Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Barrel Break-in (Read 1606 times)
STI
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Barrel Break-in
Reply #15 - Jun 6th, 2018 at 11:51am
Print Post  
stug wrote on Jun 6th, 2018 at 11:44am:
You would think you wouldn't need to break in a custom barrel, but my Trueflite Ultramatch in 7mm mag copper fouled like crazy from new. It eventually settled down after a few hundred shots down it.
At the start it took 24hrs of regular patching and soaking overnight with Boretech Eliminator to remove the copper from one shot.

To be fair I only brought the Truflight as no one else had a .375 barrel when I needed one.

I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either..

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #16 - Jun 6th, 2018 at 1:04pm
Print Post  
Mathias wrote on Jun 6th, 2018 at 10:41am:
Matt-JC wrote on Jun 6th, 2018 at 10:24am:
i was told by a decent gunsmith, that breaking a barrel in, was essentially just smoothing the rough spots off the edges of the rifling lands, to help settle the barrel in..

my 2c worth..  Shocked

This is essentially correct. Another term used is burnishing. Fire, clean, fire, clean. The bullet is smoothing things off, in laymen terms.
I once bought a Rem Model 7 that had been shot a lot but I doubt had been cleaned properly from new as it was a copper mine. Took ages to clean out and I basically had to start from scratch as if new to slow the copper fouling down.

Yeah, I've got a second hand gun here that was re-barreled 1961 in Germany. I've had it probably forty years and while the rifling is still sharp and clean, and it's accurate enough, it has always been something of a bugger to clean.
Have put a few rounds through it too - just never seems to have smoothed out which has had me wondering the previous owner's cleaning regime.
I'm fairly anal about cleaning - comes from shooting black powder I suppose.

IP Logged

Trout
Donor Member

Top NZ WhiteTail

Reply #17 - Jun 6th, 2018 at 4:54pm
Print Post  
Shoot,clean,shoot clean,sight in,clean,sigth in for yr zero.No more cleaning and shoot 3 cold bore shots,one each morning checking yr zero.Go Hunting. Wink

Shot a few deer,caugth some big trout and salmon

IP Logged

Flintlock
Donor Member

Reply #18 - Jun 6th, 2018 at 8:42pm
Print Post  
The only way you can hurt a barrel when cleaning it is to rub the bore , or more usually the chamber/ throat area with the cleaning rod , especially those horrid soft brass or alloy take down rods , or sometimes but less likely, by using certain bore cleaners like shooters choice and sweets one after the other, that combination leaves a deposit that is almost impossible to remove .

Shooting is the most fun you can legally have with your clothes on .
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

IP Logged

Pete82
Donor Member

Aren't we lucky?

Reply #19 - Jun 6th, 2018 at 9:38pm
Print Post  
When you cleaning, make sure (NOT) to follow these instructions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7skus7HWi_8

Grin Grin

Jokes aside, when I asked Grant from Trueflite this questions here is what he replied:

"You can do no harm by shoot one, clean, shoot 2, clean, shoot three, and clean.... then shoot a group and see how she goes.... if its accurate and does not copper foul, then all good....if you get some copper fouling then clean and polish bore using JB's bore brite or similar...."

I did it like he said and all good. Regular careful cleaning cannot harm the bore if you are using good tools. I got carbon cleaning rod which has a bearing inside the handle and that works really good. Would never touch cheap fold-down rods!

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #20 - Jun 6th, 2018 at 10:02pm
Print Post  
Pete82 wrote on Jun 6th, 2018 at 9:38pm:
.if you get some copper fouling then clean and polish bore using JB's bore brite or similar...."

That's worth knowing - will try it on my German.

Flintlock wrote on Jun 6th, 2018 at 8:42pm:
by using certain bore cleaners like shooters choice and sweets one after the other, that combination leaves a deposit that is almost impossible to remove .

That too - though I never used either of those.

As for rods, I've got one piece stainless range rods - not too portable though, so for the hills I use a woven wire pull through to pull out moisture and crud.
Did that to my brother in law's gun after some heavy rain whilst still in the bush and pulled rust.

"Where the hell that come from ?"

Have never forgot him saying that.

Water will get in there whether it's taped or not.

IP Logged

STI
Forum Font

Reply #21 - Jun 6th, 2018 at 11:22pm
Print Post  
Flintlock wrote on Jun 6th, 2018 at 8:42pm:
The only way you can hurt a barrel when cleaning it is to rub the bore , or more usually the chamber/ throat area with the cleaning rod , especially those horrid soft brass or alloy take down rods , or sometimes but less likely, by using certain bore cleaners like shooters choice and sweets one after the other, that combination leaves a deposit that is almost impossible to remove .

Wipe Out bore foam. No scrubbing needed

I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either..

IP Logged

10-Ring
Donor Member

Reply #22 - Jun 6th, 2018 at 11:23pm
Print Post  
Have done the break in procedure on plenty of rifles in the past but no longer bother.

Currently, my most accurate rifles are a Sako 85 .308 and a Tikka T3X light 6.5 Creedmoor and no break in procedure was used with either. Copper fouling is minimal in both.

Still, it can't hurt if you can be bothered to do it.

‘the price of freedom is eternal vigilance’

IP Logged

BSA.270
Just Joined

NO REST FOR THE WICKED

Reply #23 - Nov 4th, 2018 at 9:07pm
Print Post  
Been a while but a bit of an update,
Went through the Bergara break in process with some Hornady Superformance 129gr, sighted it in at the same time, got groups down to 1.3inches which is ok. Took rifle out to cull some goats a couple of weeks later and used some Hornady american whitetail which I think(and felt) like it shot better, (Im guessing because a little less hot than the superformance), everything landed where I was aiming which was pleasing. Couple photos attached hope they work.

BSA CF2 .270, Leupold VX1 3x9x40
B14 HMR 6.5CM, Vortex 6x24x50

IP Logged

JaSa

Know your (rifles) limits

Reply #24 - Nov 4th, 2018 at 9:42pm
Print Post  
Mine loves the Hornady Precision Hunter Ammo which uses the 143gr ELD-X projectile. Used a box to break her in (clean, shot, clean, shot, clean, 2x shot, clean, 3x shot, clean, 5x shot, clean 5x shot, clean), zero on 100m and to give me some brass to start reloading.

Hornady Precision Hunter Ammo 3-shot group @ 100m after 20 shots:

Reloaded 4-shot group @ 100m:

Make sure you give the Hornady Precision Hunter Ammo a go as well. No need to reload for precision really but only for price...

Cheers,
JaSa

IP Logged

Billyboila

Reply #25 - Nov 9th, 2018 at 7:47am
Print Post  
Read the istruction manual that comes with guaranteed MOA rifles. You wont find instructions saying fire 1, clean, fire 1,clean...
Having said that, going thru that process does no harm and gives you peace of mind you have covered all bases.
I love the common sense approach of this guy and all of his vids.
How to Prepare, and Care for a New Gun ~ The Break In Process ... https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jCIi-SklcP8

Which is worse, ignorance or apathy? Who knows? Who cares?

IP Logged

JaSa

Know your (rifles) limits

Reply #26 - Nov 9th, 2018 at 6:40pm
Print Post  
Billyboila wrote on Nov 9th, 2018 at 7:47am:
Read the istruction manual that comes with guaranteed MOA rifles. You wont find instructions saying fire 1, clean, fire 1,clean...

Yep, they do  Wink :

IP Logged

Billyboila

Reply #27 - Nov 9th, 2018 at 7:19pm
Print Post  
Dragged out my Sako and Kimber manual and there's nothing.  I would have thought if it was so damn important it would be in there.

Which is worse, ignorance or apathy? Who knows? Who cares?

IP Logged

6.5x55bjai
Donor Member

Reply #28 - Nov 9th, 2018 at 7:41pm
Print Post  
Billyboila wrote on Nov 9th, 2018 at 7:47am:
Having said that, going thru that process does no harm and gives you peace of mind you have covered all bases.
I love the common sense approach of this guy and all of his vids.
How to Prepare, and Care for a New Gun ~ The Break In Process ... https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jCIi-SklcP8

Whew, sorry mate, I just plain gave up on that guy. My attention span as I have got older is not so tolerant, mmm adaptable. Thought his next one on solvents would be good but gave up on that too.  An hour and 11 minutes odd??

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards