Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Anyone in Northland area? (Read 747 times)
Whimpy
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Anyone in Northland area?
Jun 5th, 2018 at 3:25pm
Print Post  
Hey everyone, I知 sure it痴 been asked before. But I知 looking for somebody that knows some good hunting areas around the northland area for goats or pigs.  I知 kinda new to the whole bigger game hunting, but wouldn稚 mind getting out and shooting my new rifle. I come from a 4000 acre farm with thousands of possums/rabbits and turkeys if anyone wants to exchange their spots for mine  Grin

IP Logged

JaffaHunter
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Re: Anyone in Northland area?
Reply #1 - Jun 5th, 2018 at 3:46pm
Print Post  
I imagine it would be hard to hunt pigs without dogs in northland but I'm sure there are spots - never hunted past Auckland sorry.
Pop down to the Taupiri ranges near Huntly if you're after a goat as a farmer I spoke to mentioned that they are always walking into his land from the bush there.

If you want to be guaranteed a goat go to any public land fragment in the Kawhia/Pirongia region.

Happy to shoot some of those possums if you want them gone. Dad's from Waimate North so I know how thick they are there.

IP Logged

Whimpy
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #2 - Jun 5th, 2018 at 4:05pm
Print Post  
Thank you very much for the reply. I値l look into those spots. I don稚 mind driving a few hours. And yep, lots of possums here. I知 always out shooting the bastards!

IP Logged

Maddoghunter
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #3 - Jun 5th, 2018 at 5:55pm
Print Post  
Kaihu or Tutamoe.

IP Logged

RuahineRowan
Forum Senior

Reply #4 - Jun 6th, 2018 at 7:49pm
Print Post  
Where about's are you up north? I'm up Mangonui far north, pigs are born sprinting up here and cunning ghostly things  Grin your best bet is private access that isn't hunted too much(waiting on bush edge) or finding a well used trail and setting up a trail cam, on my place they seem to come through the same time every morning within the hour. Be careful where you go, sometimes doc land isn't doc land according to some locals. Puketi and Omahuta are places where everyone can go with nice bush. Good luck, I'm fairly new as well.

IP Logged

LOVETT
Forum Font

Hunting the Kaweka, Ruahine
& Tararua Forest Parks

Reply #5 - Jun 7th, 2018 at 7:56am
Print Post  
RuahineRowan wrote on Jun 6th, 2018 at 7:49pm:
Where about's are you up north? I'm up Mangonui far north, pigs are born sprinting up here and cunning ghostly things Grin your best bet is private access that isn't hunted too much(waiting on bush edge) or finding a well used trail and setting up a trail cam, on my place they seem to come through the same time every morning within the hour. Be careful where you go, sometimes doc land isn't doc land according to some locals. Puketi and Omahuta are places where everyone can go with nice bush. Good luck, I'm fairly new as well.

The old man lives at Karikari and has seen pig track for the past 8 years.  Only seen one the once.  Real cunning.

YOU'LL LEARN NO HARM FROM THE HILLS - NEWTON MCCONOCHIE

IP Logged

Whimpy
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #6 - Jun 7th, 2018 at 7:28pm
Print Post  
RuahineRowan wrote on Jun 6th, 2018 at 7:49pm:
Where about's are you up north? I'm up Mangonui far north, pigs are born sprinting up here and cunning ghostly things Grin your best bet is private access that isn't hunted too much(waiting on bush edge) or finding a well used trail and setting up a trail cam, on my place they seem to come through the same time every morning within the hour. Be careful where you go, sometimes doc land isn't doc land according to some locals. Puketi and Omahuta are places where everyone can go with nice bush. Good luck, I'm fairly new as well.

I知 around Whangarei area, towards Pipiwai. I値l have venture north one day. I love it up north.. especially Mangonui. Awesome fishing up there too.

IP Logged

RuahineRowan
Forum Senior

Reply #7 - Jun 8th, 2018 at 10:13pm
Print Post  
LOVETT wrote on Jun 7th, 2018 at 7:56am:
The old man lives at Karikari and has seen pig track for the past 8 years.  Only seen one the once.  Real cunning

Bloody nice spot out that way, Tokerau Beach is one the best around here. The pigs are different up here, some places they're chased every few days making them extremely fast and on to it, got to have good dogs to catch them up here by the sounds of it.

Whimpy wrote on Jun 7th, 2018 at 7:28pm:
I知 around Whangarei area, towards Pipiwai. I値l have venture north one day. I love it up north.. especially Mangonui. Awesome fishing up there too

Yeah far north is awesome, it's not really proper northland until you're past kerikeri imo, there's some unbelievable places up here. Nice patch of paradise  Smiley I'm off for a stalk tomorrow morning, I have a deal with a landowner if I get one at mine I can shoot on his place Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards