Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic All terrain tyres (Read 1256 times)
crunch

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

All terrain tyres
Jun 12th, 2018 at 4:33pm
Print Post  
There are field day specials on maxxis and cooper tires this month and I'm stuck on what to buy.  Im looking at the maxxis bravo 980 $1350 for a set, or the cooper st/maxx $1880 for a set.  Im not sure if the cooper's are worth the extra $530 over the maxxis?  Anyone got any advice.
Thanks.

IP Logged

XRhunter
Donor Member

Re: All terrain tyres
Reply #1 - Jun 12th, 2018 at 5:02pm
Print Post  
The Coopers will well outlast the Maxxis for kms travelled. Plus the Coopers are known as stickier in the wet than the  Maxxis. Pretty much you get what you pay for with those brands.

IP Logged

NIMROD
Donor Member

Made in New Zealand

Reply #2 - Jun 12th, 2018 at 7:54pm
Print Post  
There's a lot more to consider than price.
Load rating / Ply rating is a huge factor in 4x4 tyres.
Something with a 100 to 106 load rating will be as soft as butter and puncture easily and stone penetration on freshly metaled or graded forestry tracks will be a big problem.
I just fitted some 117 load rated (10ply) Toyo A/T's for trouble free 4 wheel driving

Better to Burn out than it is to Rust

IP Logged

X-POACHER-YEAH RYT
Donor Member

Have you ever hunted Middle
Earth?

Reply #3 - Jun 12th, 2018 at 8:00pm
Print Post  
Run Kumho KL71'S on our last 3 4wd doublecabs. Had Coopers on the first one, but did not like the way they handled on the road, so changed to the Kumhos.
Always check prices, with Steve at TyreShopOnline before you sign up, great guy to deal with. A wealth of practical experience, along with sharp prices,  free freight if you buy a set of 4 tyres.  Wink

Get as close as you can, then get a bit closer.

IP Logged

Huntsouth
Forum Font

Reply #4 - Jun 12th, 2018 at 10:40pm
Print Post  
Check the Coopers warranty - certain conditions to meet that will cost you extra which i doubt many keep their receipts for wheel rotation etc. Personally i think the tyres overpriced for NZ conditions.

IP Logged

Salmoner
Donor Member

I love salmon fishin

Reply #5 - Jun 13th, 2018 at 7:44am
Print Post  
I had Maxxis tyres, mudders i think they were called. I guess they were a hard compound tyre as they lasted 80,000km. However you would not of wanted to do any hard cornering as i always thought they would let go, if it was the compound or tread pattern i dont know ?

I now have Cooper tyres from Mag and Turbo here in ChCh, they are a less aggressive mud tyre. They rotate them "free", as in built into the price ? every 10000km. Very easy to deal with. They said i should get 80000km out of them. I also feel a lot more confident I wont have let go experience when i need them to hang onto the road.

IP Logged

gonehuntin
Forum Font

Reply #6 - Jun 13th, 2018 at 8:10am
Print Post  
coopers last a looong time so worth the extra coin but I found them to have alot more road noise.

IP Logged

Trout
Donor Member

Top NZ WhiteTail

Reply #7 - Jul 1st, 2018 at 6:58pm
Print Post  
I had coopers STs on my old Nissan patrol,tyers got hammered on the Tekapo river for a few years.Got a 110000 ks out of them down to the copper wire.The next set were $600 per tyer.Bugger that, went to bfgs.

Shot a few deer,caugth some big trout and salmon

IP Logged

Trout
Donor Member

Top NZ WhiteTail

Reply #8 - Jul 1st, 2018 at 6:59pm
Print Post  
I had coopers STs on my old Nissan patrol,tyers got hammered on the Tekapo river for a few years.Got a 110000 ks out of them down to the copper wire.The next set were $600 per tyer.Bugger that, went to bfgs.

Shot a few deer,caugth some big trout and salmon

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards