Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Karangarua/Cassel flat hut area (Read 1101 times)
Kaboomfa

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Karangarua/Cassel flat hut area
Jun 9th, 2018 at 9:56am
Print Post  
Hi I'm heading into this area soon when I can align a few days off with a good forecast. Has anyone been in lately or have any advice? Mainly after a bull but won't turn my nose up at a good buck either. Will post a trip report when I return
« Last Edit: Jul 20th, 2018 at 9:29am by Kaboomfa »  

IP Logged

Scarfie
Just Joined

Re: Karangaroa/welcome flat hut area
Reply #1 - Jun 10th, 2018 at 3:53pm
Print Post  
I assume you mean the Copland and Karangarua valleys? Good numbers of animals in both catchments, but you'll have to work to get a decent bull. If you stay in Welcome Flat Hut head up Creamy or Scott Creek. If you can get above the waterfall at Scott Creek it's fantastic hunting up there.

IP Logged

lewy_louie

Re: Karangaroa/welcome flat hut area
Reply #2 - Jun 10th, 2018 at 9:24pm
Print Post  
From Cassels Flat hunt either Parcels or Bunnker for Bull tahr (occasional Cham buck up there too) or across cablecart to Regina for dedicated Cham hunting. Has good numbers throughout whole system but you will need to work for them. Easy deer on terrace flats first and last light!

Scarfie has already indicated a good starting point for the Copeland side, in addition to this I would say  Ruera (upstream of hut on true right).

Oh and watch the small side creeks after rain, many a person has been caught out by these, especially Mc Taggarts!

Cheers,

Lewy

I Laugh at the love and pride of Man, At the Sophist schools and Learned clan. For what are they all in high conceit, When Man in the Bush with God may meet?

IP Logged

Kaboomfa

Karangarua/Cassel flat hut area
Reply #3 - Jul 20th, 2018 at 9:28am
Print Post  
Thanks for the advice so far. Iíve locked in next week to do this trip. Decided to head to Cassel Flat walking in first light Wednesday and out on Sunday. Iíve google searched and read every thread I can find on the area but if anyone has any advice or been in there recently Iíd be keen to hear how you got on. Cheers!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards