Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Farm Manager who doesn't understand how to deal with public! (Read 2907 times)
Deer Whisperer

Talk the deer to death

Farm Manager who doesn't understand how to deal with public!
May 30th, 2018 at 2:32pm
Print Post  
I used to hunt Rocklands Station until this Farm Manager Matthew Middlemass took over.
His attitude in phone conversations and a face to face encounter were what I would describe as aggressive and rude towards myself.
I had a great relationship with previous Farm Manager who was a top man who understood working with recreational users was a positive for the farm and show in respect to others in turn gets you respect back.
What really gets me annoyed the most is Matt's attitude that he thinks he can be a sheriff and run around up there trying to intimidate people to stay out of a recreational area for hunting and fishing.
Why is it since he has taken over all these issues are now happening...I can give th a answer...don't piss public users off by running around thinking you are the police!
And for the record Matt...maybe you and your boys should stop spot light in the public road and DOC!
It's quite obvious he wants the whole place to himself....well he ain't getting it and I like others are entitled to use the public access and I'm not answerable to him what I'm doing up there...
I'm all do safety...but treat people with respect Matt and you will find you and your farm will be respected also...
Lastly I never saw one poacher or dishonest act from member of public when I hunted the station...but I have a feeling Matt doesn't want to hear the truth and merely wants to have full control for himself and his workers so they can play hunt however they want!

IP Logged

Deer Whisperer

Talk the deer to death

Re: Farm Manager who doesn't understand how to deal with public!
Reply #1 - May 30th, 2018 at 2:35pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

Old School

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #2 - May 30th, 2018 at 3:45pm
Print Post  
Sounds a proper co*k.
Complained to council and Police but wasnt listened to , possibly so because they have read him like a book.
Thats the trouble with some landowners , they forget where the actual boundarys are .
He should buy some land up here in the Bay of Plenty and try it on with some of the locals , because they would make life hell for him.

IP Logged

Deer Whisperer

Talk the deer to death

Reply #3 - May 30th, 2018 at 4:47pm
Print Post  
Yep..my guess is he is getting pay back from some Recreation users he has crossed...lucky for him I am a level headed character with a goid moral compass!...treat enuff people like crap and you will get it straight back at you....
His attitude made me realise what a top block the last farm manager was Vaughn...pity he moved away up pleasant point...
I wouldn't be at all surprised if this guy Matt is making a lot of his gripes up or causing them in the first place hence no one willing to help him out...my bet is his lovely personality isn't going down well with other authorities as you point out Old School.

IP Logged

fletty
Forum Senior

Reply #4 - May 30th, 2018 at 8:17pm
Print Post  
This is my second attempt at replying to this thread, the first one didnt come across to well. Im disappointed that this is even on here, two people that need to put the shoe on the other foot and see how they feel if it was there place getting ripped up ect, find some where else to hunt and get on with it, There are a lot of idiots who are making it hard to get on to properties as it is with out this rubbish.

Enough said. Fletty

IP Logged

southotago hern

Meat hunter for life

Reply #5 - May 30th, 2018 at 8:21pm
Print Post  
Yeah the dude has short man syndrome I worked with him on a station down south years ago real chip on his shoulder. But Rocklands is one of about 5 propety's owned by the cross brother's most of there manager's are reasonable. He'll be spewing when I hunt rocklands with member's of the shareholder's . But like it say's access on a public road he can't control but poaching is'nt cool either . But shurely a camera to id and prove offending would be logical way to go about it. I know last time the family had a hunt up there things were "pretty lose" so some of the damage going on may not be the public , but the public get's blamed . Plenty of poaching every where and hard to control, but if their concerns were founded then catching the culpert in the act on film would be a reasonable step I would have thought. Stay cool and don't fight him he'll get the short sharp shift as he prove's he can't handel the whole package

IP Logged

Deer Whisperer

Talk the deer to death

Reply #6 - May 30th, 2018 at 9:15pm
Print Post  
fletty wrote on May 30th, 2018 at 8:17pm:
This is my second attempt at replying to this thread, the first one didnt come across to well. Im disappointed that this is even on here, two people that need to put the shoe on the other foot and see how they feel if it was there place getting ripped up ect, find some where else to hunt and get on with it, There are a lot of idiots who are making it hard to get on to properties as it is with out this rubbish.

Enough said. Fletty

No one is saying ripping up.property or rustling farm animals is acceptable. That type of behaviour is not condoned by myself...
But neither is a farm manager who thinks he can control public access and talk to legitimate recreational users in a disrespectful and angry manner!
He chose to move from Southland to a farm with significant DOC and Fish and Game public access...he needs to accept this and not create a beat up of misuse when those who use this public land regularly know his own and workers practices are to be fair questionable and not in line with the standards je expects crom others...It's not about him not letting others on the farm to hunt...but more about his self appointed sheriff's badge he wears and attitude towards motorcyclists, hunters and fisherman in the area...nerve was there these unmanageable issues he is talking about...his attitude is the first thing he needs to adjust if he wants people to.listen.and adjust their attitudes!

IP Logged

Sika 9
Donor Member

Onwards and upwards

Reply #7 - May 30th, 2018 at 9:25pm
Print Post  
Deer Whisperer wrote on May 30th, 2018 at 2:32pm:
I used to hunt Rocklands Station until this Farm Manager Matthew Middlemass took over.
His attitude in phone conversations and a face to face encounter were what I would describe as aggressive and rude towards myself.
I had a great relationship with previous Farm Manager who was a top man who understood working with recreational users was a positive for the farm and show in respect to others in turn gets you respect back.
What really gets me annoyed the most is Matt's attitude that he thinks he can be a sheriff and run around up there trying to intimidate people to stay out of a recreational area for hunting and fishing.
Why is it since he has taken over all these issues are now happening...I can give th a answer...don't piss public users off by running around thinking you are the police!
And for the record Matt...maybe you and your boys should stop spot light in the public road and DOC!
It's quite obvious he wants the whole place to himself....well he ain't getting it and I like others are entitled to use the public access and I'm not answerable to him what I'm doing up there...
I'm all do safety...but treat people with respect Matt and you will find you and your farm will be respected also...
Lastly I never saw one poacher or dishonest act from member of public when I hunted the station...but I have a feeling Matt doesn't want to hear the truth and merely wants to have full control for himself and his workers so they can play hunt however they want!

Grow up.

Every hunt is successful, pulling the trigger is a bonus;)

IP Logged

Deer Whisperer

Talk the deer to death

Reply #8 - May 30th, 2018 at 9:42pm
Print Post  
Sika 9....I think it's important when a Farm Manager goes public on claims of vandalism, rustling and poaching as a way of getting full control of a public road to public Recreational Land that I put out the other side of the story. Why should myself and other responsible users be in jeopardy of future access. He should do what I would have to do if someone committed a crime on my property...report it and follow proper process...I couldn't close the road I live on to protect my property and I wouldn't expect to and neither did the last Manager...surely you can see his game he is playing..

IP Logged

Old School

Reply #9 - May 30th, 2018 at 11:03pm
Print Post  
Got no time for poaching or damaging anyones property . But when landowners are a law unto themselves and try to control things outside their own boundary , then they are in my opinion Cocks.Dealt with plenty of them in my time.

IP Logged

LOVETT
Forum Font

Hunting the Kaweka, Ruahine
& Tararua Forest Parks

Reply #10 - May 31st, 2018 at 4:45am
Print Post  
Had a similar situation once. 

I said I'll be there at 5am and arrived at 4am only to see the new farm manager with his dogs team heading out to the back bush for a bark up. 

Cheers, Dan

YOU'LL LEARN NO HARM FROM THE HILLS - NEWTON MCCONOCHIE

IP Logged

gonehuntin
Forum Font

Reply #11 - May 31st, 2018 at 6:37am
Print Post  
A doc area down here I hunt has easments through station, the son of owner tries to stop all hunting as he does guided hunts. doc and wams have both told us they cant stop us and we Only have to notify them not seek permission when crossing private land (150m)  still dosent stop the tw*t leaving threatning notes and screaming down the road in his truck to stop you.  I have no time for farmers that have a lil power trip goin on just tell them to get f**ked and keep walking

IP Logged

Deer Whisperer

Talk the deer to death

Reply #12 - May 31st, 2018 at 8:29am
Print Post  
I don't stop or acknowledge myself anymore to him or his workers...shame as it was good with the previous crew stopping for a yarn and popping in for a chat...doesnt have to be this way...but he is the one who chooses to be this way and changed what was a perfectly fine hunter and fisherman relationship with farm....

IP Logged

EJL
Donor Member

Manapouri.... Heaven on
Earth

Reply #13 - May 31st, 2018 at 8:52am
Print Post  
Is an internet forum really the most appropriate place to air a grievance with one specific person?

It always seems a bit pointless and, frankly, gutless to attack someone from behind the keyboard. There's never any accountability for the person making the accusations.

I have no knowledge of this situation or the people involved but I'm sure there are two sides of the story (there always are). Regardless, there's got to be a more mature way to deal with this situation than slam the guy on this forum. Other than smearing his character, what will this achieve?

Impossible is nothing.....................

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #14 - May 31st, 2018 at 9:07am
Print Post  
EJL wrote on May 31st, 2018 at 8:52am:
Is an internet forum really the most appropriate place to air a grievance with one specific person?

It always seems a bit pointless and, frankly, gutless to attack someone from behind the keyboard. There's never any accountability for the person making the accusations.

I have no knowledge of this situation or the people involved but I'm sure there are two sides of the story (there always are). Regardless, there's got to be a more mature way to deal with this situation than slam the guy on this forum. Other than smearing his character, what will this achieve?

Im also wondering what positive effect a post such as this will have. Without any knowledge of the situation, my first impression is that its pointless to complain in this format. It just ferments yet more resentment.

It amounts to a winge without any positive outcome.

There must be a better alternative. Perhaps you write a strictly balanced and factual article for a local newspaper. That would be a far more direct and productive way to get your message across. 

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards