Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic a pet in hand (Read 761 times)
264Magic
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

a pet in hand
Jun 1st, 2018 at 9:23am
Print Post  
txt young fella of micky,,not available to go for hunt,,so tried rumpy too busy,,real estate agent next and thats scraping the barrel
its just me and the 300wsm.go to one of my fav spots as its fairly handy,,today i wanted to go way out the back and try my hand at some long range stuff as im fairly confident with the new rifle,,put 6 shots thru it before i left and even the cold bore shot hit the bullseye,,so its 2 inches high at 150 and using the bdc i should have no trouble out to 500.grunted up the steep hill and sat down up on top to do some glassing to see two big wallys enjoying the last rays of the sun,,far to close at 400,,no sign of any deer
headed down the steep pinch into a bit of a saddle to see a wee black spiker looking up the hill as to who was making all the noise,,now as id prepared myself for long range i had left the rifle empty but thankfully did put some rounds into my pouch,,while i was debating if i should shoot him he quietly pushed under the scrub and dissapered behind the big broad-leaf that was conveniently there for him to hide behind,,loaded up and decided that a pet in the hand was worth 20 wild ones in the bush,,sat down and he come out onto the top of the clearing and kaboomfa a fatal hit,,he was only 70 yrds away Roll Eyes(so much for long range)found him piled up just inside the bush,,went about 15 yrds all told and there was a big spray of blood were the projectile hit him
a quiet walk out and back at the car just on dark without a need for the torch,,as usual rumpy will post pic of kill(cheers mate)

It is much better to Hit the Animal in the right place, with a Rifle you can shoot well, then to hit it poorly with a Large Calibre..John Nosler

IP Logged

Rumpy
Donor Member

Wishing I was out in the
hills.

Re: a pet in hand
Reply #1 - Jun 1st, 2018 at 10:15am
Print Post  

Good stuff mate. Be good to see a long shot one day.

.270 WIN   AWESOME SINCE 1925       "REMEMBER THE 6 P's" POOR PREPARATION PROVIDES PISS POOR PERFORMANCE

IP Logged

Trout
Donor Member

Top NZ WhiteTail

Reply #2 - Jun 1st, 2018 at 7:25pm
Print Post  
Well done mate,size of a big black Lab.Enjoy the young veni. Wink

Shot a few deer,caugth some big trout and salmon

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #3 - Jun 4th, 2018 at 3:50pm
Print Post  
one less wee fella in the hills now...great to hear new bangstick is working out for you Mate.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards