Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Suzuki Vitara 1600 using water (Read 1008 times)
pennyless

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Suzuki Vitara 1600 using water
Jun 10th, 2018 at 11:40am
Print Post  
Just in case anyones had this.
Started drinking coolant. Doesn't appear to be in oil, starts & runs well , no overheating. no steam from tail pipe. Does not over pressure radiator.
On trip emptys overflow bottle & drops radiator level. I've not let it get too low.
seems it's pumping out as system pressurises & sucks out of overflow as pressure drops ie on downhill sections or idle.
Been a great little vehicle. (280K)
Any suggestions.

IP Logged

pennyless

Re: Suzuki Vitara 1600 using water
Reply #1 - Jun 10th, 2018 at 12:51pm
Print Post  
Update its now showing oil in water (mayonnaise in filler cap) Cry Cry
Guess its head off time.
Anyone recommend a source of replacement heads in case I need one?
Thanks

IP Logged

gonehuntin
Forum Font

Reply #2 - Jun 11th, 2018 at 2:56pm
Print Post  
depends how long you wana keep it going but a cheap quick fix is irontite or the flakey crap ya can get from repco to fix the leak, I just check water daily and add more when it starts drinkn lots again (the old girl not worth repairing) or can get good fibre liquid stuff on tardme they all work to varying degrees. ive gone 10k km before adding more but mostly get 4-6k km before it starts leaking again.

IP Logged

Rugersst
Forum Font

Victory is mine...

Reply #3 - Jun 11th, 2018 at 7:22pm
Print Post  
Some of them warped/cracked blocks which cause your issue may be as simple as a head gasket all the same.
If you use the additives as mentioned above they will block your radiator over time so if that was the cause of your problem in the first place you may want to rectifiy that at the same time as any other repairs.

IP Logged

pennyless

Reply #4 - Jun 13th, 2018 at 8:30pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the suggestions. The gasket in a can was an idea. Was going to upgrade anyway, left it a bit late. :/
Will probably pull head as soon as I get time & go from there. Its about due for cambelt & waterpump anyway.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards