hens rule.

This year i am trying my level best to shoot drakes only but have shot a pair with one shot on 2 occasions so far this year. This rule allows me not to be a law breaker or a dumper of ducks.

Also re a previous post about it will rely on peoples honesty.. any law relies on peoples honesty to obey it.

I have a real soft spot for mallard hens. They get a real hard time when nesting from predators [that is why i trap] and then they get a hiding during duck season ... we rely on them to bring up next years crop of birds and seem to give nothing back to them. With a "drake encouragement" rule we have an simple opportunity to give something back !

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #6 - Jun 24th, 2018 at 8:43pm
Print Post  
I do agree.....most years for the last 18 we end up with 2/3rds drakes.....probably as we target the big fat green heads first and if dont hit it with first shot it gets the second too.....if we drop drake with first,the nearest bird gets the next...that the nearest reason I can work out why.
I see your point re dumping/law breaking....same theory why 1 grey teal has been sugested for years..... you try your best but sometimes it happens,if youve done it once you make plurry sure not to do it again.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards