Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic O Canada! O Caaanada! (Read 1735 times)
clarinetdemon
Just Joined

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

O Canada! O Caaanada!
May 28th, 2018 at 12:56pm
Print Post  
Hey everyone, I had some great replies to my other post so I thought I'd throw out a question (or actually several questions hopefully) about Canada Goose shooting.  I've got a layout blind and I've even made some silhouettes for knocking over some geese and I managed to put them to use earlier this year successfully.  However I still haven't been on a proper goose shooting mission, and I don't really know anyone who is into it so I'm hoping I can meet some like minded hunters who would be keen for an extra gun.  Even if I can just ask some questions about things that would be helpful as well.  I'm based in Dunedin and I do travel around a bit.  Thanks, Ross.

IP Logged

mallardbuster
Forum Font

Bad day hunting beats
a good day working

Re: O Canada! O Caaanada!
Reply #1 - May 28th, 2018 at 1:47pm
Print Post  
Iím no goose hunting but from the wee bit I have done the best thing is scout scout scout,find where they are feeding and from what I have listen too the moon has a lot to do with it also winter geese are harder to hunt than say feb- march geese,Thatís all I know,but am up to learning more, Wink Wink

IP Logged

clarinetdemon
Just Joined

Reply #2 - May 28th, 2018 at 6:26pm
Print Post  
Haha cheers man, yep for sure the geese I managed to con into landing were earlier this year and now the big mobs I've seen have buggered off somewhere.  Super fun doing it when I did it though.

IP Logged

MassiveAttack
Forum Font

Setting trends in waterfowling
fashion since 2011

Reply #3 - May 29th, 2018 at 1:16pm
Print Post  
Gooses change behavior through the season and it's taken me a good 5 years to understand the cycle.  The early season gooses you shoot in feb and march will be the easiest gooses you ever shoot.  I don't know your area so I can't really comment but the Lake Ellesmere gooses are now paranoid because duck season has started and if I wanted to shoot one I would do it on the full moon because they are bloody paranoid in the daylight now.

Two things you could do is come up to Ellesmere and fail to shoot some real paranoid gooses and sign up for the molesworth goose hunt.  I have mates who have a team if you are looking for someone to join.

To find local gooses I would contact F&G and Paul Stenning to see if they know of anything in your area.

Good luck and don't give up!

This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine. †Without my rifle I am useless, without me it is useless.

IP Logged

trippin ova
Forum Senior

Reply #4 - Jun 1st, 2018 at 9:06pm
Print Post  
just to add to that molesworth winter shoot is this coming weekend if you got a tent

IP Logged

clarinetdemon
Just Joined

Reply #5 - Jun 4th, 2018 at 10:23pm
Print Post  
Cheers for the ideas guys, yep I 100% have seen them get more weary as I've watched them this year.  Thanks for the tips and I'll look into Molesworth I've heard good things about it.

IP Logged

MassiveAttack
Forum Font

Setting trends in waterfowling
fashion since 2011

Reply #6 - Jun 6th, 2018 at 4:14pm
Print Post  
clarinetdemon wrote on Jun 4th, 2018 at 10:23pm:
Cheers for the ideas guys, yep I 100% have seen them get more weary as I've watched them this year.† Thanks for the tips and I'll look into Molesworth I've heard good things about it.

trippin ova is in the molesworth team that I was going to hook you up with so PM him.  If you were keen you could also come up to Ellesmere in july to shoot a few hard won ducks if you were keen.

This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine. †Without my rifle I am useless, without me it is useless.

IP Logged

BTMO
Forum Font

Show them you care. Stalk
them.

Reply #7 - Jun 9th, 2018 at 7:10pm
Print Post  
MassiveAttack wrote on Jun 6th, 2018 at 4:14pm:
clarinetdemon wrote on Jun 4th, 2018 at 10:23pm:
Cheers for the ideas guys, yep I 100% have seen them get more weary as I've watched them this year.† Thanks for the tips and I'll look into Molesworth I've heard good things about it.

trippin ova is in the molesworth team that I was going to hook you up with so PM him.† If you were keen you could also come up to Ellesmere in july to shoot a few hard won ducks if you were keen.

Road trip!! Cheesy

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an id10t. (Steven Wright)

IP Logged

clarinetdemon
Just Joined

Reply #8 - Jul 1st, 2018 at 3:49pm
Print Post  
Sweet as I'll see what is in the calendar, cheers for the responses guys you've been very helpful.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards