Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Making a good thing better. (Read 1932 times)
ICEMAN
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Making a good thing better.
May 30th, 2018 at 2:16pm
Print Post  
Sometimes you can make a good thing better, My eldest boy purchased an older but  tidy little 6.3m Kiwi kraft fitted with a nearly 18yr old 150hp two stroke Mariner a few years back. The engines condition  closely resembled a motor that had  done the 600+ hours reading on the meter, which is staggering as we probably do that many hours in 2-3 years, lol

A few  trips  within the safety of inland waters like rivers and lakes had us confident it was time to take her fishing. The boat handled the usually jumbled and close set seas superbly as we started with the closer to home trips, at rest is where these pontoon hulls really come into their own for basic rod fishing with baits, no flopping from chine to chine like a deep vee mono hull.
The downside was fuel consumption, wonderful motor and plenty of grunt, just thirsty we thought, especially after having  5 litre an hour diesel powered boats previously, lol.
After  a couple of years of hard fishing and with some long distance trips we needed something else, problem was  we liked this hull.

The boats designer and builder was amazing with his help and advice after I contacted him with a few questions, like what is its designed max speed, cruise speed etc and can we safely exceed the maximum rated horse power, I knew over powering a trailer boat can cause issues.

The suggestion was to seal the rear pod (to add more buoyancy)  before mounting the larger and approx 65kg heavier new engine, this was very simple to do.
Then Mike thought about  doing  something similar to what Madness had done with his new hull, this was two add extra pods either side, this increased the buoyancy to exceed  more than the weight of the new motor and was one of the best improvements to date. This not only increased the buoyancy but also added another 400mm to the  water line length.

The new motor has seen the fuel consumption usage reduce by   around two thirds and we have an extremely quiet smooth running motor with none of the fuming associated with older two strokes.

The aim was upgrade to a newer and theoretically  more reliable boat engine, reduce fuel costs and more importantly have more immediate power on hand if needed when working a treacherous river mouth bar crossing.

Mike exceeded my expectations with the upgrades to his boat and now has a very nice motor he can  attach onto his next hull if and when he decides he wants to  go bigger, lol

before modifications

after

Trials

the reason we do it.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Re: Making a good thing better.
Reply #1 - Jun 11th, 2018 at 8:11pm
Print Post  
Looks great Iceman. Im envious Smiley

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

ICEMAN
Forum Font

Reply #2 - Jun 11th, 2018 at 10:42pm
Print Post  
headcase wrote on Jun 11th, 2018 at 8:11pm:
Looks great Iceman. Im envious Smiley

This post was really just to show that a 20yr old boat can be improved on or altered to meet differing needs, and for lot less money than  trying to sell and upgrade.

IP Logged

Gerald
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #3 - Aug 20th, 2018 at 8:42pm
Print Post  
A steep boat, you can take a lot of friends and go for a whole day swimming, to catch a lot of fish. But still you need to know about fishing sling packs so that you do not have to forget to take anything with you, since these things can turn out to be the most important for your catch

IP Logged

ICEMAN
Forum Font

Reply #4 - Oct 18th, 2018 at 11:26am
Print Post  
This post deserthead, gives an idea of what Mike did. The Mariner was an awesome engine, but a tad thirsty at 30+ litres cruising.

IP Logged

X-POACHER-YEAH RYT
Donor Member

Have you ever hunted Middle
Earth?

Reply #5 - Oct 18th, 2018 at 12:13pm
Print Post  
Nice Ice, grandkids add a new dimension to enjoyable fishing/hunting trips. Great, when you don't have to catch fish to earn a living?  Grin

Get as close as you can, then get a bit closer.

IP Logged

ICEMAN
Forum Font

Reply #6 - Oct 18th, 2018 at 2:27pm
Print Post  
X-POACHER-YEAH RYT wrote on Oct 18th, 2018 at 12:13pm:
Nice Ice, grandkids add a new dimension to enjoyable fishing/hunting trips. Great, when you don't have to catch fish to earn a living?  Grin

No argument from me X,  well maybe x poacher, lol
The eldest holding the snapper has just turned 8 and funnily enough as well as hunting and fishing she loves motorbikes, lol

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards