Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Barrel Break-in (Read 794 times)
BSA.270
Just Joined

NO REST FOR THE WICKED

Barrel Break-in
Jun 4th, 2018 at 7:11pm
Print Post  
Just brought a new rifle Cheesy, probably going to follow manufacturers instructions, but interested to hear others process's/thoughts...

BSA CF2 .270, Leupold VX1 3x9x40
B14 HMR 6.5CM, Vortex 6x24x50

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Re: Barrel Break-in
Reply #1 - Jun 4th, 2018 at 8:35pm
Print Post  
1 shot,clean...1 shot clean,,,, 3 shots clean...3 shots clean...3 shots clean.... call it good and go shoot something. Grin

IP Logged

JaSa

Know your (rifles) limits

Reply #2 - Jun 4th, 2018 at 10:13pm
Print Post  
Micky Duck wrote on Jun 4th, 2018 at 8:35pm:
1 shot,clean...1 shot clean,,,, 3 shots clean...3 shots clean...3 shots clean.... call it good and go shoot something. Grin

Agree - but clean before the first shot to get anything out that ended up in the barrel during manufacturing - like fine metal dust and oil.

IP Logged

6.5x55bjai

Reply #3 - Jun 5th, 2018 at 8:17am
Print Post  
Ha ha love this perennial topic. Someone will be along soon to quote Gale McMillan.

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #4 - Jun 5th, 2018 at 9:29am
Print Post  
BSA.270 wrote on Jun 4th, 2018 at 7:11pm:
Just brought a new rifle Cheesy, probably going to follow manufacturers instructions, but interested to hear others process's/thoughts...

What does the manufacturer suggest - am curious.

IP Logged

BSA.270
Just Joined

NO REST FOR THE WICKED

Reply #5 - Jun 5th, 2018 at 10:14am
Print Post  
SF90 wrote on Jun 5th, 2018 at 9:29am:
BSA.270 wrote on Jun 4th, 2018 at 7:11pm:

What does the manufacturer suggest - am curious.

Hey SF,  manufacturers instructions are,
For the first 5 shots clean after each shot, For the next 50 shots clean after every 10 shots, Then for subsequent shots clean as you would clean normally.

IP Logged

Vulcan
Forum Font

Reply #6 - Jun 5th, 2018 at 10:39am
Print Post  
I've never worried about barrel break-in. I'm more worried about finding the ammo the gun likes. It's amazing the differences you get between ammo and guns, some guns like cheap stuff, others like expensive stuff. Taking the time to figure out which ammo your gun likes is a better thing to do imho.

IP Logged

Flintlock
Donor Member

Reply #7 - Jun 5th, 2018 at 1:54pm
Print Post  
Go with what the factory says , Different manufacturers use different steel , different boring and rifling techniques and may or may not lap the bore, with different tolerances  different heat treating . Most blued barrels are blued on the inside as well as the outside , you just cant see it , and may need more breaking in than stainless.
Be careful cleaning the bore , use a stainless one piece rod and quality bore cleaners , there are a lot on the market .
Use a bore guide and make sure the rod is centered in the bore and never touches the sides .
dont let the barrel get too hot to touch .
Will it make a difference ?With barrels costing the factory from a few dollars to hundreds and as each barrel is an individual I believe it is better to be safe than sorry .

Shooting is the most fun you can legally have with your clothes on .
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #8 - Jun 5th, 2018 at 3:09pm
Print Post  
BSA.270 wrote on Jun 5th, 2018 at 10:14am:
Hey SF,  manufacturers instructions are,
For the first 5 shots clean after each shot, For the next 50 shots clean after every 10 shots, Then for subsequent shots clean as you would clean normally.

I'd be inclined to follow the instructions, there's a lot of talk about whether it's worth the bother - but where's the harm in doing it.

I did with my gun - wiped with Hoppes between shots and after 3000+ rounds have never seen a hint of copper fouling.

And edit ........

And as for wearing your barrel out doing it, what a lot of hogwash, you'll be shooting those rounds out of it anyway - sighting it in, and I think Micky's already said that.

IP Logged

BSA.270
Just Joined

NO REST FOR THE WICKED

Reply #9 - Jun 5th, 2018 at 5:47pm
Print Post  
After further investigation the manual and the makers website kind of contradict each other. Owell, I'm gonna break it in anyway just to be safe,  but will buy several different brands of ammo and see what it likes  Smiley

IP Logged

Sika 9
Donor Member

Onwards and upwards

Reply #10 - Jun 5th, 2018 at 6:34pm
Print Post  
Ive done it as described and also just sighted in and gone hunting and have not noticed any difference in performance personally. I do clean my barrel/barrels after every shot or sighting in period at the range though. Probably dosnt do any harm though. My 2cents

Every hunt is successful, pulling the trigger is a bonus;)

IP Logged

Matt-JC
Donor Member

Hunting & Mtbing

Reply #11 - Jun 6th, 2018 at 10:24am
Print Post  
All these different ideas make you wonder about the guarantee's from different manufacturers about shooting under a moa from the factory...

Do those manufacturers break the barrel in before it leaves the factory ??

i was told by a decent gunsmith, that breaking a barrel in, was essentially just smoothing the rough spots off the edges of the rifling lands, to help settle the barrel in..

my 2c worth..  Shocked

there is always plenty of time for procrastination.

IP Logged

Mathias

A man can never have too
many guns!

Reply #12 - Jun 6th, 2018 at 10:41am
Print Post  
Matt-JC wrote on Jun 6th, 2018 at 10:24am:
i was told by a decent gunsmith, that breaking a barrel in, was essentially just smoothing the rough spots off the edges of the rifling lands, to help settle the barrel in..

my 2c worth..  Shocked

This is essentially correct. Another term used is burnishing. Fire, clean, fire, clean. The bullet is smoothing things off, in laymen terms.
I once bought a Rem Model 7 that had been shot a lot but I doubt had been cleaned properly from new as it was a copper mine. Took ages to clean out and I basically had to start from scratch as if new to slow the copper fouling down.

IP Logged

STI
Forum Font

Reply #13 - Jun 6th, 2018 at 11:31am
Print Post  
Personally I think its a myth perpetrated by barrel makers, it also depends on the type of rifle you are taking about. A cheap 7-800 doller retail barrel is most likely $20-50 manufacturers cost and finished very quickly / mimal care taken so It may have some truth on cheap factory barrels where the finish can be a bit rough to say the least but from personal experience properly finished/lapped custom barrels neither need to be or should be. Why would you waste some of the barrel life essentially for................ nothing.
A good custom barrel costs upwards of a $1000 fitted and chambered and if its in a magnum calibre the first 1000 rounds are most likely the most accurate so why wast some of them.
I have currently a Rock Creek barrel on my .223 , Shilen on my 6.5SAUM and a Trueflite Ultra Match on my 375WSM all are easy cleaning and shoot well but the Rock Creek and Shilen shoot significantly better than the True flight.

I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either..

IP Logged

stug
Forum Font

Reply #14 - Jun 6th, 2018 at 11:44am
Print Post  
You would think you wouldn't need to break in a custom barrel, but my Trueflite Ultramatch in 7mm mag copper fouled like crazy from new. It eventually settled down after a few hundred shots down it.
At the start it took 24hrs of regular patching and soaking overnight with Boretech Eliminator to remove the copper from one shot.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards