Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Waro meetings (Read 2234 times)
kiwishooter
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Waro meetings
Jun 8th, 2018 at 2:54pm
Print Post  
Has anyone participated or is intending to participate in the review DOC is having on Waro?
I notice that the meetings are not going to be publicly notified, does anyone have any meeting dates?

The current national Wild Animal Recovery Operations (WARO) concession permit was granted in 2015
and expires on 30 June 2018. A process has begun to develop a new national WARO permit to be offered
to operators. Existing national WARO concessionaires who apply for and still meet the current WARO
permit requirements are likely to be issued with an interim permit to allow continuity of operations from
the expiry of the current permits until the 2018 WARO permits are issued.
A WARO permit is required any time an aircraft is used on public conservation land to search for, shoot
and recover wild animals or parts of wild animals.
The current national WARO permit is primarily for the recovery of deer carcasses for supply to Ministry of
Primary Industries approved processors. The permit allows (subject to conditions) aircraft to be used for:
• Deer, pig, and goat carcass recovery, plus live capture of deer, pigs and goats (North Island
permit)
• Deer, pig chamois and goat carcass recovery and live capture of deer (South Island permit)
You can see the current permits online at www.doc.govt.nz/waro
The permit excludes the carriage of recreational hunters and fee-paying passengers. Other WARO
activities, such as aerially assisted trophy hunting (AATH) or chamois live-capture and conveyance, have
their own, separate WARO permits and processes.
The table below shows the key steps and expected timeframes for the 2018 new national WARO permit
process.
Steps Timeframes
Department staff will do a regional land assessment process to develop
draft WARO land schedule
Mid-April – mid May 2018
Department external targeted consultation on draft WARO land schedule.
Operations Directors and/or Operations Managers will decide the format
of the consultation to be undertaken in their region/district
Month of June 2018
Targeted follow up engagement in respect of finalised land schedule, if
required
Mid-July – early August 2018
Decision expected on 2018 national WARO permit Mid-August 2018
New permit offer to WARO operators Early September 2018
The land assessment process assesses which public conservation land should be included in the new national
WARO permit. The 2018 land assessment focus is on new land or land that has had a change in land status or is
covered by a management plan which is new or has been revised since 2014. The land assessment process will also look at land that was previously assessed for the 2015 WARO permit but where issues have come up that may mean a change in WARO access is needed. This change could mean more or less WARO access.
Yes – where this is considered necessary, the WARO permit conditions will be reviewed.
No - The 2018 national WARO permit process is not expected to include formal public notification under the Conservation Act 1987. Instead, targeted consultation will occur with WARO operators and interested stakeholders at a regional level to make sure everything that needs to be looked at is considered when drafting the WARO land schedule.
The national WARO permit does not allow WARO activity in gazetted Recreational Hunting Areas, and it also will not allow WARO activity when any Herds of Special Interest are gazetted under the Game Animal Council Act 2013.
Across public conservation land where WARO activity is allowed under the national WARO permit, there are restrictions on the activity. For example, to avoid peak recreation periods and the deer Roar period, the current national WARO permit excludes operations between:
22 December – 15 January and 15 March – 30 April (North Island)
22 December – 5 January and 23 March – 9 April (South Island)
There are also additional restrictions for some public conservation land based around things like recreational hunter ballot blocks and specific requirements of management plans.
Contact the DOC WARO co-ordinator in your Region. Refer to the table below and the map to check which Region you are in.
Region
WARO co-ordinator
Contact email address

Southern South Island John Roberts jroberts@doc.govt.nz
Eastern South Island David Agnew dagnew@doc.govt.nz
Western South Island Joy Comrie jcomrie@doc.govt.nz
Northern South Island Jo Gould jgould@doc.govt.nz

Lower North Island Andy Mercer amercer@doc.govt.nz
Hauraki/Waikato/Taranaki Andrew Styche astyche@doc.govt.nz
Central North Island James (Hemi) Barsdell jbarsdell@doc.govt.nz

Auckland Dave Smith No Auckland WARO areas
Northern North Island Hamish Eglinton heglinton@doc.govt.nz

If it ain't broke, I can fix it 'til it is!

IP Logged

Tararua Hunter
Forum Font

Re: Waro meetings
Reply #1 - Jun 8th, 2018 at 4:38pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Has anyone participated or is intending to participate in the review DOC is having on Waro?
I notice that the meetings are not going to be publicly notified, does anyone have any meeting dates?

Yep, Kiwishooter
The LNIRDF currently discussing it with the local DOC region (P/North)

anyone who has concerns about how WARO is managed (or not managed) , wanting more restrictions on WARO etc should try to attend.

DOC had promised to do a full national review on the sustainability of deer management, but pulled the plug, reneging on a promise made to the High Court.

Justification by DOC was, not enough concern expressed by hunters about the current setup.

Bit more here. More to come, shortly

https://www.lnirdf.org.nz/blog/778319

Check out latest NZ Hunter magazine, Game Animal Council item about a Review of WARO/deer   they will be doing

IP Logged

Tararua Hunter
Forum Font

Reply #2 - Jun 9th, 2018 at 10:15am
Print Post  
DOC have posted 2018 proposals for WARO  areas on their website

surprise, surprise, DOC are once again trying to shaft hunters, certainly at least in the Lower North island.

They are intending to do what they did last time (and failed thanks to the LNIRDF Judicial Review) and open up the Ruahines to year round WARO.
while the existing Closed zones will remain as is, they are intending to allow year round WARO in the remaining area.
This is exactly the same decision that they did in 2015. It was only thru a lot of lobbying by hunters (and support from Peter Dunne) that the decision was reversed.

Now, with a supportive anti deer Minister of Conservation, DOC are having another go

Thiss is despite entering into a collaborative Ruahine Deer Planning process with rec hunters, GAC, LNIRDF, NZDA HO, and WARO

There has been a clear understanding during this planning process, that there wouldn't be any changes to existing WARO areas until agreement was reached within the deer Plan group.

DOC have bypassed this agreement and are effectively overriding the plan process completely
LNIRDF now have to consider what are the options for remaining within the deer plan group, and legal options to challenge what has happened.

Additionally, DOC have retained the 2015 changes to remove nearly all restrictions on WARO in the Tararuas and Rimutaka forest parks, and several reserves. ie Tauherenikau, totara flats, orongorongo valley etc

meetings with hunters are planned by DOC, the Ruahine one occurring on 20 June. at P/North.
This is their "consultation" process.
other meeting will be held probably in the Wairarapa, hawkes bay and wellington

If you value hunting in the Ruahines, Tararuas, and Rimutakas, then have your say. If in a hunting club, get your committee to take this seriously and front up to the DOC meetings. also, write / email DOC, the DOC DG or the minister of conservation NOW

Following on from reneging on the promised national review of WARO, this is yet another betrayal of recreational hunters, in order to prop up the commercial WARo industry

if hunters don't front up, don't whinge later on

https://www.doc.govt.nz/get-involved/apply-for-permits/business-or-activity/nati...

IP Logged

kiwishooter
Donor Member

Reply #3 - Jun 10th, 2018 at 11:26am
Print Post  
This needs to get out to as many hunters as possible and as many hunters as possible need to participate in this, there is a bigger voice in numbers which is harder for DOC to ignore.

As TH says

You have an opportunity, don't let apathy rule

If it ain't broke, I can fix it 'til it is!

IP Logged

Tararua Hunter
Forum Font

Reply #4 - Jun 10th, 2018 at 12:21pm
Print Post  
kiwishooter wrote on Jun 10th, 2018 at 11:26am:
This needs to get out to as many hunters as possible and as many hunters as possible need to participate in this, there is a bigger voice in numbers which is harder for DOC to ignore.

As TH says

You have an opportunity, don't let apathy rule

your right, Kiwishooter.
But so far, no one seems interested.

I don't know what DOC is planning for the rest of the country. But the signs so far, are they want to prop up the commercial venison industry at the expense of rec hunting

As for Ruahine, Rimuataka and Tararua rec hunters, deer hunting is going to go downhill, once the next summer comes about.

Even the Facebook hunters are more interested in this
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1682241085328263/?fref=ts

IP Logged

Ruger
Donor Member

Reply #5 - Jun 11th, 2018 at 11:03am
Print Post  
Hi all
The link below is from the DOC website where they are promising a WARO review after the court case found against them for not consulting with hunters about the 2015 proposal. Not sure if the CMS for the Lower North Island has been gazetted yet (just checked and it hasn't), if it hasn't then the Ruahine Forest Management Plan is still in force and they are not able to make the changes without the proper consultation, just like in 2015! Anyway if you care write to Minister Sage and complain, as well to the NZ First lot as well.
https://www.doc.govt.nz/get-involved/apply-for-permits/business-or-activity/nati... Cheers Ruger

Cheers&&Ruger

IP Logged

bushwanderer
Forum Font

hunt, fish and dive

Reply #6 - Jun 11th, 2018 at 6:23pm
Print Post  
I'm amazed they can do this after a high Court decision. They would need a pretty strong case or think the $$ to battle this back in court are worth it. A real shame.

I'm happy to chip in again if a court case looms. The issue with all hunting is that we don't have a United policital voice. Maybe GAC will do this for us, we shall see.

I compare this to the traction legaSea has made in the last 5 years. They fight for the recreational Fisherman politically, across the entire country.

IP Logged

outdoorlad
Forum Font

Reply #7 - Jun 11th, 2018 at 6:56pm
Print Post  
What is it with DOC, they just can’t be trusted, they lose in court and then want to pull this shit!

IP Logged

LOVETT
Forum Font

Hunting the Kaweka, Ruahine
& Tararua Forest Parks

Reply #8 - Jun 12th, 2018 at 10:33am
Print Post  
For me the argument isn't related to deer numbers, actually the questions I have don't relate to deer so much at all.

What I want to know is:

Why are commercial users given preference over recreational users? 

Imagine the uproar if you weren't allowed to tramp any longer only join guided walks??? Similar thing.  But because hunting isn't PC the Greenies are against us.

Cheers, Dan

YOU'LL LEARN NO HARM FROM THE HILLS - NEWTON MCCONOCHIE

IP Logged

Tararua Hunter
Forum Font

Reply #9 - Jun 12th, 2018 at 12:01pm
Print Post  
First "consultation meeting for the Lower North island is to be held at
DOC Palmerston North
28 North Street
Wednesday June 20th at 7:00pm

If your in a hunting club/NZDA branch, check with your president or whoever. DOC only notifying clubs, I gather. But if individuals want to go, then just turn up.
otherwise, email Reg Kemper at rkemper@doc.govt.nz
or Duncan Toogood at dtoogood@doc.govt.nz

There will also be meetings for Hawkes Bay, Wairarapa and Wellington hunters.
Willpost these when know

Don't have your say, don't complain

PS, there will be similar consultation meetings held by DOC thoughout the rest of the country, as I understand it.

IP Logged

Sika 243
Donor Member

Reply #10 - Jun 12th, 2018 at 2:37pm
Print Post  
Speaking of apathy, I was surprised to read in the latest NZ hunter about the number of people that responded to the ruahine hunter survey last year was only 120 or so from over 2300 issued permits which is about 5%

Hopefully we can do better this time as it only took 5 mins to do

IP Logged

awaterelad
Donor Member

bloody work, i should
be hunting

Reply #11 - Jun 12th, 2018 at 3:21pm
Print Post  
i have another donation too for court costs if needed.

IP Logged

Max
Donor Member

Reply #12 - Jun 12th, 2018 at 3:47pm
Print Post  
LOVETT wrote on Jun 12th, 2018 at 10:33am:
For me the argument isn't related to deer numbers, actually the questions I have don't relate to deer so much at all.

What I want to know is:

Why are commercial users given preference over recreational users? 

Imagine the uproar if you weren't allowed to tramp any longer only join guided walks??? Similar thing.  But because hunting isn't PC the Greenies are against us.

Cheers, Dan

At a guess it could well be to do with the fact that (IIRC) when the SI WARO guys hired their QC to bat their corner for heli-hunting it was established (?) that activity was mandated/controlled by the WAC Act,  and not the Conservation Act.

So by inference the DoC view might be that hunting does not fit the Conservation Act description of 'recreational activity' and so is not subject to the hierarchy that Act seems to require?

Kinda suspect S23(c)of the WAC Act is a bit more useful here?

Quote:
23 Matters to which Minister to have regard in considering application for concession

In considering an application for a concession under section 22, the Minister must have regard not only to the matters specified in section 17U (other than subsection (3)) of the Conservation Act 1987 (as applied by section 22), but also to—

(a) the provisions of the Act under which the land concerned is held and the purposes for which that land is held; and

(b) the purposes of this Act; and

(c) the role of persons engaged in hunting for recreation in achieving the purposes of this Act.

TH will know whether that got much traction in the LNIRDF court action?

IP Logged

Tararua Hunter
Forum Font

Reply #13 - Jun 12th, 2018 at 5:03pm
Print Post  
Quote:
TH will know whether that got much traction in the LNIRDF court action?

MAX, that was one of the grounds for the court challenge. The judged rule against DOC on this

But the WAC act does give priority over one (WARO) or the other (rec hunting). Or visaversa

But the Conservation act provision re "foster recreation" does include rec hunting (DOC policies)
so it can be argued that where rec hunters can control deer, they should have preference over commercial hunting

That's an argument that DOC haven't bought into yet. (although RHAs are examples of this, as are all the other areas Closed to WARO

IP Logged

Alan
Administrator
Donor Member
Staff

Reply #14 - Jun 13th, 2018 at 5:18pm
Print Post  
bushwanderer wrote on Jun 11th, 2018 at 6:23pm:
I'm amazed they can do this after a high Court decision. They would need a pretty strong case or think the $$ to battle this back in court are worth it. A real shame.

I'm happy to chip in again if a court case looms. The issue with all hunting is that we don't have a United policital voice. Maybe GAC will do this for us, we shall see.

I compare this to the traction legaSea has made in the last 5 years. They fight for the recreational Fisherman politically, across the entire country.

Well we try NZ Outdoors Party, but most hunters dont support us so we can only do so much until hunters actually stand up and do get involved. Most will go hunting rather than sit in meetings hence doc, ospri and the like walk all over us! cause they love meetings! Grin Grin Grin
I'd hold your breath about GAC doing anything! they are hamstrung by doc and funding...

Co-leader NZ Outdoors Party http://www.outdoorsparty.co.nz
Book. Born to The Outdoors http://www.alan-simmons.com/book
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards