Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic 44 mag bush rifle (Read 755 times)
Bowunter

Shoot to thrill

44 mag bush rifle
May 28th, 2018 at 9:04pm
Print Post  
Hey guys. Thinking about a 44 magnum bush rifle (Dead set on the 44).

What kind of rifle does everyone recommend for such a setup? Thinking lever action or bolt. Possibly a single shot (Like the bergara). Keen to chuck a DPT can and Leupold scope on it.

Cheers

IP Logged

seventenths
Forum Font

Re: 44 mag bush rifle
Reply #1 - May 28th, 2018 at 10:38pm
Print Post  
I've had the Ruger .44 Deer Fields which are the older semi auto tube fed models, they were just a 10/22 on steroids.

The .44 was like the hammer of Thor... killed everything dead in its tracks.

If I was to go for another I'd get the Ruger bolt action as their accurate enough, can run sub sonics through them and don't have to worry about cocking a hammer everytime you see an animal and are easier to mount optics.

Cool little round for bush hunting  Cool

“We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors. We borrow it from our children."

IP Logged

X-POACHER-YEAH RYT
Donor Member

Have you ever hunted Middle
Earth?

Reply #2 - May 28th, 2018 at 11:35pm
Print Post  
Plus 1 for .44mag, used for bush hunting, had 3 different ruger semiautos, from when they were first imported to NZ, over 50 rears ago,  Wish I had not sold the last one   ( too many rifles having a rest, at the time).  Smiley

Get as close as you can, then get a bit closer.

IP Logged

MassiveAttack
Forum Font

Setting trends in waterfowling
fashion since 2011

Reply #3 - May 30th, 2018 at 1:21pm
Print Post  
The pig hunter guys all use the Rossi 44 mag because it's about as small a rifle as you can get.  Hard to mount a scope on though but then it's a 44.

Another option is to get a 44 mag AR.  Cheap to shoot, lots of aftermarket bits, looks cool and you can mount a scope on it.

This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine.  Without my rifle I am useless, without me it is useless.

IP Logged

Bowunter

Shoot to thrill

Reply #4 - May 30th, 2018 at 6:45pm
Print Post  
Cheers guys Smiley

IP Logged

Sneaka

I love short range hunting

Reply #5 - May 31st, 2018 at 7:22pm
Print Post  
I use a Ruger 77/44 on p[igs with a red dot. A cracking little rifle. My experience is a bit different to the others. Shooting factory 240 gn JHPs on deer I often have them run dead. Pigs on the other hand seem to go straight down. Strange. The Ruger is the way to go though if you want a 44 mag. Awesome little rifle. Put a 2.5 power scope on it.

IP Logged

Got-ya

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #6 - Jun 1st, 2018 at 5:23pm
Print Post  
The 44 mag is very hard hitting at sensible ranges but have found accuracy highly variable with the available factory ammo, this was with both the Rossi and the Ruger 77/44 ( I was not reloading). I was lucky enough to find a Win94ae trapper  in 3030 which I think is a more versatile bush round. It has more legs and with the 170gr load just as hard hitting.

IP Logged

Flintlock
Donor Member

Reply #7 - Jun 2nd, 2018 at 9:45am
Print Post  
If you want to suppress your rifle get a Ruger 77/44 bolt action , fit a low power 1.5-5 scope or a good quality red dot sight , you can hand load 44 special cases to sub sonic loads easier than 44 mag cases  and they kill like the hammer of thor out to 100m .
If you find a Winchester 94 in 44 mag buy it and dont use it , they are scarce and becoming more and more collectable

Shooting is the most fun you can legally have with your clothes on .
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

IP Logged

crunch

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #8 - Jun 2nd, 2018 at 4:01pm
Print Post  
Theres a suppressed ruger 77/44 in the sports shop in tokoroa for $700 looks like a good buy, cant remember what scope it had on it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards