Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Baikal Artemide Double (Read 386 times)
DDD
Just Joined

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Baikal Artemide Double
Jun 2nd, 2018 at 9:54pm
Print Post  
Hi
I am looking for a Baikal MP221 Artemide double rifle in 30-06
If you know of one or have one for sale please pm me
Thanks
DDD
« Last Edit: Jun 3rd, 2018 at 11:05pm by DDD »  

IP Logged

itrh

The FishNhunt Forum looks
interesting

Re: Baikal Artemide Double
Reply #1 - Jun 15th, 2018 at 9:30pm
Print Post  
maybe one in Elios Gunshop, Dunedin, ph 03 4555 783, hardly used, but why in .30'06?  Double rifles were built for rimmed cartridges!  Rimless cartridges work in (and were designed for bolt [magazine] rifles).

IP Logged

noelfj
Forum Font

Reply #2 - Jun 16th, 2018 at 8:04am
Print Post  
Using a rimless case in a break action rifle is not as "nice" as using a rimmed case, I modified a 12 gauge shotgun to 303 British and it was about right, the just about bit was the action not was configured ideally for the case size.
The Baikal Artemide Double is based on just the right sized action and would be ideal chambered for the big Russian 30 cal. rimmed case.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #3 - Jun 16th, 2018 at 9:32am
Print Post  
they come in .45/70......my "one day when funds are spare" dream rifle for bush hunting.
the rimmed bit wont matter...if you cant kill it with 2 rounds of dirty06 you either cant shoot for shit or the makers of Jurassic Park will make a fortune from the movie rights. my theory is to find out which barrel is closest to sights/most accurate and develope load for that one barrel....load second barrel with big heavy slower cast loads...so you can whallop close animal in the bush without using accurate /expensive load and have 2nd one instantly if needed...
if thats what you want to buy/own you go for it Wink

IP Logged

DDD
Just Joined

Reply #4 - Jun 17th, 2018 at 7:50am
Print Post  
Have not been on here for a while.
Thanks itrh will follow up on that info.

Rimless cartridges are said to be less than ideal however these rifles were as far as I know only available in NZ in 30-06 and 45-70.
I have one in 45-70 so another in 30-06 would be a nice 'pair'.

DDD

IP Logged

noelfj
Forum Font

Reply #5 - Jun 17th, 2018 at 8:00pm
Print Post  
Double Barrel

A double barrel rifle always appealed to me, especially as my main hunting was in the bush with some long shots, but mostly at open sight range.
The configuration of a double rifle is such as that it is best with a rimmed cartridge, just like a shotgun.
This is how I went about converting a under and over Baikal shotgun to a 303 British double rifle.
There are a few double rifles around and I made a point of examining them to get an idea of proportion and found the barrels to be unbelievably thin so I used the formula s=p*(R<+r<)/(R<-R<), whereby s=lbs/sq”, p=pressure/sq”, R=od radius”,r=id radius.
Juggling the od. around for a 30 cal. Showed that a 0.625 od barrel had a metal stress in lbs/sq” of about equal to the chamber pressure according to all the research I managed, yet the yield stress of the barrel steel about 2.5 times that of the chamber pressure or better than 2 to 1 for that od.
Then I looked at the forward and aft pressure, that is the force on the action face supporting, for the shotgun at 16000 lbs chamber pressure it was about 8000 lbs, for the 303 chamber at 50000 lbs chamber pressure it was near enough the same.
Then I looked at the rearward force action on the action and stock, and the force required to accelerate the barrels in the rearward direction, bearing in mind that the rifling applied a force away from the action. Research in the British Military publication satisfying my concerns, I cannot remember the details of this, as, it was over 40 years ago.

The Baikal barrels are fitted into a part called the monoblock, the mono block is the bit that holds the barrels and contains the locking lugs, a very good example is the Baikal single shot firearm. Common practise seems to be the monblock system rather than the forged barrel method.
In my project the barrels were held into the monoblock with a cross pin and loctite, The agent for loctite who paid regular visits to the shop I worked in took an interest in the project and imported a special grade for me to use. It worked.
Tony Hawkins owner of Hawkins Arms and engineering was a good friend and we worked on some commercial design and build jobs together. Tony procured and chambered the barrels but I turned them down and finished them.
At about the same time all this was happening it became popular for trap guns to have split barrels, that is no filler between the barrels, I copied that idea as it was usual for a double rifle to be regulated for a given load, this meant mucking about endlessly soldering and re-soldering the barrel filler strips.
My way was to make up a slip on foresight, come barrel joiner, come impact adjuster which fitted at the front of the barrels, a work of art, magnificence in its inspiration and execution, I was very proud of it and it worked very, very well.
The bluing was carried out by a professional.
The woodwork was left as original.
I sold it to Ron Dent.
I do have on hand another almost finished monoblock for a Browning 12 gauge superposed shotgun available for some as a project

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards